Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:27:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHelp a college student out!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help a college student out!  (Read 902 times)
greenbeans12
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »

Hey everyone,

I created an experimental game for my videogame design class, and any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You can play the game here: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/fbbfd8799ed984dc07b448cfa85a919b

Feel free to leave comments on this post or at newgrounds.

Thanks!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:07:13 PM »

Ugh, my eyes! Waaagh!

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »

Gah, those moving lines, slight waver on the blocks, synced oscillating circles. Painful. Not sure if I'd say it's nausea-inducing, headache-inducing, or just visually painful to experience, but it has some sort of negative effect. I guess the point of the game is an endurance test against the visual noise?

I interpreted the moving lines as obstacles to avoid at first, but quickly settled into a groove of not factoring them into my movement.

Gameplay felt like busy work you give the player while subjecting them to the visual effect? It didn't affect my cognitive ability to navigate through the maze, just made it visually painful to keep playing. This isn't necessarily a negative on its own, if the visual effect ramps up in an interesting fashion, follows an arc.

Something about the spiral level had a bigger effect on me than the other levels. Had a high level of symmetry, denser concentration of pulsing collectibles. Since it was linear, I wasn't so hyperfocused on navigation and so was able to let my gaze wander.

Played until I started seeing repeated levels. Felt like it made its point early on, but kept going at the same intensity.

Oh, and welcome to TIGSource! Feel free to introduce yourself!  Smiley

Ant
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:26:04 AM »

Yeah I thought those lines were obstacles at first which would of made it all infinity more exciting, but once I found out they are simple eye-candy it just became a bland collectathon with the added drab of backtracking. I only played to level 2 though so I don't know if there is anything more it, but there really needs to be obstacles and/or puzzles to make it feel at least an interesting experience. Sprites would also work wonders.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »

Uh, there's nothing "experimental" about this. Just a maze game with programmer art.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »

Experiment? What experiment? Are we the experiment? Are you the experiment? Experiment of a new spambot technology that generates a random game to fool people.

poe
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »

My suggestion is to drop the experimental part from the name, make the controls better (so that you don't stop moving when you touch a wall), remove those visual effect things, and make the player move faster.
MidBoss
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Epileptic My God. Played the first level, now my left eye hurts in a way I've never felt before. what is this?!

Ninjas can't catch you if your on fire.
-Dr.McNinja
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »

Experiment? What experiment? Are we the experiment? Are you the experiment? Experiment of a new spambot technology that generates a random game to fool people.

I can bet it's a mad scientist experiment in making a visual bomb that makes you blind !
aeveis
Level 0

some guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

I thought at first I had to dodge the moving lines. But I didn't. And then I thought maybe it was going with the music? But I think that just an association I made. You should try and make it clear what you're trying to do with the lines... It is also not that exciting/fun to walk throughout the whole maze. What was fun or interest you wanted to keep the player engaged?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic