Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 01:38:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhen you make with the creative thought
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: When you make with the creative thought  (Read 6074 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »

Aside from actually doing it, what do you do to prime or help along your creativity?

I will start, so that you understand what this madman speaks of!

When I am designing games I sometimes talk to people, and I sometimes write small test files on the computer, but usually I draw on paper with pencil and as a result I have too much paper wasted on ideas I'll never finish. Frequently I make little diagrams of things that have little to do with anything but they're fun to make and very occasionally help me out.

Also, I always use regular pencils (none of them mechanical guys).

This topic might be a bit mundane, but maybe that's just because my methods are a bit mundane. Do you have anything crazier to share? Maybe you write one thousand words before drawing a picture, or you consider game design by shouting at homeless people?
If you've a mad tale to tell, or a sane one, speak your process of creative thinking. Gentleman

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:35:52 AM »

Most of my best/weirdest ideas come when I'm doing something mundane like knitting or working out.  The rest I just make up on the fly.

hi
bento_smile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:48:56 AM »

I take the train a lot. There's lots of time to think, if I want it.

I write pretty much everything down in a moleskine. They're nice... Expensive but it's worth it.

Quite boring, I know.  Cheesy

knitting or working out. 

That's an awesome combination!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »

when sitting on the toilet and when in the shower are where most of the ideas for my games come to me -- likely it has to do with not being occupied very much with an activity, and instead just doing nothing and thinking

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:51:45 AM »

I'm working on a music based game at the moment and for coming up with new concepts I find myself listening to music and imagining playing the game.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »

When I am walking outside on some errand or something, I always get great ideas and inspiration there.

Which of course vanishes as soon as I sit down at the computer. I can see why; there are few distractions outside, nearly unlimited distractions on the computer.
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 09:37:36 AM »

I tend to just forget about what I'm doing and do something else.

For example, we're writing our music for our next game and sometimes we can't come up with the right rhythm to continue the song.  So, I'll just play Battlefield Heroes or something and come back and something will have sparked in my head.

Also, I go for walks...

Cargo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

Often many ideas come right as I'm about to drift off to sleep. Then I have to decide if the idea is worth writing down, so I often try to keep a notebook near the bed.

Something I'm trying now is to just lie down with a sleep mask on when I have the time, and just try to let my mind wander.

Definitely, trying to think hard seems to get me nowhere. I've always likened it to forgetting someone's name, but having it on the tip of your tongue: trying harder usually just pushes you further away from getting it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:23:19 PM by Cargo » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:53:03 PM »

Shower, pace, long walk. Any time I keep the body busy and the mind restive. Right after I read a Gamasutra article about someone else biatching about design unwritten-rule 'X' is really productive and fits my defiant nature.

Then I wait 24 hrs or more, and if the thought was memorable enough to remember, it goes into my game designs textfile.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
felsparks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »

Many ideas come to me at very random times. I could be completing coursework, browsing a web site, or even just be walking and get a new game idea or mechanic. Sometimes, though, I do seek a bit of passive inspiration, such as reading random articles on Wikipedia or playing a game that has already been made. Only recently though have I realized that I should be writing these ideas down, especially since a really good idea can impede me from doing other work until the thought is driven out. The few examples like this so far have been my best ideas; the ones that leave my mind after a while are really not as great.

Hopefully, at some point I will expand on some of the better ideas and start making an actual game.
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »

toilet is really good... and in bed before sleeping...
but the thing is out of our control. (kind of annoying so many times I tried to force myself having an idea for a competition.... don't work like that..)

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »

Drugs + alcohol

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

toilet is really good... and in bed before sleeping...
but the thing is out of our control. (kind of annoying so many times I tried to force myself having an idea for a competition.... don't work like that..)

It is out of your control, but you can try and induce it, by filling yourself with information, looking at several different kind of media and art, relaxing and letting you mind wander, etc. Obviously not certain, but I feel doing that leads to better results than sitting down and just trying to think of something.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »

Here is what I do when I encounter a creative problem (vs. technical) problem:

First thing is to recognize it; i.e., realize that this particular section is boring, or this plot element is trouble, etc. I try and notice when I'm getting "stuck", either writing dialog or coming up with plot/gameplay devices.

Second thing is to take a step back. I get off the computer and go sit on the couch and just THINK.

It usually works!
Calabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »

Another way is to come up with questions.  Stupid questions, any questions.  Then follow a process, into answering them. 
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »

In rough order of how often inspirado strikes for me in each situation:

1) On the loo
2) First thing in the morning after waking up from a night of fevered dreaming
3) When drunk at a party
4) In the shower
5) Whilst walking and looking at amusing/interesting/beautiful things in the world

I have never tried combining these by waking up and immediately going to take a shower where I drink alcohol and pee, so I can't say how effective the combined technique might be

Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 02:26:45 PM »

In rough order of how often inspirado strikes for me in each situation:

1) On the loo
2) First thing in the morning after waking up from a night of fevered dreaming
3) When drunk at a party
4) In the shower
5) Whilst walking and looking at amusing/interesting/beautiful things in the world

I have never tried combining these by waking up and immediately going to take a shower where I drink alcohol and pee, so I can't say how effective the combined technique might be

It's incredibly effective.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 06:30:41 AM »

I definitely get my best ideas during long walks. There are some beautiful forests around here and it's a great feeling to walk there and possibly listen to some fitting music.

hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »

When I try to force creativity, I'll walk around the house looking thoughtful. Or stare at something outside until my mind starts to wander.

Usually I get the best ideas when I'm supposed to sleep.

I've tried the a bit cliche walking in the forest / beach but to me it's too distracting. When I get back, I'll realize I didn't have any useful ideas other than that was a really nice album and scenery.
Corpus
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »

I expose myself to the world by going out with friends, experiencing events and reading newspapers, magazines and the web. After I'm safely tucked back in to the warmth and comfort of my room, I Morrissey it and sit around looking fascinating while I process my experiences and find starting points for creative thought.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic