Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:05:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Atlas King
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Atlas King  (Read 2772 times)
savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »

The Atlas King

The Atlas King is a Local Multiplayer 2D SideScroller with Sword combat inspired by Blades of Steel, and up to 16 player local tournaments.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:23:27 PM by savethejets » Logged

Twitter: @Savethejets
savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »

I spent today updating the camera system

I've gone for something close to Super Mario World.

There are 3 basic systems in play

1. x position follow camera with the Y position based on the last platform you landed on. If the current one you land on is 2 tiles greater than the last one it shifts the Y position.
2. x/y fast follow. This one is for when the player is falling and we need the camera to keep up to where the player is falling to.
3. deadzone camera that ignores any movement until it's moved a certain distance. This one allows you to slightly nudge the player closer to a ledge without moving the camera

I put up a youtube video demonstrating this stuff.

I've also done a write up on my website

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 04:15:31 PM »

Update:

After much play testing I felt I was missing the core parts of this idea that made it fun. So last weekend I shifted the focus of the game pretty drastically.

The Atlas King is now a retro farming sim match 3 roguelike.

Just Kidding.

I've shifted to focus solely on Multiplayer and ditched the Single player part. Battling against the computer wasn't really panning out, and kind of missed the aspects of Blades of Steel fighting that I really enjoyed.

And so after playing this with a few different groups in the last week and getting a much more positive response to the game, that's the direction I'm headed in now.

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »

Also here's a screen shot of what it looks like currently

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »

The combat looks pretty good! I like it.
savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »

The combat looks pretty good! I like it.

Thanks!

I really hope I can capture that controller throwing, insult slinging feeling that great blades of steel matches could induce.

As for an update:

I spent last night working on a dash effect (hopefully the blur comes across in the gif).

I'm not sure if the dash will even stay in there tbh (I have to do more play testing with it) but I do like that it opens up new platforming skill possibilities.

Also I'm not sure I really like the white particle explosion-to-start-the-blur thing, does anyone have any suggestions for improving that? ( or really any of the other pixel art, I'm pretty horrible at it )

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:46:27 AM »

Here's a screen cap of me playing against a dev friend of mine. I'm not sure the combat is 100% where I want it to be in the end, so I'm going to spend some time on that in the next little while.

What I have been up to is creating a new Lava/Cave/Castle tile set. Still a WIP

Oh, I also tweaked the dash effect a bit. I added little particles that collide with the environment.

ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

This looks really great.
The zooming of the camera is really smooth and I like it!
savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »

I've been working on a Tournament Feature. You can select 4, 8, or 16 player tournaments. (I'm not sure how to support uneven number of players at the moment. So if you have any suggestions that would be great!)

It has it's basis in old Blades of Steel tournaments my friends and I used to have after school. The game didn't support anything like that, so we had to draw them up on paper. But they were still pretty epic.

Also.

I'm demoing the game at Calgary Maker Faire (makerfaireyyc.com) on Sept 6th and 7th. Should be a good time. If you live in Calgary, AB Come on down and give the game a try.

I'm going to try and take some footage of the event and I'll post it here after. also I'm planning on organizing a big 16 player tournament, so hopefully I can get all the bugs out of that before hand :D

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:09:26 AM »

Oh also, I have a started a rough cut at the theme music. Thought people might like to hear the first draft.

https://soundcloud.com/code-herd/atlas-king-theme-rough-cut

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »

So I've spent a little bit of time working on dynamic lighting.

I'm using Unity +ToolKit2d and there's not a ton of info on the web around simple 2d lighting. So maybe I can help some people out by doing a write up on how I accomplished it in The Atlas King.

(If you want to see it in action check out

)

I was having a lot of issues getting the ToolKit2d Tilemaps to work with the unity based lighting so I had to go another route...

What I eventually landed on is pretty simple. All you need to do is to add a colour layer to your toolkit2d TileMap, and go around and fill in the dark parts with a dark blue tone. Then wherever you have a light you paint around it with the light colour. After that on the Sprites that you want to react to the light, all you have to do is add a simple script which sets the sprite colour to be whatever the tilemap's colour layer value is at the sprite's position. The Nice thing about this is you can sort of blend the colour layer between the dark and light values so you can slowly fade the light out.

using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class SetToTilemapColor : MonoBehaviour {

public tk2dTileMap tilemap;

private SpriteRenderer spriteRenderer;

// Use this for initialization
   void Start () {
      spriteRenderer = GetComponent<SpriteRenderer> ();
   }

// Update is called once per frame
   void Update () {
      Vector2 position = transform.position;

Color color = tilemap.GetInterpolatedColorAtPosition (position);

spriteRenderer.color = color;
   }
}

Anyways, hope this helps someone.

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »

Spent some time working on the backgrounds to the levels.

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »

Hey,

Super PRE ALPHA ALPHA gamma Available here

You'll need 2 Controllers to play

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45287.0

All feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

savethejets
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »

I've probably typed up 3 versions of this post, so I'll just say it.

I've decided to cancel this project.

I don't really know what to say. I've poured my heart into this project for the last year... but... it's not really going well.

I really think the only thing to do at this point is to cancel and move on, take what lessons I can from this and start again.

It sucks, I feel like I've let myself down. (hahah...If I had fans I would have let them down too. One of the benefits of obscurity I guess) but it is what it is.

Pick myself up/ dust off and all that jazz.

MuckPie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

I've probably typed up 3 versions of this post, so I'll just say it.

I've decided to cancel this project.

I don't really know what to say. I've poured my heart into this project for the last year... but... it's not really going well.

I really think the only thing to do at this point is to cancel and move on, take what lessons I can from this and start again.

It sucks, I feel like I've let myself down. but it is what it is.

Pick myself up/ dust off and all that jazz.

That's a shame. It was looking quite awesome! But, I can understand why you've decided to move on.

Best of luck on your future projects!
jamornh
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »

Hey,

Super PRE ALPHA ALPHA gamma Available here

You'll need 2 Controllers to play

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45287.0

All feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that. The game looked great and seemed to be coming along. Do you mind sharing what was not going well? Was it personal life or was it something wrong with the game design?

Anyway, good luck on your next project!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic