Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 04:06:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForge On - procedurally generated​ open world space combat sim
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Forge On - procedurally generated​ open world space combat sim  (Read 13808 times)
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »

I have all of the pieces in that I wanted for the pre-alpha tech demo I will be releasing.  Here is a brief preview of the gameplay.  The demo should be available in a bit at IndieDB.  I will be updating the initial post of this thread and a subsequent post once the demo has been approved for download.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/forge-on

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »

Alright, demo is up.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/forge-on/downloads/pre-alpha-tech-demo1

Instructions:

Unzip and run 'Forge On - PATD' executable. No installation required.

I'm looking for feedback, if you are so inclined please let me know:

• What do you like about the game?
  • What annoyed you about the game (if anything)?
  • Is there something you would like to see added?
  • Is there something you would like to see removed?
  • How could the game be made awesome!?

Thank you and enjoy!

*Please Note: There are a number of bugs in the demo that I have yet to fix and although I would be interested to hear about any bugs you may come across I'm far more interested in your overall impression. Thanks!
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2017, 01:12:23 AM »

nice work!

My last game:

Supporter of
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2017, 06:57:47 AM »

nice work!

Thanks for checking it out!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »

Working on a procedural mesh.  There are a couple things I would like to try to use these with, but I thought someone might find it interesting.

Don't forget to check out the Pre-Alpha Tech Demo at:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/forge-on/downloads/pre-alpha-tech-demo1

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »

Is the demo pc only? Or do us mac people get some love? =D

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »

Is the demo pc only? Or do us mac people get some love? =D

At the moment it's just on PC.  Certainly worth looking into.  I'm developing on PC, so the process of putting it into Mac takes a little more effort.  I have to transfer it after build before testing .

Anyway, I will have to see how practical it is .
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »

This video demonstrates the new Camera First movement scheme being used in Forge On. 

Thank you to all of those people who took the time to play the tech demo and give your feedback.  I believe it will greatly enhance the game-play.  This change is certainly evidence of that.

Looking at updating the combat AI and adding a couple of features before releasing the next demo.  I will also attempt to build a Mac version at that time.

Enjoy!

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »

Adding some points of interest for the players.  What would a space game be without something to explore?  This asteroid is almost entirely procedurally generated; once completed it will be entirely so.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »

It's been an interesting week, was looking at various aspects of the game and ended up putting in some more work into the ship movement of all things.  There is always room for improvement. Wizard

I've also added a full asteroid to the scene, gives some real perspective on to how it might be used.  My plans at the moment are to add interesting things inside some of these asteroids.  Materials / enemies, etc. 

I've also fixed the triplanar shader I am using for the asteroids (both destructible and non).  I suspect some of you will be able to see the difference immediately.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »

I would like building ships to be far easier than they are currently so I'm testing out a new idea.  Let me know what you think.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2017, 08:40:06 AM »

Maybe if it was in the game context? I can't tell what the cubes and tubes are supposed to represent.

Anyway it's neat, but the previous way of ship creating was more intuitive from what I could see in the vids. (I'm sorry, I haven't gotten around to playing the demo, job got in the way Tongue)
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »

Maybe if it was in the game context? I can't tell what the cubes and tubes are supposed to represent.

Anyway it's neat, but the previous way of ship creating was more intuitive from what I could see in the vids. (I'm sorry, I haven't gotten around to playing the demo, job got in the way Tongue)

No worries, the movement scheme has changed since the demo was released.  Probably better to wait for the next one anyway. 

The cubes and cylinders are meant to represent various parts, it will make more sense once it's closer to completion.  This system is surprisingly polarizing; some people like it and some don't.  That being said, this system solves six or more technical and conceptual problems I was running into with the other system.  So at least for the time being I will be working towards this option.  I hope once I have some more UI indicator the system will show everyone it's potential.   
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »

Further improvements to the new construction system.  Starting to look like a ship again.  I've also been able to flush out a lot of the game mechanics this week that were causing me trouble.  Which I hope means production on the actual game (not just tech) will commence!

Should be more clear what the system will be capable of now.  Thoughts?

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2017, 06:12:58 AM »

I love how you move and rotate the pieces even after the original placement!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

I love how you move and rotate the pieces even after the original placement!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks man!
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2017, 08:04:30 AM »

Took a small break this week to work on another POI.  Procedurally created/destroyed ship parts.  These will hide various parts for the player to find.  They will look different each time they are found too.

BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »

Integrated the new build system into the game.  Should be able to create some interesting ships with it.  Took a few things out to get this integrated for the week but should be able to reintegrate those soon.

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »

I love the engine flares on your mini X-wing Smiley
BeardLogic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:19 AM »

Haha, thanks.  I think there a tad oversized at the moment but they're working
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print