Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:13:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingVisorman is defeating your 'Generic Army Guy' and gaming industry norms on OUYA
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Visorman is defeating your 'Generic Army Guy' and gaming industry norms on OUYA  (Read 576 times)
PolygonGaming
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:40:56 PM »

Visorman
Coming to OUYA mid 2013

I haven’t bought a retail title in quite a while; all of those memories are gone. The gaming industry (at least to me) has become bland and overrun by formula. Where as back when I socially played games (and still do play the very same games today) games were quite innovative, strategic, and other factors that I could list forever, games these days lack those factors, and reuse and re-employ popular factors used in the best selling game. *cough* Call of Duty/Halo/Gear of War. 99% of first person shooters available on the market today employ some kind of iron-sight feature (Aim down sights for some), a generic setting, usually involving some kind of war, where as you play as a ‘Generic Army Guy’, a Super Soldier, or some other character that you cannot connect with whatsoever. AI Bot support in multiplayer has been replaced by online features, and most FPS’ do not even have splitscreen anymore to begin with.

Visorman brings it all back.

'Bu.. But Who is Visorman?'

Visorman is being developed for the Android platform and is planned for release on OUYA (and possibly other formats later on) in mid 2013. Visorman is a superspy whom wears a black visor over his eyes. He stars in his own game which is massively inspired by FPS’ of old, such as ‘Goldeneye 64’, ‘Perfect Dark’, and the massively underrated ‘XIII’ (one of my favourite games to date, to be honest.) Visorman’s mission is to steal and destroy the modern day formulas; his enemies being the culprits responsible for the decline of todays gaming industry, including the ‘Generic Army Guy’ and the ‘Generic Super Soldier’. The levels, playing out like retro titles such as Goldeneye, are inspired by the games of old, yet will be satirically placed in environments similar to popular games of today. For example, the first mission takes place in a typical army base, located in a generic desert-like place, which most would assume is ‘Afgan’, or something of the like.

Even the controls are a-like to your FPS’ that you would play on a Nintendo 64. Visorman controls with a control style that I hadn't used since 'Goldeneye 64', or '007 Nightfire'; he controls with only one thumbstick rather than the 'Dual-Thumbstick' control scheme employed in today's FPS'. Visorman takes it right back; even to using a shoulder button to make your headshots.

Almost obviously, if you have read all of the above, you would probably guess that a massive amount of effort is being placed on the splitscreen multiplayer aspect of Visorman; as we all remember those days with James Bond and Ourumov in Goldeneye 64's multiplayer (At least my friends always raced to be Ourumov...) After taking notes on many nights playing Goldeneye 64 with some friends, Visormans multiplayer is heavily inspired by that kind of gameplay; multiple levels, scenarios (game modes), handicaps, character select, and weapon sets.

Visorman is in somewhat early development; however I am constantly posting updates to my Twitter account. Please; every follower helps! I would massively appreciate any followers if you are interested. Moral support is always great!

*Screenshots coming soon! (Although there are a few on my Twitter account already!)

Thanks for reading everyone!
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »

Looks so old. Since I'm not that old, I can say that I wouldn't buy this. Anyone else think the nostalgia factor/irony is worth it?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Dragonmaw
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:32:52 PM »

so basically it's Duty Calls, but not as good.
WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 02:57:28 AM »

Looks sort of neat but I wouldn't buy it. Make it free.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:32 AM »

Well, it is on OUYA. It has to be somewhat free.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic