Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 09:24:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSome Enemies
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Some Enemies  (Read 1430 times)
GeoffBorchers
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »

Okay, so I've made these for a small game project I'm working on, with 9x characters and tiles. The three on the right are varying types of enemies and the one on the left is the main character/hero. So yeah, just thought I'd get a little criticism on these.

1x
3x
Jesse
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »

Hi GeoffBorchers!

So, the first thing I notice is that your main character looks just like your enemies! I know they're small and humanoid (and that he's got a different hat) but this is something you should definitely avoid. I'd suggest making your hero different somehow, so (s)he's memorable and unique.

As far as technique, it's tricky working with tiny sprites. I notice you've ditched the black outline on the lower half of the sprite - most likely because you didn't have room for it. I think this is a good decision. I've actually started a tutorial series on this subject that might help you out. I'd suggest following through on the top of the sprites, getting rid of the black outlines. You have limited room, so try making every pixel count, using these for a bit of shading and highlighting.

Will try to give you some edits later, when I'm not at work!

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:38:17 AM »

Yeah, I'd say they're not bad, pretty nice, except they all look about the same with different colors.

GeoffBorchers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

I recognize that they look very similar, but the sprites aren't being displayed in-game at 1x, so that helps a little. I will definitely work on differentiating the enemies from the hero though, because you're right, they shouldn't look the same.

I'll also take a look into using that outline for shading. I appreciate your feedback, and look forward to your take on it Jesse! Thank you :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic