Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 07:11:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSifteo EGP Finalist Squaresville
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sifteo EGP Finalist Squaresville  (Read 550 times)
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »

Hey guys, I was selected as one of the finalists for the Sifteo cubes competition over at EGP.  I would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to help beta test my game, I have until Friday to wrap it up.  I set up a mini beta test for people to check out and send me feedback before then...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42191645/SquaresvilleBeta.zip

You don't need actual cubes to participate, it works well enough in emulator which is included in the download.  Anyone who helps out will be listed in the credits as a tester, thanks!

There are 2 builds included.  If you execute Squaresville.bat it will start up the siftulator with a special build of Squaresville tweaked to work better in the emulator.  If you have actual Sifteo hardware you should install the Squaresville.elf and play it that way instead.

EMULATOR CONTROLS
- This section only applies to people playing in emulator which for this beta is probably most of you.
- The emulator controls are all mouse based.
- Hold left mouse to pick up a cube and move it or rotate it.
- Hold right mouse to tilt cubes.
- It is also sometimes useful to press left and right mouse at the same time to pick a cube up off the table.
- Middle mouse touches the cubes but it is not used for this game.

HOW TO PLAY
- Tilt left or right to walk in that direction.
- If you are running in the emulator tilt up to jump.  If you are using real Sifteo cubes touch the screen to jump.
- You can rotate cubes to connect them in different ways and open up new paths.
- Stand on top of the white glowing spots to save your progress.
- The "S" or speed powerup permanently increases your movement speed, allowing you to jump across long gaps.
- Note: You will get the "S" powerup within about the first minute of playing.
- Both water and spikes will kill the player.  Waterfalls are foreground objects so you can safely walk behind them.
- The "C" or climb powerup is much harder to get to, you will need to go through the waterfall area and solve some tough puzzles to get there.
- It will probably take at least 10 minutes to get to the climb powerup.
- If you manage to get to the climb powerup, it will allow you to grip walls and basically climb up them by jumping.
- After you get the climb powerup there is a final end screen that is marked on the map.  You will need to backtrack through some of the area you've been before.
- You can shake the cube if you get stuck to restart you at the last save point.
- This demo is mostly linear but some of the puzzles can get a bit tricky, don't lose hope!
- Every coin in the demo can be successfully picked up.

HOW TO USE THE MAP
- Unconnected cubes show a 1:8 scale map of the discovered areas and how many coins and other powerups you've collected.
- When you connect cubes it also reveals the new area on the map.  
- You can tilt the map to pan the view.
- The player shows up as a blinking blip on the map, and the current destination is marked with a blinking red square.
- You can set the map flat but it will also automatically recognize if it is on it's side for more of a mini computer monitor style setup.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:14:55 AM by FrankForce » Logged
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »

My Sifteo prototype is finished! It's a puzzle platformer and I think the gameplay mechanic is something that players will find interesting and new. It plays well enough in emulator but of course Sifteo cubes are preferred. I put way too much time into this game, developing the engine from scratch, all the art, and designed a fairly large level to explore. This is some of my best work and I hope players will enjoy it.

I wrote a blog post with more info and download link...

http://frankforce.com/?p=3320

There is a video of me playing through the demo in emulator here...

Here's a screenshot from the emulator...

The editor can save a pixel accurate map of the entire level which is actually huge but I cropped it to the demo area.  The engine supports a full map of about 10 times this size...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic