Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 10:35:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450528 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: December 28, 2014, 11:07:14 AM »

Hey that's cheating! Cheesy I got take a look at this now. Remember to snip areas from the alpha you don't want people rummaging around in guys Shrug

Editing the level thread isn't doing anything for me. Am I supposed to edit the "world" line as well?
It's not cheating, fyi.I'm making a giant map, and it's out of the way, yeah, but you can get there without cheats.

EDIT; btw, yeah, please fix vent-camping by Lizards. I get it would be a natural habit for younglings, but adult Lizard should know that no Slugcat would go through vents if it knew there was always a Lizard at the end.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:31:05 AM by cwearly1 » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2601 on: December 28, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »

hah! well there ARE reasons we didnt include whites, yellows, reds and blues in the actual alpha gameplay...  Who, Me?

every creature wont work well in every room or region of course. its going to be a combination of that specific creature's AI/skillset and the specifics of the level design / spacing of the region in which that creature exist that will make it an effective "creature encounter". Each lizard isn't necessarily "fight it mano a mano in a room". Some are designed to chase you through multiple rooms or other pop up unexpectedly. Anything done messing with setup.txt is basically "debug mode" and wont take into consideration any of that context we're working to create, SO... I wouldn't take too many things you experience while breaking the alpha as reflective of how the game will actually wind up being!

we are planning on eventually also doing a sandbox mode where you CAN just throw critters (who you have unlocked) into a room to battle, but there will be rooms designed specifically for that too
That interactivity between lizards is so good. Sometimes I just watch for 5, 10 minutes as the horde dukes it out over my corpse while Green and White chase down a Blue. It's awesome seeing each lizard using its strengths to steal the slugcat corpse from one another. Purple is super tenacious and tries to retreat into vents and tunnels, White trying to reel the corpse away its tongue, while Green charges in with brute strength.

One time, a Green attacked and killed a Purple, dragged it back to its den. Only happened once though
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:36:01 PM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2602 on: December 28, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »

Sometimes I just watch for 5, 10 minutes as the horde dukes it out over my corpse while Green and White chase down a Blue. It's awesome seeing each lizard using its strengths to steal the slugcat corpse from one another. Purple is super tenacious and tries to retreat into vents and tunnels, White trying to reel the corpse away its tongue, while Green charges in with brute strength.

ok so need to make "slugcat corpse football mode" for lizards, noted! host a rain world version of salty bet. sounds good to me Hand Metal Right

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2603 on: December 28, 2014, 05:26:27 PM »

Not having had the funds to back the Kickstarter at the time I love watching this thread.

GOSH DARN I can't wait to play this some day.  Grin
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: December 28, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »

Hahaha yeah, guys, since you opened that setup.txt you're on your own! Nothing you see from that point were you really intended to see... So have fun, but don't think of the experience as representative.

Cool that you saw a green one hunt a pink one, I've never seen that happen and am actually a little confused about how it would happen o_0 I haven't implemented any such interaction yet. Maybe there's some line of code I forgot in there.

Adding lines to setup.txt won't really do anything more than create bugs, sadly, because the code on the receiving end of the text file does nothing but load the number on each line into an array. Also the game has no idea that there will ever be such a thing as a red lizard, as the creature template isn't defined yet. So, sorry, you'll have to break the game with what you have there already  Cheesy

When it comes to the white lizards knowing where shortcuts lead, I think I mentioned some time ago that I've made the decision to work under the assumption that the AI critters have omniscience of the level layouts. Path finding is really complicated and hard to work with already, and if you also added the complexity of tiles being unknown, and weighting between decisions like taking a known somewhat long path and exploring what could potentially be a shorter path, it would be hell. I literally couldn't do it. Or maybe I could, but in a game that was only and exclusively about that. Also, huuuuuge arrays of data would be required to save what terrain was known and unknown for each creature. And on top of all that I think the player impression would boil down to "the pathfinding is bad", haha!

If the lizard is waiting for you at the exit, why don't you try just popping right back in as soon as you arrive? If you're already holding the direction key to go back as you exit, they shouldn't be able to catch you.
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: December 28, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »

I've been doing just that to avoid campers, but I feel like input responses are a bit delayed on my system for this game. Which makes contending with lizards quite a challenge.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2606 on: December 29, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »

Joar is off to Thailand for a bit (im *quite* jealous), so you'll have to make do with me posting about levels in the meantime

larger: https://i.imgur.com/GcEsoLk.png

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: December 29, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »

Where is the link to the alpha dl?

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: December 30, 2014, 04:16:09 AM »

You should own the game in the Humble Bundle store when you pledged for it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world/posts/1092193
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: December 30, 2014, 06:40:35 AM »

As James is mentioning, I'm in a bit of a vacationy situation here! I seriously doubt I'll be able to stave off workoholism for several days though, so don't worry too much. However I do think that James is in a need for new tiles to work with when making levels, so maybe I'll give that a go the upcoming days rather than programming stuff. Things are chugging along!
qwurp
Level 0

"Oh you make games? Like an app?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2610 on: December 30, 2014, 08:05:20 AM »

Working from Thailand? You may have an addiction... Smiley
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: December 30, 2014, 08:46:17 AM »

Joar is off to Thailand for a bit (im *quite* jealous), so you'll have to make do with me posting about levels in the meantime

larger: https://i.imgur.com/GcEsoLk.png

is that a field of hotdogs
nvm, I'm just hungry
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2612 on: December 30, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »

abandoned hotdog extraction fields. the desolation of rain world is a cautionary tale of what happens in sausage-based economies post peak-hotdog collapse.

@Gimym: PM'd you!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: December 30, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »

Thanks!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2614 on: January 01, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »

Happy New Year's, everyone! Can't wait to see how Rain World evolves in the coming months

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2615 on: January 05, 2015, 03:32:23 AM »

thank you! happy new years to you guys too :D

nothing terribly exciting going on in rain world land the past few days. in between snorkeling in thailand ( Mock Anger ), Joar has been feeding me some pretty fantastic new tiles to work with plus making moves on a palette for the current region and possibly next one as well.

for me new tiles means a lot of time experimenting to see how they look / interact with previous tiles, figuring out how to best utilize them for the type of geometries were trying to explore in the region, etc. hopefully the end result being a distinct look and mood created just with the tiles. then joar slam dunks it with a unique color and lighting palette, like so:

detail: https://i.imgur.com/C87sCFQ.png

Joar would want you to know that the above palette is still very WIP, but im already in love with it.

the lighting and contrast for this region (now called "Heavy Industrial") is a bit tricky to nail down as many of the rooms blend inside and outside elements, so getting the right balance that will work for both aspects winds up being very dependent on the makeup of the individual rooms. so seems like it might be a bit of a back and forth. lookin good so far though  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:40:51 AM by jamesprimate » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2616 on: January 07, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »

whats better than a slugcat? TWO SLUGCATS!

aka co-op multiplayer is now hooked up... in sort of a loose "slap it in the setup.txt" sense. but it works well and feels really fantastic to finally jump around this new world with a friend! even just goofing around with my GF to get footage was dang fun. its been quite some time since i felt that sense of joy when playing (hard to do when you know every single pixel, tick and bit!) so i am suuuuper happy with this new build. Thanks Joar!! Tears of Joy

also note the updated Heavy Industry palette, looks so nice and vaguely toxic Hand Thumbs Up Right

in this region im really trying to give a much larger impression of scale and weight to the rooms. these gifs are some of the earlier attempts, but should give you some indication.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:37:09 PM by jamesprimate » Logged

AxezDNyde
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: January 08, 2015, 04:21:28 AM »

First: Sorry for referring to these awesome gifs after so long.

Just wanted to say a few words about the "light flicker" as you called it, or what I believe to be caustics.
IMO in the upper image in the left part where the caustics are applied to a very dark background and have the same color as the static highlights, the (background) walls seem to be distorted. Well at least that was my very first impression when looking at the image. Now that I kept staring at it, it doesn't so much spring to my eye anymore.
On a second note, the frequency of the caustics seems to fit the lower image more. It's source is light reflected and refracted from the water-air border and as such it should somehow be related to the frequencey that the water surface is wobbling. (Of course there is also static caustic effects caused by wet walls and the like. But these would not move at all)

I love how you turned up the distortion effect near the water surface and increased the transparency to emphasize the border. Turns out to be quite effective!
Keep up the good work!

Axez, Grant Ed.
akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »

YES! i would love love love to see this! i was hoping someone would. in addition to maybe helping players, it will be a good measure for us to see how much of the region people can uncover and make sense of. we've been debating if/how we want to deal with an in-game map (if any), so this would give us some good info.

Also, this region will likely be trimmed and cleaned up quite a bit in second round, so all the above would apply there too.

I've been working on a map as well, and actually I just finished mine today: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53786988/RWmap/map%201.0.png
8.1 MB, 6070x5374px. I like how big and complicated this region is - got myself lost more than few times, but always somehow ended up in region I knew and could get back to lair sooner or later. The way I see it now, it's good enough as it is despite few spots that need fixing. The bigger the better Smiley I don't know how far I could get with default rain-cycle time though - after I got caught in rain a few times while being stuck with lizards around (back when I didn't know how to deal with them in some permanent way) I just have set this to some high number.
Also, is feedback on gameplay and all that welcome?

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: January 08, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »

It seems most mechanics are planned for further polish, but the devs haven't really been hesitant to respond to feedback. Go for it.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic