Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:18:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDefender (not final name) decided to simplify idea
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Defender (not final name) decided to simplify idea  (Read 624 times)
Requiem
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:02 AM »

So being completely new to game creation, I'm starting to feel I've taken on a big project. I started to lose motivation to continue to learn about what I was doing.
So I've decided to take a step back and simplify my thoughts, which are usually hectic.

Initially I was going to create a missile defense game of sorts.

Sorry for the terrible drawing! I'm still working on stuff like this.

I'm creating in Game Maker because I have zero programming experience and it seems like a simple place to start. But as I went and tried new mechanics I don't understand how to implement and art that is turning out nowhere near how I want it (even with my understanding of my limited skills) I realized I might be reaching for something just beyond my grasp at this point.

My simplified idea is going to be a static missile defense. Sorry if I'm using that term incorrectly by the way. I'm not really sure what else to compare it to.
It's going to have simple, bright art and fun music. Something I can FINISH. Which is my whole goal with simplifying. I just want to say I've finished a game I started and I will be able to finish the next one!

I am 100% open to any feedback for a newbie from a more experienced developer.

I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice right now. But it seems like it would make things more doable down the road. Especially if I don't give up on game development.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »

Looks like a good idea, but imo the game just screams Unity3D.

Requiem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:06:25 AM »

Looks like a good idea, but imo the game just screams Unity3D.

Is Unity difficult to learn? I'd be willing to try, its just I have little programming knowledge.
Also how do you see it being in 3D? Or is that just the name of the program?
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »

Unity recently revamped their 2D system to make it much more full featured and robust. Still have to learn Javascript or C# to some extent (although I know of a few entirely visual coding solutions on the Unity store I have not tried them myself). Clueless about where gamemaker has gone since the version 7 days when I used it but it is a great tool to get your foot in the door so if you like the drag and drop systems they have I would say keep at it with gamemaker.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »

First, your "finishing" approach is good. It's a good principle in general. But I think you "grew up" too quickly, you never were a "kid" and never gave yourself a chance to play with things just for fun Smiley

What worries me is your instrumental approach to coding. You don't seem to love coding for coding, you treat it only as a mean to finish a game. It's a suicide in a long run, you need to LOVE coding if you want to be a programmer (or you will lead very, very miserable life doing what you hate).

I say, forget about making a game for now and just play with coding useless things (algorithms, effects, utils, demos, whatever). Then if you find out you like it go for it, if not drop it.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Requiem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »

Unity recently revamped their 2D system to make it much more full featured and robust. Still have to learn Javascript or C# to some extent (although I know of a few entirely visual coding solutions on the Unity store I have not tried them myself). Clueless about where gamemaker has gone since the version 7 days when I used it but it is a great tool to get your foot in the door so if you like the drag and drop systems they have I would say keep at it with gamemaker.

The drag and drop style does help me put together a few programming ideas, but I mostly use the Game Maker programming language, rather than just the drag and drop options.
I'd be willing to give Unity a shot though.
Requiem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »

First, your "finishing" approach is good. It's a good principle in general. But I think you "grew up" too quickly, you never were a "kid" and never gave yourself a chance to play with things just for fun Smiley

What worries me is your instrumental approach to coding. You don't seem to love coding for coding, you treat it only as a mean to finish a game. It's a suicide in a long run, you need to LOVE coding if you want to be a programmer (or you will lead very, very miserable life doing what you hate).

I say, forget about making a game for now and just play with coding useless things (algorithms, effects, utils, demos, whatever). Then if you find out you like it go for it, if not drop it.

I think I see what you mean. I did kind of try to breeze past coding.
A while ago I took a little time to learn some Python and I did really enjoy doing the few things I could with that.
So I should probably go back and mess with that some more. I usually stumble a bit at the math, but have been willing to work through it cause I've enjoyed it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic