Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:04:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHelp with graphical content
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help with graphical content  (Read 2387 times)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »

Hey guys, I'm doing some quick graphics for a game. "He will create a game topic soon"
And I could really use your opinions, help and feedback before I continue.

On another hand I could also use feedback on some emoticons I did for a collab on pixeljoint.

cheers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:52:03 AM by green » Logged
LDuncan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »

Hey, looks great. I almost always really like your stuff--can't wait to see your game topic show up.

Only thing that's bothering me are the "human" characters' torso/shoulders/arms. In some instances, it seems like the arms are too skinny or that their shoulders come out of their ribcage (mainly just the left-most pink-haired one).

Emoticons look good--can't think of anything I don't like about them.
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »

The straight outline of the side of the goblin's heads bothers me. I adjusted the colors some more to my liking in promotion for fun as well. I toned down the hilights on the stones and just varied the saturation mostly as well. No need to post it as it's not major changes. Also, is the brown shirted person a woman? Have you tried a side pose yet?
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »

Kiss

Green, if I was rich I throw cash moneys at you until you never had to do anything other than make sprites for the rest of your life.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Kramlack
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »

Firstly, gotta say I love this mock-up and I can't wait to see the finished game. Always been a big fan of you art. Moving on, I'd like to start off with an edit of your purple chest. Here's a comparison of your version (left) to my edit (right);

Going into detail about the edit, I made the lightest shade of purple less, for lack of a better word, obnoxious. It doesn't stand out so much from the other shades now. This was probably my biggest gripe with the original. Going on ahead, I used a base as an example to keep the shading consistent overall. I've included a step by step below showing this process;

Finally, I've done another version of my edit. The left one being the original and the right showing off a solid line of colour where the purple meets the gold on the top half of the chest.

It's a veeeery slight change and barely even noticeable in 1x but I felt it was worth mentioning. In any case, hopefully you'll find it helpful, I know editing your version definitely helped me learn a bit.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »

@LDuncan
Thank you man, I hope the female template looks better on dark backgrounds now.

@thedaemon
I would love to see some of the color edits.
No it's a man. And there's no need for sideviews in this game, so I won't be doing them.

@Destral
Thanks you, I appreciate it a lot.

@Kramlack
Thanks a lot for the edit. I think the perspective on your chest is a bit weird though so I did my own edit.

I'm also working on a bosstype mob as you can see. C&C greatly appreciated.
thedaemon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »

Why kind of game are you making, as I'm confused to not having a side view.  WTF I'll do a bit of the color editing at another time as I'm a bit intoxicated ATM. Beer! Mainly my issues with the colors are too similar shades, but I guess pictures are worth 1000 words. So I'm told... Addicted
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:38 PM »

This looks great Green Any updates?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »

@thedaemon
The game is a dungeon crawler that resembles the game nethack. It doesn't use any animated sprites. Just separate animations for attacks and text.

@Damian
I have been on holidays and such. So I didn't have the time untill now.

Here's some new content, and some stuff I didn't show yet.

I appreciate every comment that will help me make this better.

ps. If you guys want to try the first demo, you can get it on the creators website.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:50:55 AM by green » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »

Minotaur looks great, Green. Red and blue slimes don't read at all. Can't tell what the issue is preciesly but it looks like the metal armor on the human is too high value range compared to the rest of the stuff. Stylistically clashes and makes his arms look funky (you could retain the metal sheen by keeping the highlights, just making the darkest few colors blend in with the background less)

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
stef1a
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:39:29 AM »

Not sure if this is just me, but the lighting on top of the two green guys in the lower right of the top pic looks too square to me. It's understandable if you want their heads to be rectangular, but it bothers me.  Shrug
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 08:51:49 AM »

@Inane
Thanks for the feedback, I'll play with the colors a bit more.

@stef1a
I made the head less angular, just for you.

Here are some changes I made because of some feedback I got.

As you can see I also included the font I did for the game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic