Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 12:01:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting12 steps game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 12 steps game  (Read 1522 times)
shaman4d
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »

Here is my new attempt to develop in Unity3d. With PizzaNagazu I developed the small quest game. She was designed the 3d models and level. I was deep inside the scripts and sound controlling. The goal of the game is find out 12 shards and turn its off. Every of all sounds some melody and also shine. You can move by WASD+Space+Mouse.
http://playnoread.com/unity3d/twelve_steps/index.html

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »

uuh found 4 spheres, but then I got lost. There is nearly no lighting, so err... landscape is a bit monotone. And the world is way too big. Maybe some kind of road would help.
Ant the next sphere should be visible from the previous one. Try to tell a story ?

Otherwise, about gameplay, maybe spheres could modify your character, like jumping higher, so when you find 5 sphere you can jump to locations where you couldn't go before.

Anyway, good try Smiley

SmudgedCat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »

If I remember correctly I got to 7 spheres before trying to jump over some mountains and falling completely out of the edge of the play area.

I quite liked the fact the world was really big and you can have a bit of a wander.  I'd suggest changing the big structure in the middle of the map so there's something different at one end of it.  Just something so that when you look at it from the distance it helps you gauge where you are.  At the moment it's hard to tell exactly where you are on the map from looking at it since it looks pretty similar from all sides.

The movement seemed really fast at first but when I got a sense of the scale I kinda wanted to be able to go faster.  I'd suggest having 2 speeds, normal would be slower than the current speed and running would be fast than the current speed.

Not being able to invert the y-axis was pretty annoying!

Cheers,

Dave
pandit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »

It was nice, I liked the large map, strange sounds. I found the 12 orbs, I would have liked to be more rewarded, instead of simply having the world lit up.
I loved the big structures, some looked like greek temples, some others looked like modern architecture. The overall mood made me think of Chirico's paintings (look it up, could be a nice source of inspiration!).
But obviously the game lacks in gameplay mechanics, too simple.
shaman4d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:34 AM »

The overall mood made me think of Chirico's paintings (look it up, could be a nice source of inspiration!).
Many thanks for Chirico!
GordonCSA
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:48:16 PM »

I found them all, agree that something interesting at the end would be nice.
From a less artistic side, the feel kinda reminds me of Lugaru.

Circle Stone Aviator
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »

Neat concept, but I had a hard time playing in Chrome on a 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M (1GB), Windows 7 Laptop.  Window wasn't large enough first time around, and when I alt-tab to fix, the game became non-responsive.  Re-sized browser and tried again, but frame-rate started poor and was unplayable by the time I collected the third orb.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 07:07:44 PM »

THE SPHERES REMAINS

That's the name of my new Indie band.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »

Neat, but ran quite sluggish on my laptop.

Things that were weird:
-The jump is really really high (jump over trees, etc.)
-The spheres left to turn off display is showing the reverse number (shows found spheres)
-only "Game over" at the end?
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 04:17:09 AM »

I found 7 spheres before giving up,

I think this idea of the sounds and hidden objects is pretty cool, but I think it could be done better if the objects made some sounds that could be heard globally, and instead of simply turning off, when you touch it, the object could start playing a different global sound.

Doing this you could essential have two 12 layer songs, and you're objective is to switch from one to the other
(maybe a sad sounding tune to a happy sounding tune)

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:17:59 AM »

I liked the atmosphere and enjoyed exploring the level. I also though the use of sound worked out well and created some nice ambiance.

I actually had to rely on the sound coming from the last sphere, since I wasn't at an angle from which I could see it.

It does need more to be more of a game. Maybe more levels of different terrain, subterranean levels, or levels with massive structures to explore.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
mihai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:50:17 AM »

Interesting idea. I felt compelled to explore and find out more about the world, that is nice. I think there is a bit too much inertia when moving, I have the feeling that I'm sliding over the landscape after I depress the movement keys (unless this is intentional).

Neat concept, but I had a hard time playing in Chrome on a 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M (1GB), Windows 7 Laptop.  Window wasn't large enough first time around, and when I alt-tab to fix, the game became non-responsive.  Re-sized browser and tried again, but frame-rate started poor and was unplayable by the time I collected the third orb.

Unity has generally very poor performance on professional video cards. My game, which is even simpler than this one, had the same performance running on an ATI professional card as it has on an Intel chip (the ones embedded into CPUs). Those drivers really are not optimized for gaming.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic