Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 12:16:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUlysses 2600 style game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ulysses 2600 style game  (Read 498 times)
StephanDedalus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »

Ulysses, Chapter 1: Telemachus

I've created a platform game in the style of the Atari 2600 for Windows, based on the first chapter of Joyce's Ulysses (Telemachus). This will be the first in a series of 18 games, each being an homage to both Joyce and the 2600, each one based on one chapter of Ulysses.

Instructions: use the arrow keys to move and the space bar to jump. Escape exits the game.

The general goals and mechanics of the game are to be discovered by the player (I promise that they're not as dense and impenetrable as the work upon which it's based). Obviously, it's not necessary to have read Ulysses in order to enjoy the game.

Download Windows executable: http://ulysses2600.com/games/Ulysses_1_Telemachus_v1_2.exe

Any feedback at all is appreciated! The game has been minimally tested, several bugs have been fixed, I'm sure there are several more.

If anybody who who plays the game happens to have read the book, then I'm doubly interested in your feedback - what was your impression? How do you think the game represents the themes of the book (or at least the first chapter thereof), etc.

Thank you much!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »

I gave up on the part where you have to get past the blinking crosses, it was needlessly frustrating due to the inaccurate controls and large hitbox of the player.

collisions were frustrating and getting off ladders was glitchy and poorly implemented.

also on the second screen, when you revisit it, it is not clear to the player that the screen has changed. I kept going back and forth because I didn't notice there was a path where a cross used to be. when the player enters to the room for the second time after doing whatever the fuck he does, you should show the cross fading away. or perhaps leave an outline of the cross to indicate it is no longer there.

had you spent a little bit more time making the control of the player more elegant, and perhaps giving an extra second on the blinking animation of the crosses, it would be worth playing.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »

it'd be more interesting if it was actually a 2600 game rather than "2600 style". coding for the 2600 is one of the hardest things to do, since it has like 128 bytes of ram and all kinds of weird restrictions, and only the crazy complexity of coding such games is worthy of joyce

StephanDedalus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »

Allen: Thanks for the feedback - making the controls more elegant, especially around the ladders, is do-able. I'll try adding an extra second to the blinking crosses as well.

Making it more obvious that a cross which previously blocked access has disappeared is not a bad idea - I'll play around with that and see if I can come up with an appropriately 2600-esque solution.

I hear you on the large player hitbox - that's a pretty standard woe for 2600 games (one of the many, many reasons why the 2600 gets so little love).

Anyway, thanks for giving it a spin.
StephanDedalus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:46:31 PM »

it'd be more interesting if it was actually a 2600 game rather than "2600 style". coding for the 2600 is one of the hardest things to do, since it has like 128 bytes of ram and all kinds of weird restrictions, and only the crazy complexity of coding such games is worthy of joyce

Oh, it's true - I (very) briefly considered actually coding them up in assembly and making cartridges, but the time suck simply wouldn't be worth it. I do have a particular fascination with the actual technology of the 2600, but that'll have to remain theoretical for now.

This project is more of a proof-of-concept sort of thing - can I make 18 games, with arbitrary restrictions, that manage to convey some of the themes of the book, and what would that look like.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic