Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 10:07:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGnomoria [Sandbox Village Management]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Gnomoria [Sandbox Village Management]  (Read 18867 times)
RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 02:06:15 PM »

Update time!  I've been a bit focused recently and haven't thought to update in a while.  I had another funny situation happen today that I wanted to share.

In the spirit of the game, combat is mostly simulated.  You don't have control like an RTS or a tactical RPG.  There are a lot of factors working "behind the scenes" with some options for the player.  Once the actual fighting starts it mostly plays out on its own.

One thing that happens is characters will drop whatever they are holding if they get hit hard enough in the arm or hand.  Yesterday, I added in the ability to pick up objects during combat.  This is to recover from a dropped sword or whatever but also for the worker gnomes to try to defend themselves somewhat if they are attacked when unarmed.

I was balancing some combat values today and so was doing a lot of testing fights.  A goblin and gnome were fighting and the goblin ended up dropping both his shield and his sword.  He managed to punch the gnome in the throat, killing the gnome. Then before attacking the next gnome he picked up his shield and the gnome's corpse.  He then went on to beat the other gnome with the gnome corpse.  Evil

I think maybe one-handing a corpse might be too much but I don't see why you can't wield an arm or a leg.

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »

Since I still haven't posted screenshots, I feel like I should clarify a bit on my comment about comparing it to a voxel world.

The game is definitely rendered in 2D with isometric tiles.  There aren't any meshes or anything.  Although, the game simulation is 3D tile/grid based.  It is a discrete world, meaning game objects have a cell position and don't "live" in between cells.

In general the game simulation can be independent from the visualization.  It's pretty common now to see fighters or platformers with 2D gameplay but 3D visuals.  The Civilization series switched over to 3D rendering I think with Civ 4, but you wouldn't lose a whole lot if someone wrote a 2D renderer for Civ 5.  In a similar way there is Mode 7 for SNES which allows you to render perspective, giving a 3D look.  Games that use that could be on a 2D plane or in 3D, but my point is that simulation and visualization don't always have a hard link.

As a counter example, I worked on Toy Soldiers with 2 other programmers and the game would have to probably be rewritten from scratch to be rendered in 2D.  I mostly say that because gameplay is entirely animation driven.  It's to the point where there are "0 physics" in the game.  If you watch

I don't think anyone could guess there isn't a physics simulation.

Anyways! I hope to post some screenshots soon and I think it'll be less confusing at that point.  Some things are better understood in motion though, so I'll probably follow up with a video later.

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »

I updated the main post with screenshots!  The art is still a work in progress.  It's just some empty terrain to get an idea.  The HUD is also hidden.  It looks like there was some compression in the uploaded images but I think it should give a good idea still.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 04:39:11 PM »

looks niiiiiiiice! I haven't seen the zoomed out version before.

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »

Ctrl + Scroll Wheel.  It's in the controls menu Tongue

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »

It looks great. Can't wait to see some buildings in there. With a view like that, I suppose most of the village will be above ground?

(Although those sections where X and Y slopes meet could look more natural.)
RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »

It looks great. Can't wait to see some buildings in there. With a view like that, I suppose most of the village will be above ground?

Thanks!  It depends.  I tend to play mostly underground, but there is nothing stopping you from playing mostly above ground.  You'll need to go to the surface for your farms and trees but you'll find better ore the deeper you go.

For rendering, there is no distinction between above/below ground.  So you can dig a big pit and see it from the surface or carve out large multistory underground rooms.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »

any pics of underground??

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »

Here are a couple big caverns for you james:

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »

Oh hey! That's fun. It's got kind of a lego feel to it. I do like the geometry of your terrains though, this could double as a slip-n-slide game, haha.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 07:46:38 AM »

these look awesome!! the different colored tiles represent different ores I'm guessing?

TheD3X
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »

I really like this.
Is it offensive if i'd compare it to a SimCity2000/DwarfFortress/MineCraft-Crossover?

However, I'll keep that on my watch!

Sirius Online has currently:
RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »

this could double as a slip-n-slide game, haha.

Maybe it secretly is a slip-n-slide game...

these look awesome!! the different colored tiles represent different ores I'm guessing?

There are different types of ore but in these pics the colored tiles are different stone types.  Just different color options to build with.  Building stone walls, doors, stairs, etc use the color of the stone they were crafted from.

I really like this.
Is it offensive if i'd compare it to a SimCity2000/DwarfFortress/MineCraft-Crossover?

Thanks!  I'm not offended at all :D  There are a lot of similarities, so those are some natural comparisons.

TheD3X
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »

Thanks!  I'm not offended at all :D  There are a lot of similarities, so those are some natural comparisons.

Do you have a Banner or something so I can add this to my signature and link to it from Sirius Online?

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »

I don't have a banner or anything Sad

TheD3X
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »

Give me some minutes Wink I'll create a Userbar for you!

DONE:

for you
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:36:33 PM by TheD3X » Logged

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

Ooooooh, thanks!

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »

How does it look on me?

TheD3X
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »

Very nice! But I probably only say that because I made it Tongue

RoboB0b
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 04:33:25 PM »

I've just been working away on bug fixes and cleaning up some things in the UI, so nothing too exciting to talk about on that end.  I just wanted to say that I finally decided to get a website up this last weekend, which you can check out here.

I just started it, so there isn't really anything on there that isn't already here, but there it is if you're curious  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic