Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 12:16:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopAnimating a Sprite: No clue where to start! :(
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Animating a Sprite: No clue where to start! :(  (Read 2046 times)
Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2011, 12:53:43 AM »

So I have this sprite

And I have no clue where to start animating it!  So I perhaps want to start out with a skeleton layer, or something less extravagant. 

Its going to be a very fast looking game so I want the animation to be fast and I am just lost my friends(She is also carrying a minigun hence the arm across her chest :D ).  Any help WHAT-so-ever is GREATLY appreciated.

And thanks for the help getting me this far, it has been great fun!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 01:46:27 AM »

Not sure if you should listen to me but;

I usually start by just moving the limbs and making jerky and derpy animation to get the basic feel of the animation, then start redrawing the final sprites over the frames.

But that sprite has way too many colors, imo.

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:30:27 AM »

Yup, I'm not a pixel artist, but I think the gradation is a little bit too much. Why don't make it cell shaded.
For animation, well... I usually make body parts instead of having the whole character. Then when animating, I put those body parts in wanted position.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »

usually you draw some "key frames", which are drawn from scratch in new poses. then you can rotate/move copied bits from the key frames to form the tween frames.

watching how other animators work always helps! here's a video by pietepiet/Paul Veer

blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

LINK

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »

Awesome video!  That helps a lot for watching the process that I mean I have no idea where to start Tongue

And the animation movement lines are great too, are they from the Animation Encyclopedia?

As a note, I have been working hard on this project lately and the cow has turned into a two frame running animation that looks... almost acceptable :S  It kinda fits the speed of the game concept.

Thanks for all the super help guys!  Have a great time guys!

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic