Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 06:09:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopTop Down Maze Shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Top Down Maze Shooter  (Read 2039 times)
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »

Hey hey!  I'm working the art side of a Flash game, a simple top-down maze shooter thingy.  We're nearing the end of the project, but there's still room for some improvements on my side of things, so I'm very interested in hearing any thoughts on the stuff.  In the interest of time we went with a super simple style.

Player sprite and pickups are the top row, enemies on the bottom, and our walls on the right: At the moment all we've got is blocks and not actual wall/contour tiles, and I'm still fiddling with those.

Asplosions.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:58:18 AM »

I think a dark/complementary background would do wonders. I also think the sprites could use some AA and a different palette.

Here's an example image I did to illustrate what more could be improved.

I hope it's self explanatory.

On the other hand, I do really like the player his shape! I also think the second and last implosion are great. Keep it up.

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »

You are a god, Green.  I never realize before just how light the background was!  I want to keep the 'scanline' inspired computer background, but I might take some inspiration from the stars there.   Grin

The colors are all also awesome.  I just sort of knee jerked towards a really primary scheme.  I'll get some more stuff up ASAP.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:25:57 AM »

Maybe something more like this then?

those greens on the side are placeholder details and walls. But you probably get the idea. I can't wait to see your progress.
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:02 AM »

Yaargh that is slick!

This is the direction I've been moving in so far.  :D

I took the hue ideas for the player ship and some AA and spruced it up.  I left the pure white in there in places and used it a bit to emphasize parts of things.  I don't know if that's a mortal sin or something, ehehe.

I went darker and more complementary with the background colors, and put some light texture in there, sort of inspired by your sky.  The enemies WILL eventually have their own palettes, but for now I'm just doing them all in a more vibrant yellow/orange and using negative space to push their identities.  

Thoughts in particular?  Grin

EDIT: http://jrjellybeans.net/flashGames/zoomPlanePilot.php  We have a demo of the game with mostly up-to-date assets in motion! 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:28:59 PM by P-Flute » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic