Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 02:02:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhy are ROMs bad?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Author Topic: Why are ROMs bad?  (Read 27828 times)
Nix
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

ROMs are morally wrong....unless you download them with piles of DRM from the Virtual Console shop

After all, you should support the developers!

....Unfortunately, those developers have long since moved on in the past 20 years and all the money goes to a monolithic conglomerate that bought out the company when it went belly up decades ago.

And these works wouldn't still be under copyright at all if it weren't for Goliaths like Disney lobbying to extend the copyright term again and again to keep Mickey Mouse out of the public domain where he belongs.

You know what? They're just bad, okay. Shut up and do what you're told. We have everything under control.

Undecided
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »

ROMs are morally wrong....unless you download them with piles of DRM from the Virtual Console shop

After all, you should support the developers!

....Unfortunately, those developers have long since moved on in the past 20 years and all the money goes to a monolithic conglomerate that bought out the company when it went belly up decades ago.

And these works wouldn't still be under copyright at all if it weren't for Goliaths like Disney lobbying to extend the copyright term again and again to keep Mickey Mouse out of the public domain where he belongs.

You know what? They're just bad, okay. Shut up and do what you're told. We have everything under control.
Most of the stuff you're saying is totally reasonable, I'm just wondering what's your reasoning for saying that Mickey Mouse "belongs" in the public domain? Since he is still in use and is still associated strongly with a specific company, it seems reasonable to me that he should remain under copyright.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2011, 12:48:42 AM »

But we both know that you don't do something for 30 fucking hours because it's boring, or because you have no idea whatsoever whether what you are experiencing is enjoyable or not, when at anytime you have the ability to turn it off. If you had played maybe half the game, I would believe you. This is childish and dishonest though.

I didn't say that I didn't know if what I was experiencing was enjoyable or not, that I knew very clearly. I kept playing because I hoped it would get better. Actually, it sort of did at the very end, but not enough to justify a 50 euro price point. 1 hour out of 30, more like 2 dollars. Which I could indeed pay for the experience - but I can't, no method is offered for me to do so.

That's a very good point. Take for instance Donkey Kong Country. I have the SNES ROM, but Rareware is long gone - original staff quit, the company acquired by Microsoft... To be fair I bought the game back when they were in business, but still. My little sister is playing these old games on emulators as she's growing up. Is it morally wrong of her to experience the history of video gaming without paying the current IP holders (Nintendo)?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2011, 12:51:47 AM »

I find funny about people mentioning accurate emulation. It is well now by actualy emulator developers that the VC "emulation" is actually just a very bare bones emulator with very specific hacks so the game plays okay for the most part.

PowRTocH
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »

I was 8 and a pawn shop owner charged me $15 for Megaman 1. I wanted it because the coverart was cool and he preyed on my desire and enthusiasm. I hope he gets robbed.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic