Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411583 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 04:33:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUntitled Multiplayer Action-Adventure Story-Driven RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Multiplayer Action-Adventure Story-Driven RPG  (Read 710 times)
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »

I'm currently working on a game for Android. I plan on making it a multiplayer action-adventure story-driven RPG (I know that's a large undertaking, but it's something that I've always wanted to make). Gameplay will be similar to side-scrolling action games such as Castle Crashers, but it will have somewhat of an open-world (or at least "open-area") RPG aspect to it. My goal is to make a large-scale console/pc-quality game on mobile.

On the programming side, I've made considerable progress. Much of the functionality of the game is in place, and there are few major parts left to be written.

What is seriously worrying me right now, though, is the style of the game. Mostly the graphical style. For now I've just been using programmer art as a placeholder (because I'm not exactly a pro at graphic design).
However, I'm not going to lie: the programmer art has kind of grown on me (it might actually be good, or it may just be Stockholm syndrome). It's kind of retro, I guess.

Anyways, rather than trust my own judgement, I present to you some screenshots of the game as it is right now:

WARNING: 1080p screenshots!
http://i.imgur.com/Ud7WRyZ.png
http://i.imgur.com/M6fs1C5.png
http://i.imgur.com/T6iNtdX.png
http://i.imgur.com/Qqy7cMX.png

(I wanted to post some multiplayer screenshots as well, but that functionality is broken at the moment)

Let me hear your thoughts! Don't hold back and try to sugar-coat it for me; we're all game developers here and we know just how important feedback is! Each negative comment is an opportunity to improve Grin

Some questions I have:
What would you assume about the game from the screenshots alone? What would you change? What sucks? What works? Would you actually want to play something that looks like this? Do your eyes bleed just from looking at it? Would you say it looks "cheap" or "generic"? What words would you use to describe it? Does it seem like it would make a fun multiplayer experience? Does it seem like it would be a fun game? Does it seem unoriginal? Would you actually invest time on a "large scale" mobile game? Other thoughts?

P.S. If anyone is interested in alpha/beta testing this in the (possibly near) future, I have a little form on my website here  Wink

Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!  Kiss
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:01:43 PM by AlexRamallo » Logged

sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »

would like to see this in motion, esp if you will rarely not be moving while playing. it's hard to tell about a lot of things with just static screenshots. on the other hand, since this is a game, most people who encounter your game will be on the app store and decide whether or not to buy/download on a few screenshots (just realize that i don't know if the android/windows app store allows gifs or movies - i'm only familiar with ios, so that last sentence may be somewhat inaccurate).

What would you assume about the game from the screenshots alone?

mission based shooter built around a story structure

What would you change? What sucks?

the most obvious, immediate, and easily changeable thing would be to make sure everything is of the same pixel ratio. most of the game looks to be maybe 4x scaled but much of the ui and the firing effect is larger/smaller. if you continue with this art, that should definitely be standardized.

Another relatively simple fix would be to look more closely at your color choices. the easiest way to do this would be to just take something like dawnbringer's 32 color palette and apply it to your existing art. the more complicated choice would be to look into color theory and just play around with constructing your own palette.

there's a lot of static that could/should probably be completely cut. it's very distracting and does not add to the readability of the places where it is applied. if it is meant to suggest roughness or texture, there are better, less distracting ways to do that. at the least, it would probably look better with just a plain color or some tiles.

a bit more minor, but the extremity of the bend/curve in the character's legs is throwing me off. do you have a walk animation for him?

What works?

everything is quite readable, and i suspect it remains so in motion. i suspect it would hit some big nostalgia points for people who grew up with chunky pixel art games

Would you actually want to play something that looks like this? Do your eyes bleed just from looking at it?

if it had good looking gameplay, or an interesting story? sure. the art is, to me, inoffensive. i wouldn't play a game based only on this art, but neither would i be completely turned off.

Would you say it looks "cheap" or "generic"? What words would you use to describe it?

i'd say it looks like "chunky pixel art". i don't know if i'd specifically describe it as generic, but you have to keep in mind how many indie games have come out recently with simple, upscaled pixel art. there are lots of people who are burned out on it. there are lots of people who still love it. but you have to remember that if you ship it like this, you're probably gonna get a lot of comments to the tune of "art looks like [insert game here]" or "i'm tired of indie pixel art games"

Does it seem like it would make a fun multiplayer experience? Does it seem like it would be a fun game? Does it seem unoriginal?

these screenshots don't tell me enough about the gameplay for me to say either way

Would you actually invest time on a "large scale" mobile game?

sure
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »

Thanks for the response. You've given me much to think about.

The first impressions of my screenshots is precisely what worries me when publishing on Google Play, Amazon, and other Android app marketplaces. That's one of the reasons I want my game to look the best it can despite my affinity towards the idea that "gameplay" is what makes a game.

As for the overused pixelated/retro look, I totally agree. I'm one of those people who thinks indie developers are using the style a little bit too much. However, when I see games like 10000000 and Towerfall, it's hard to overlook the possibility that the graphical style had a huge influence in its success. It's a trade-off between what I like, and what the gamers want (also, what I can actually make Embarrassed)

The character's walk animation is pretty basic at the moment. I was experimenting with some higher resolution character sprites since it's pretty difficult to create an organic animation with such few pixels, but the higher resolution just doesn't fit with the current style.

Here's a gif of the current walking animation as well as some shooting:

I think the muzzle flash looks pretty cool when animated, even though it's only like 3 frames.

It seems like I'm most likely going to end up re-doing most if not all of the graphics. I should probably be happy that I've reached the point in progress where I actually have to switch out the placeholder art Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic