Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 02:19:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBulletPoint Demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BulletPoint Demo  (Read 714 times)
Shibbyman3
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:29:42 AM »

Hey Everybody, I'm starting out as a new game developer, I am using construct 2 as my game engine, inkscape and gimp for graphics, and FLstudio for music and SFX.

I would like to share a game I have been working on, it is called Bulletpoint. You will be playing the first level and in the first level you have to survive for 6 minutes and kill the boss. You, your skills, and your guns will all level up. You can also purchase health, and a flamethrower.

I'm looking for general feedback, thank you for your ime and enjoy! Smiley

http://www.scirra.com/arcade/addicting-shooter-games/1029/bulletpoint-demo

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »

Hi,

I hope you're open to constructive criticism. If not, feel free to skip over this message.

The first thing that stood out to me, naturally, was the art. It looks...unpolished, to say the least. The background doesn't tile properly and all elements of the game seem to be drawn in different, clashing art styles. There are also white outlines around most things in the game, even on the title screen. I'd strongly recommend smoothing the edges as much as possible and cleaning up that white stuff. A "small" change like this will improve the look of the game immensely.

I also recommend tying the direction of the character to the mouse, instead of the keyboard movement. If the cursor is on the left, the character faces left, and if it's on the right, the character faces right. That way, his arm won't ever be twisting behind his back.

Of course, graphics aren't everything. Gameplay-wise, I found it boring and repetitive. It really annoyed me that I didn't seem to have any way to be strategic. I would get hit by bullets and there was no way around that. If you made the level more complex (maybe with some walls?), it might be a bit better. Maybe a form of shield should be available from the start, just very limited.

One huge issue I noticed is that a couple of things require me to right-click, but that just opens my browser's context menu. That means I can't equip skills or use them.

Animation was pretty bad, but I liked the music and the sound effects were decent.

A few more things:

-Enemies often shot me from off-screen
-Enemies often fell through the sides of platforms
-Enemies sometimes pop into existence while in sight
-Even with bullets flying everywhere, I didn't really lose much health so there was no challenge
-Six minutes of the same thing over and over is far too much, in my opinion

Don't take this too hard. Much of what I've written is just opinion, obviously, and most of the actual problems should be easy to fix.

You showed determination getting the game to this point and that's more than a lot of people can manage. Keep it up.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
pandit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »

Hey there,

I agree with what Quicksand-S said above, BUT I don't want to judge an indie game from an "absolute" standpoint. Many people do it here on the forum, and that's annoying. For example, I don't know your age and your experience with programming and arts, so how can I judge? Am I supposed to compare it to a triple-A game?

If you tell me you're 10 years old I'll probably think that you're a very talented guy how should pursue making games. If you tell me you're 30, I might suggest you try something else for a living.

Shibbyman3
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »

Hey! Thanks for playing and I really appreciate the feedback. That's a shame that right clicking brought that menu up for you guys. I had only tested in chrome, and it didn't appear to be an issue. I'll work on it some more.

haha I'm 24 but It's more of a hobby, so hopefully there's a nice balance there.  Smiley
janitar1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »

Its a start lol. Graphics are meh, mechanics seemed to be a bit buggy. When I played enemies kept spawning and spawning and was a bit overwhelming at times (playing on a laptop though). Jumping seemed to not work most of the time as well.

Id just work on polishing up the graphics and mechanics and then come back for more feedback Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic