Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:38:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XIX - Hot!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XIX - Hot!  (Read 5763 times)
tao-tao
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »

Let's say 23:59 PST. Smiley

Enough time for you?

Cheers,
Moritz

I'd really appreciate a day or two more! I could probably finish my track by the deadline but due to problems with my internet connection I have to go to the uni to upload it.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 03:53:03 AM »

Awesome. Thanks for the many entries, people! Smiley

Will be tough choosing three candidates for voting - is everyone cool with that new process, by the way?
I'll still provide feedback on every track entered.

Since a couple of you asked for an extended deadline, let's push it to January 23rd, 23:59 PST.

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
mscottweber
Level 1

Composer/Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »

I'll have to back out of this one  Sad  I was hoping to write something yesterday and today but I had another, more pressing, project come up.  I haven't listened to any of the submissions yet, but I'm excited to!

medieval
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »

Will be tough choosing three candidates for voting - is everyone cool with that new process, by the way?

My bad for not being up to date, but I hadn't heard about this yet. I do think it's a good idea though.. when a winner gets difficult to choose it is often personal bias that gets the final pick. Now it would be more like .. popular bias? Either way, go for it
somnia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 11:48:17 AM »

My bad for not being up to date, but I hadn't heard about this yet. I do think it's a good idea though.. when a winner gets difficult to choose it is often personal bias that gets the final pick. Now it would be more like .. popular bias? Either way, go for it

I kinda agree. It was a simple process with the organizer picking the winner. Even if there was personal bias I think it was justified as long as the organizer did a good job and gave solid feedback on all entrants.

Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »

I'd rather do it this way: the host still gives all the feedback, and chooses the 3 best, of which others would choose the winner from. Maybe about 1-3 days of voting time.

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2013, 05:24:03 AM »

I'd rather do it this way: the host still gives all the feedback, and chooses the 3 best, of which others would choose the winner from.
Undecided

Exactly what I planned, look at the OP. Wink

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2013, 05:59:05 AM »

oops
Yup, I sure can read  Shrug

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2013, 06:54:51 AM »

Good thing the deadline got extended; I just realized it's not the 19th anymore. I hope to get my part done today. I had to face several technical issues because I just installed a new system. So I got a little distracted from actually composing the music and was fixing all those bugs instead. Anyway, great submissions so far!

Yo, I just finished it. However, I think my microphone (the only one I have) got damaged somehow during my relocation. I don't know, must've fallen down or something - it was a huge pain to edit the voice samples so they wouldn't just sound like random noise.  Grin
Oh, and ironically my heating stopped working properly the last days; my room is about as cold as a fridge right now. Actually, I keep my milk and beer in here at the moment to safe some space in my fridge. Works excellent.
Anyway, here's my entry. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! (I had lots of fun jamming with my disco-samba-jazzband self)

https://soundcloud.com/lauchsuppe/tigsource-challenge-xix-hot
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:03:59 AM by Lauchsuppe » Logged
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

Here's my entry, One Hell of a Desert
This is cool.  May not be the most evocative interpretation of the theme, but I think it's great nonetheless!

I didn't have the time to enter in this challenge, but I'll try to contribute next time around.  Love the idea Smiley

Good work everyone!

E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:26 PM »

Maybe instead of using the voting system to pick the winner, use the voting to pick the official runner up, whose song would be used in the theoretical "2013 Challenge Compilation." 

Either way, I don't think it would hurt to try out some sort of voting method... but if it turns out to be too complicated, or not really work out as intended, it can be dropped all together. 

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »

My submission at last:
https://soundcloud.com/simplykept/hot
I just kept adding things to the piece all the time and lost track of where I was going; I was basically just enjoying myself. Hope you'll like it as much as I did. I really can't listen to this in an objective ear anymore after messing with it for so long. Usually I do these challenges as sort of speed jams. This time I went a bit over with the time I invested in it. If I had a lot of time on my hands I would've probably made it into a 20 minute prog-rock composition  Evil , but now I'm tired, and need to wake up in two hours, so this will have to do  Tired

Keep it simple.
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »

Here's my entry, One Hell of a Desert
This is cool.  May not be the most evocative interpretation of the theme, but I think it's great nonetheless!

I didn't have the time to enter in this challenge, but I'll try to contribute next time around.  Love the idea Smiley

Good work everyone!
Thanks superchop, I guess it's more of a luke warm than hot. Embarrassed. Started out as a God of War-eqsue thing, then devovled into a desert/action-esque thing. Tongue

Soundcloud's compression is really doing a number on it though.
hidingspot
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 07:20:10 AM »

Thanks superchop, I guess it's more of a luke warm than hot. Embarrassed. Started out as a God of War-eqsue thing, then devovled into a desert/action-esque thing. Tongue

Soundcloud's compression is really doing a number on it though.

Tell me about it.  It's always hard for me to listen to my own stuff on soundcloud, or any other service that only offers 128kb/s streaming.  Hopefully soundcloud and bandcamp will allow higher quality streaming in not-to-distant future.  It may not make a huge difference to the average user, but it definitely does if you have a decent headset/pair of speakers.

ifmcmaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 07:53:33 PM »

Ahh! Slipping in last second! Thanks for the extension, I wouldn't have been able to participate otherwise.

Here's my contribution...
Para Bailar con las Ascuas

To Dance with Embers
(correct me on my terrible Spanish if it needs it please!)

Pretty much wholeheartedly inspired by Uematsu's Vamo Alla Flamenco.. and some Pirates of the Caribbean. I had too much fun writing this piece, so it goes through a bit of changes to say the least, haha. Wish I could've cleaned it up, but oh well. It's definitely written for a sequence of events or FMV more than a level in its current iteration, haha. I hope you enjoy listening to it as much as I did writing it!

..and I really need to work on mixing and mastering gehh

i just wanna make music
tao-tao
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2013, 11:54:45 PM »

That was not yet the last second Wink Here's my entry: something slightly wintery but it's really nice and hot by the fire...

https://soundcloud.com/tuomashietala/fireside-story

Big thanks for extending the deadline!

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 04:30:35 AM »

Wow, so many entries...  Shocked

Thanks everyone!
Will be back with feedback soon.

Cheers,
Moritz