Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 08:09:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBaseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Baseless // Space Cowboys & Scarves  (Read 11391 times)
nox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »

I'd go with option 1 if the precision of the reading isn't important, it's more attractive.

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

Not sure you could convey this in the minimal art style, but it'd be cool if you could represent the health as the scarf becoming unraveled. It'd be sorta like your option 2 there, but instead of switching to a white-ish scarf, it's just a few red strings to represent the full length.

Again, probably won't work w/ the art style, but wanted to throw the idea out there. Loving the look of the game!

WHOA that maximum scarf on the first page is awe-inspiring. i must have that scarf.

oh, for some actual useful feedback, definitely option #1 for the health scarf meter

I'd go with option 1 if the precision of the reading isn't important, it's more attractive.

Hmmn! Thanks for the input, fellas. The unraveling idea is cool but I can't think of a clean way to do it. Cleanliness is pretty important for the art direction, so option #1 is the way to go!

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 01:34:23 AM »

Here's my combo win/win of those hp scarf options. Does this make sense?

nox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:19 AM »

Dude yes, that's sick--a compromise better than either option on its own. I wonder if it would look cool to make the character blink or shift shades in unison with the hits as well?

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2014, 07:37:52 AM »

Dude yes, that's sick--a compromise better than either option on its own. I wonder if it would look cool to make the character blink or shift shades in unison with the hits as well?

Glad you think so too! Phew...

I definitely plan on making the little guy's eye wince with pain as he gets hit. Maybe a subtle dark red flash as well? We'll see. Thanks for the input!

YM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »

That looks rad, instead of having the lost HP fade away, how about having it snap rapidly to the new length? (The red section changes instantly, the white sections reduces in length from previous to current hp as quickly as you have it fading now)
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2014, 07:52:30 PM »

That looks rad, instead of having the lost HP fade away, how about having it snap rapidly to the new length? (The red section changes instantly, the white sections reduces in length from previous to current hp as quickly as you have it fading now)

Interesting idea. I might toy with that, but for now I'm happy with where it's at now.
To gameplay!

dotsquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »

How about cutting the part of the scarf off and letting it fall freely?
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »

10/8/2014

Long time no update! Lots of work being done, but it's not necessarily pretty/shareable. See?

Trying to figure out what the gui/hud should look like, and, more importantly, the general gameplay objective/flow. Trying a bunch of ideas and seeing what sticks. Getting closer! I've felt stuck for quite a while now, but I AM GETTING CLOSER. Wish me luck, and gimme all the ideas, plz.

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2014, 11:08:41 PM »

Thanks to JLJac of Project Rain World, my gifs are looking way prettier now. Check out his beautiful work here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=25183.0

Currently working on some sweet powerups and special weapons. Here's the funnest one so far, inspired by the great Miley Cyrus:

Some behind-the-scenes stuff is happening too, and my game is starting to feel like a game. They grow up so fast! <3

nox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:50 AM »

Something about this game is magical...keep it up, those gifs are so hot.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2014, 05:23:49 AM »

Do you plan on moving the camera like that in the final game? where it will refocus based on planet? Cause my first thought was god this looks good but I will get proper motion sickness if the camera swings like that all the time.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »

Something about this game is magical...keep it up, those gifs are so hot.

thanks dude! will do.

Do you plan on moving the camera like that in the final game? where it will refocus based on planet? Cause my first thought was god this looks good but I will get proper motion sickness if the camera swings like that all the time.

So I think I'll have the camera spinning be a togglable option. I've had a few playtesters who said they needed to lay down afterwards, but most others were totally fine. It definitely affects the gameplay/aiming if the cam doesn't turn with the player's relative "up", but there are pros and cons to each I suppose. Thanks for the input and affirmation!

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »

Another quick update:

I've been playing around with a bunch of power up ideas, like the wrecking ball gif from earlier. Below is another possibility; a little robot ally turret guy.

These powerups would only last a short amount of time, but they can make a huge difference in how you play for that short amount of time. Furthermore, these are stackable, so you can for instance get the rapid fire powerup WITH the multishot powerup and be a powerhouse for a brief time. Some pretty interesting combos happen.

I'm pretty happy with how things are coming along lately. Wish me luck with the rest!

SP.SubsonicGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »

Im really loving this project. Keep it up!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2014, 07:33:17 AM »

Another quick update:

I've been playing around with a bunch of power up ideas, like the wrecking ball gif from earlier. Below is another possibility; a little robot ally turret guy.

These powerups would only last a short amount of time, but they can make a huge difference in how you play for that short amount of time. Furthermore, these are stackable, so you can for instance get the rapid fire powerup WITH the multishot powerup and be a powerhouse for a brief time. Some pretty interesting combos happen.

I'm pretty happy with how things are coming along lately. Wish me luck with the rest!
Sounds very Risk of Rain, I like it

Maybe it's just me, but I think the drone seems a bit too big. Looks bigger than your own character

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »

will do!

Another quick update:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the drone seems a bit too big. Looks bigger than your own character

That Risk of Rain game looks fantastic. It's an honor to be compared!

I think you're right about the size. Easy fix! Though, I don't want the drone guy to be too hard to see/find. We'll see.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »

will do!

Another quick update:

That Risk of Rain game looks fantastic. It's an honor to be compared!

I think you're right about the size. Easy fix! Though, I don't want the drone guy to be too hard to see/find. We'll see.
Yeah, that game has stackable powerups, so that's the first thing that came to mind

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2014, 09:04:52 PM »

Yeah, that game has stackable powerups, so that's the first thing that came to mind

Just watched some gameplay and I totally see some similarities. A bit too hectic for my taste, but cool game none-the-less! And inspiring!

Oh, I meant to mention, I'm thinking about getting this on Greenlight shortly. Good idea? I feel like with David I put it up far too late in the process and didn't really have a lot of momentum. Also David might seem like more of a iOS to PC/Mac port (though I think it plays great and still makes sense for desktop play). I know Baseless definitely needs a teaser/trailer video before Greenlight, but I think sooner than later is probably a good idea. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:16:06 PM by Fermenter » Logged

Fermenter
Level 0

Holla

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »

It's been a whole week without sharing any pretty gifs? How rude of me... I've gotta make a few more, but here's one to hold you over until then. I'm working on some more enemy type variations. This guy sucks.

Also, I'm wondering if I should think about Kickstarter and/or Greenlight. Hmmn...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic