Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411618 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 12:41:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIndiana Rodent (platform game with lots of secrets)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indiana Rodent (platform game with lots of secrets)  (Read 1720 times)
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:10:58 AM »

Indiana Rodent: Raiders of the Lost Cheese is a fast-paced platform game. Take the role of the Mouse With The Hat and go in search of the vaunted lost cheese. Traverse forests, deserts, and the halls of illusion; jump over hedgehogs, hitch a ride on a turtle, and evade vicious snakes - all for the reward of more cheese than you could ever eat, and what more could a mouse want?

This platform game is written in Adventure Game Studio, as an experiment for the versatility of that engine. It runs under Windows and Linux (Ubuntu for sure, probably other variants as well). It has a stable version now; the graphics and jump physics have been improved a lot over the first draft; but I would still appreciate feedback. Of course the game also has a number of secrets and unlockables, and the viciously cute Moby Duck as a boss monster.

This game used to be part of the Bake Sale, a fundraiser for charity; but it is now available as freeware. You can download the full game here: http://crystalshard.net/zip/I_RODENT.ZIP - it has ten levels, a hidden item in each, and four difficulty ratings.

Enjoy and please tell me what you think of it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 07:21:49 AM by Radiant » Logged

LegacyCrono
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:55 AM »

I couldn't play it as the game window doesn't refresh. :/
If I move the window around, it redraws, but otherwise it just stay there frozen. I can hear the jump sound and all but I can't see anything.  Sad
Windows 7 64 bits here, by the way.
Radiant
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:23:12 AM »

Hm, that's odd. Could you try using the accompanying winsetup program to switch the game to fullscreen mode or some other resolution, and see if that helps?

LegacyCrono
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:54:58 AM »

No difference on 320x240. On fullscreen I saw the logo, then everything went black.
Radiant
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:17:46 AM »

To be honest I have no idea what's causing this. The game is written in AGS, which normally has no problem with Windows7. In this thread, someone else with Win7 has no problem running it. Is there anything else you can say about your system setup that might be helpful?

heitorburger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »

Hi Radiant,

The game ran fine on my machine (Also a Windows 7 64 bits).

I didn't get to the end, stopped at the part where there's a bunch of single blocks with spikes moving around each of them.

The controls were good, the only thing I didn't like was the sliding after I landed a jump... It reminded me of some platformer snow levels. Also, I think you should make some elements stand out less, and have the cheese do something. At the first chesse I thought the game would end, and I felt like jumping to my death a few times because there were things that looked like items.

But good job overall  Wink.

leonelc29
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »

This feedback might sound abit harsh and incomplete, but it's 2.30am here and i'm dead tired. Feel free to ignore it. Yawn

just play it, but i must say, the control need alot of attention(will talk about later).

i have a question, did you actually play it before release for feedback? i know it sound really harsh, but still...

ok, what ever.

the level is somehow tricking me to go the wrong path. there's some graphical stuff that stand out too much, that trick me into death. for example...

this one. there's two thing i wan to talk about. let's start with number one.

the extra platform(that the mouse are currently standing at) trick me into thinking that there were a path down there where i suppose to go, as i notice that the path above are too small to go through. and when i jump down(#1), i realize it's not an actual path. then i realize that i can't get up from that point(#2), which there's only 2 option left for me to do, 1)drop down into bottomless pit and die, and 2)jump up to the spike and die. i don't get the point of putting an extra platform there, but i do think that you're playing some kind of tricking-player-death-trap or some sort, which i don't really mind about that.

and then the number 2, which is....

the problem here is not really about tricking, but it's the layout design's problem. #1 shows the path that the player are suppose to jump to get through the place, but the problem is, when i jump, the mouse hit the (invisible) sky ceiling and fell down(#2). i know that to get through that place, the player need to light tap the jump and go through it with the minor jump. there's some place which also suffer some layout design problem, but i will leave it to other people to discover as i also didn't get too far.

now it's the problem with the control, which make the game 200% harder. it take way too long to acceleration and deceleration, and thus it make it feel like it's an ice level, which is the thing that everyone hate in platformer. braking, jump over a gap, stop at the one square box, all of these are harder because of the acceleration/deceleration problem. oh, you might also need a minimum jump height. the current minimum jump are only 1-3 pixel high. and i also notice that sometime i jump higher and sometime not.
-Rob-D.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »

That happened while I was attempting the jump. Even though you probably meant that to be a tight squeeze I think you should lower the cliff or change the level around.

I also agree with heitortsergent and Leonelc about the slippery controls. When you're just starting to move it's pretty stiff but the momentum you end up with is weird. I got to the "your cheese is in another castle" text but stopped there after dying.

Radiant
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I think the most important point here is that acceleration to max speed, and deceleration to zero, should both be faster to avoid slipperiness. Although I'll probably add an ice level with the current settings too Smiley

I'll remove those objects that look important but really aren't; also, the invisible ceiling needs to be replaced with actual vertical scrolling. I'll keep you posted as to what I come up with.

Radiant
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »

Bump Smiley

I've created an updated version, with improved jump physics and graphics, vertical scrolling, more enemies, several more levels, and a boss monster. Oh yeah, and with secrets and unlockables too. Hey, game design is fun!

Check the top post for details, and comments are welcome!

Radiant
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »

I would like to inform everyone that the fundraiser has successfully run its course, and since it's now a year later game is now available as freeware. Please check it out and tell me if you like it; I'm interested in expanding this concept further (with better background art and more enemies/objects) and either release a level editor and/or turn it into a Metroidvania.

http://crystalshard.net/zip/I_RODENT.ZIP

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic