Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411587 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:21:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRENGA [COMPLETE]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: RENGA [COMPLETE]  (Read 7335 times)
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »

Why?
Oni Works was set up as the games company who would be making Oni World related games, the flag ship title of which is called Klank’s Story. While the plan is to still work on and release that game, with all the attention and love we can humanly give it, it doesn't deter from the fact that we like making games of varying style and finish, or that we have little ideas that aren't suited to the Oni World IP. As such, Oni Works will be releasing small and fun games along the way as we work on the bigger project of Klank’s Story. The idea isn’t to distract ourselves from that main goal, but to experiment, test ideas and styles, and so that we can better serve our flag ship game.

Although work begun on a small game a while ago called Oni Match (which is on hold but will be completed and released in time), we’ve discussed a few more game ideas we’re going to work on and produce for you guys.The first game we’re officially announcing is RENGA.

Gameplay
RENGA is a throwback to classical arcade games such as Breakout and Space Invaders. It is simple and intiutive to play. You have to shoot and destroy each block while avoiding being shot at. If you're shot 3 times or more, then it's game over. The idea is to get the highest score possible by surviving as long as possible, with increasing difficulty. RENGA will be available for iOS and Android free of charge, and possibly more platforms in the future.

History
RENGA started life some 12 or more years ago, when Lloyd was making gmaes with a tool called "The Games Factory". Among many other simple little games, Lloyd designed a game called "SpaceBlast" which is described as being the bastard child of Space Invaders and Breakout.

After digging through an old hard drive and finding the game, we played it and we both loved it. We saw potential, so we began reskinning and redesigning the game. We decided that everyone should be able to experience a bit of our childhood, so we decided to also release RENGA on as many platforms as possible, for free.

Screenshots

Features
  • Endless procedural gameplay
  • Influenced by Japanese icons and motifs, giving the game an abstract, other-wordly feel
  • 2D side scrolling puzzle adventure
  • Throwback to games such as Space Invaders and Break Out
  • Play on iOS and Android, possibly Windows, Mac, Linux and OUYA

GIFs

Social and stuff
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:46:38 AM by OniWorld » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »

TobiasW suggested in this thread that I should add a shake effect when the bricks fall down. Well, here it is:

Each brick has a different weight, and it triggers a shake effect when the falling animation is complete.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:46:02 PM »

Just recorded the first devlog and the announcement video, expect a few of these!

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

What makes this different from other block busting games?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:10:44 AM »

What makes this different from other block busting games?

There are a few mechanics that we feel aren't in other games, they've been outlined above and we'll flesh them out more as they're developed and show them to you guys. But remember, we're not developing this game to be ground (or should I say block) breaking. We're developing it because we want to. Not for money, not for fame, not for a top downloaded app.

We're re-developing a childhood project of Lloyd's, it's more sentimental than anything. This doesn't mean we're going to clone breakout completely, just that not all games have to be completely original to work.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »

Day 3 of development: Is that a phone?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »

Looks good!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »

Looks good!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks!  Beer!

Been working on some character animations in Spine...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:28:12 AM by OniWorld » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »

Got a little idle animation!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:37:52 PM by OniWorld » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 06:11:51 AM »

I think I broke it guys  WTF

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 07:20:54 AM »

I added gravity, it turned out pretty well

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »

your game is looking neat, just want to drop in this similarly named game here, before you get too attached to the title.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »

Something not quite right here...

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »

Got the basic gameplay mechanics down. Blocks fall down, you get shot at every few seconds, you can move and shoot blocks. Gonna make blocks shoot back at you when destroyed, add hitpoints to the bigger blocks then juice it up some more.

This game will be in the app stores before you even know it.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »

Score submitting/saving done, now to code score sharing...

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »

RENGA can get quite dark sometimes Wink

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »

woop

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »

RENGA on multiple devices, gotta love playtest sessions!

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 03:11:25 AM »

Been quite a busy week, haven't personally had time to update the devlog. Still got some nice progress done, most of which has been backend - such as social score sharing. Gonna record a devlog video later today or tomorrow when I get some more work. I've been refining the gameplay elements lately, and we've had some pretty awesome feedback from playtests.

It's great when you're at a job interview and you hand your potential employer a tablet with the game running, and they instantly become hooked  Coffee

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »

PLAYTEST RENGA HERE

It may be buggy, if so, post it and screenshot if you can. Some things won't work and that's fine.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic