Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:52:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopvirtual boy mockup
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: virtual boy mockup  (Read 2862 times)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »

I did the sketch a long time ago and just decided to start working on it again. I plan to work on it periodically.

retouched sprites

I would love to hear your thoughts and advice while finishing this.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »

No readabilitiy in the bottom two mockups. The top right one is excellent, though.
I like the use of thick brushes in your WIPs, reminds me of im9today.

Really, I think you just need to find a good way of separating background, foreground, and entities from eachother in those bottom two.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:50:19 AM »

Which is done with 3D on the virtual boy.....
No readabilitiy in the bottom two mockups. The top right one is excellent, though.

Really, I think you just need to find a good way of separating background, foreground, and entities from eachother in those bottom two.
Adam F.
Level 1

hold your head up high

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:28:17 AM »

I think they look fantastic. I agree with Inane about the separation of foreground and background in the last two shots, but I really love what you've got going here. Keep it up!

(I might also mention I'm a sucker for anything mythological/Roman/Greek Tongue)

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:14:02 AM »

Just darken the sky color a few shades in the lower ones, and you'll be set. See the darker shade of the ground outline in the upper-right one? Something like that would work best, there.

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »

I think they look fantastic. I agree with Inane about the separation of foreground and background in the last two shots

thirded! this looks pretty damn good My Word!

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 10:01:01 AM »

Agreed, the top left one looks great, but the character and enemies are somewhat lost in the bottom two. Darkening the background somewhat would probably help some.

One suggestion I would make for the bottom left one specifically: At first glance I thought the background was actually snow-covered mountain peaks, rather than a clear sky with white clouds. You could change the sky to a slightly darker mountain background in the middle third of the screen (where the characters and enemies are going to be mostly), with the tops being just about where the clouds are now, and then keep the current lighter colour above them to show the sky. You would have some layered colour while at the same time it wouldn't be as dark as the cave environment in the top left one, preserving the distinction between the two. The ground blocks in the bottom-left one could also use a colour tweak to differentiate them from the background

For the last one, where it looks like the protagonist is flying, perhaps you could make it night time, thereby also warranting a slightly darker background?

I do love the art style though, and the enemies remind me of classics like Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Bonk, or... Mac and Joe: Caveman Ninja (I think that's what it was called).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:06:54 AM by Destral » Logged

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:15:13 PM »

@All
Thanks for all the great feedback guys.
I actually started working on the real sprites today.

So what do you think?
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »

I really like it!

However, the chest really seems to be rendered in more of a top-down perspective than everything else. The highlights on the upper 'embossed' edges and the fact that it slightly overlaps the ground are the main problems, I think.

Also, compared to the player character, the chest is a bit on the small side.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »

@Plasticware
Thank you, is this any better?

I also started working on the HUD. It's supposed to look somewhat Greek/Roman.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic