Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 03:13:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOne Small Step for Man's Best Friend
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: One Small Step for Man's Best Friend  (Read 716 times)
jbohlken
Level 0

Co-founder of The Scary Farm

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »

Hello!

My name is Jared. I'm a college student in an introductory video game design class. Our most recent project was to create an experimental game in which we are now supposed to gather feedback from various sources (I was referred to this forum by my teacher).

The game in question is here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/TheJaredB/one-small-step-for-mans-best-friend

The game lasts about 5 minutes. I know there are a few minor bugs to fix; I'm mostly looking for general feedback about the overall emotional effect of the game.

Thank you!

Co-founder of The Scary Farm
makallenz
Level 0

Game artist and animator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »

The emotion for me is I'm pretty confused but the atmosphere is alright. It definitely says something. I don't know what. It's peaceful. I sort of get what you are doing but it takes waaaaaaaaaay too long. Barely anyone will get the message at this rate. Unless that is your intent. Overall I have no idea what I can add. Clearly you weren't going for a traditional game. I have no barometer that I can use to help sorry.
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »

I don't know why you didn't get feedback until now, but anyway I would just like to express what jetpacklover said as well. Nice atmosphere, but a real patience tester.

Is the message: A dog would follow it's master anywhere? Even in the depths of space? (not that the moon is very far but, y'know.)

draconiansolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »

I'll have to agree in the fact that it is really slow.
Not only the pacing is slow but the controls actually have a very slow response and it feels as if dragging a big weight (which makes sense, it must feel horribly claustrophobic to be in the moon, trapped inside a spacesuit).
I realize this might be completely intentional but It's a fast world and it's nice to show people you value the time they are giving to your creations. I have seen games that are intentionally slow paced but they reward the time investment showing different things, telling stories, giving small things to do while the message is sent.
Jisho
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:45:37 PM »

The game seemed very slow.
However, I found it very relaxing overall with the sound, space, and pace. The dog barking though broke the relaxation for me in the long run. Everything seems to be slow and "spacey" until the dog bark which is so clear I feel like it breaks it all. Should have done some kind of filtering on the dog sound or just gotten a completely different sound. Also around the end of the oxygen supply I was not really enjoying the ambient music anymore, could have been the dog, or could have been the cord progression you went with around the end, not sure.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic