Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:39:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSoldier Concept Help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Soldier Concept Help  (Read 1483 times)
Ferretypie
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »

Hey guys, second topic in this workshop place and I have another concept piece!
Unfortunately its not quite as polished as the first one, but it needs every bit of love it can get!
Theres something very off about it, but I can't quite put my finger on it, I was wondering if you guys could help!
If needs be, I can post up the original pencil sketch too!
Cheers!

P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »

Well, first things first: What's the concept intended for?  That would determine a few things.

I think what's really off about it is how unbalanced it (the silhouette) is.  Asymmetry is fine (and often desirable for characters you want to stand out), but having the one sleeve missing and everything else normal just really pulls everything way too much in one direction.  Either try and add more asymmetrical elements that balance it (I'd recommend going with either a triangle: draw attention to the head and leg on the opposite side of the bare arm, or just trying to tone down the difference between the two arms: Maybe have the other sleeve rolled up to some degree, to try and make the difference less jarring.)

You could also potentially play up the imbalance; make the arms contrast eachother even more so the lack of balance at least looks like a deliberate choice.  I don't know if I'd recommend that as much; It would be a little more difficult to pull off, and would sort of affect the visual personality of the character.  Maybe in a way compatible with what you're going for, but.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »

Legs are way too short! The bare arm is also kind of strange, like he's a pretty muscular dude with no biceps at all. Pretty much, widen that thin part of his upper arm.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:53:08 AM »

^ Above two are dead-on. Especially about the legs. Also, his center of balance is off - I like how he's leaning to his left, but his left foot (the one he's balancing on) should be directly under his head.

That said, I like the pose, and that you don't just have him standing there.

...what's on his nose?  Blink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic