Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:46:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopTrying to Improve at Art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trying to Improve at Art  (Read 1760 times)
Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »

I've been wanting to get better at drawing for a while, so I decided to start a thread here. I figure I'll post things here as I draw them, and try to use feedback to improve whatever I do next.

So here's the first thing:

Thanks. Smiley
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »

I don't think the guy looks bad, per se... but the proportions are out of whack. He looks like he would be a tall guy, so I think you should make his legs and torso longer. Also, the shoulders are really wide, they should be closer together.

Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:18 PM »

I don't think the guy looks bad, per se... but the proportions are out of whack. He looks like he would be a tall guy, so I think you should make his legs and torso longer. Also, the shoulders are really wide, they should be closer together.

Yes, the shoulders! They're the only thing killing it right now. I dig the cartoony style, especially in the head/face, but the anatomy could definitely use some work. Try bringing his shoulders in a LOT, and fixing up his right arm - the pectoral muscle should come in OVER it not under, as the shading suggests, and the elbow and shoulder are oddly shaped, being too sharp and too round respectively. Grin

(also, to nitpick, his right hand is angled strangely - turn it a bit more toward us, the camera)

Gorgoo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »

Threads like this are a great idea, but having people nitpick your drawings is almost never helpful. Just draw! Draw from life, draw from photos, and most importantly draw from imagination. The more you do it the better you will get.

I don't know; I had noticed some problems with the shoulders, but the details people mentioned helped. And I hadn't noticed the problem with the torso and leg size.

Plus, I don't plan on going back and perfecting each picture (that would probably get me nowhere), but instead to use nitpicking to actively try and prevent problems in future drawings.

But for the next one, I'll try to put up something I'm not very good at. Maybe a picture with a lot of motion going on or something.

And thanks again.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »

It's not perfect but keep practicing and it will become good

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »

Threads like this are a great idea, but having people nitpick your drawings is almost never helpful. Just draw! Draw from life, draw from photos, and most importantly draw from imagination. The more you do it the better you will get.

I disagree! Well, with the first part. Having people tell you something is wrong is a great way to learn what you need to improve. Of course drawing as much as possible is the best way to get better, but unless you get feedback as well, you run the risk of getting better at drawing something incorrectly or badly, which is useless. "Nitpicking" should probably be avoided, but all feedback is useful. Now that a few people have pointed out problems with the shoulders, Gorgoo knows that (s)he may do well to look into shoulder anatomy.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic