Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:00:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeDealing With Citicism
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Dealing With Citicism  (Read 16194 times)
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »

I may be overthinking the whole issue, but usually when I hear criticism, I first think "ok, a good game developer listens to feedback and doesn't get annoyed", and instantly after that "but hey, I must make what I like and not let other people affect my work". And then I bounce between those thoughts until I come to some sort of conclusion, usually being either "that's a great idea, I'll add it" or "I don't want/I am not able to implement that". I usually also feel bad afterwards if I've said no to a suggestion, or when someone has made a suggestion that'd change some of the ground mechanics of the game. Getting feedback like "I think you should change the level design" or "You should change that UI" also demotivates me usually even though it shouldn't, because changing basic elements of a game is often boring and tiresome work. Especially if you're working on MMF 2. Durr...?

tl; dr: I'm too lazy to take proper feedback.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »

For me, criticism only hurts when I don't know right then how to fix whatever is being criticized.

Exactly this! I've always wondered why I'm not affected by most criticism but am very occasionally hurt by it, and it turns out that this is it! Thanks.  Smiley

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »

I was listening to a podcast on game design today. A guest was saying how game designers need to be thick skinned.
Basically he said: "You will suck no matter what, so get over it."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:32:50 PM by TwilightVulpine » Logged
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »

I got to learn how to deal with that once I actually start making something. I pretty sensitive.  Sad

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic