Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411738 Posts in 69405 Topics- by 58458 Members - Latest Member: oiledsurvivor

May 23, 2024, 01:01:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallIndieSafe.com - An Indie Community for both Gamers and Developers
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: IndieSafe.com - An Indie Community for both Gamers and Developers  (Read 4365 times)
Viper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »

IndieSafe! A website devoted entirely towards games developed by you, and other small time developers. The team at Indiesafe sets out to establish the newest name in online communities, providing in-depth, weekly articles, varying in topic from game development to interviews with talented indie developers. The site itself, provides an active forum, free blog space for any person interested, and a easy to use recruitment page for anyone looking or forming a team.

This site isn’t just for indie developers either, if your just a gamer and would like to sit back in a active and up to date community, providing the latest news in gaming, this site is perfect for you as well! We at Indiesafe have set out to put the developers and the players together, in a comfortable and welcoming place.

Join us in the next revolution in Indie gaming!
Hey everyone, just wanted to kick start the advertising of my new site IndieSafe. We're now recruiting writers, so if you’re interested, fill out the Hiring page on the site, or send me an email at [email protected]
Writers should be willing to write and submit weekly articles of around 750-1500 words.

The specific topic for each article can be discussed one of one.

The site is not yet done, but I want to get its name out there a bit. If your interested, subscribe to the site by submitting your email. Once the site is complete a single mass email will be sent out alerting those who registered that the site is complete.

Visit us here, http://www.indiesafe.com

Viper (Zach)

PS: Comments and Crits would be great. Despite the site still being down, if you have any questions or suggestion’s let me know.  Gentleman
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:38:36 PM by Viper » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »

Rates?

Also, your sig is way, way too big. Expect Melly to bug you about it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:39:04 PM by Dragonmaw » Logged
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »

i in a safe
learn to english, too

beef (viper)

p.s. sydney, london && leesburg, virginia

Viper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 04:27:15 PM »

Rates?

Rates? As in a fee to access the site? If that is what you mean, the site is free to all users. A membership plan may be made for special features or an ad free site, but at this point, any member has full access to the site.

As for the sig, im editing it now.

@beef. I didnt really get that. I cant tell if your insulting me or heck i have no idea.  Lips Sealed

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »

Rates?

Rates?

I'm guessing he's asking about the pay rates for the writers you are hiring.

Viper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »

Rates?

Rates?

I'm guessing he's asking about the pay rates for the writers you are hiring.

At this point, i cannot pay writters for their work. However if the site becomes profitable (likely via, minimaly used ads) then i have no issue with doing so what so ever. (We are Indie after all  Corny Laugh )

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

Why would you make a post about how amazing your community is going to be?
You should wait, we're not on edge for your next project, we hardly know you (by the way, that signature, size it down it's huge) just wait till you have something to show, and show it.

Also, not paying people but saying your "hiring" is not really fair, you're just asking for people to write for you.

bonus question: How many are you working on this?

edit question: So, how long will your site be down?

extra edit: i 'n die safe, clearly.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Viper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »

Why would you make a post about how amazing your community is going to be?
You should wait, we're not on edge for your next project, we hardly know you (by the way, that signature, size it down it's huge) just wait till you have something to show, and show it.

Why? Because there's no harm done in a little bit of pre-release advertisement. As a game developer you should understand this very well. As for being on edge, and hardly knowing me, that would be my fault, as i'm much more of lurker here, then an active poster (Although, I am rather active on a number of other communities). None the less, I don't see why you need to know me to have an interest in my site.

Also, i'm not very big on the concept of opening up a site that does not have any content to show. Due to this, I am indeed showing off my idea, in hopes to finding people interested enough to write and assist. If the site opens with a bit of hype and some content, it has a much better chance then if it had opened without either.

Also, not paying people but saying your "hiring" is not really fair, you're just asking for people to write for you.

I'm asking for columnists who would be interested in writing a weekly article about a topic that they enjoy and are knowledgeable about. I dont see an issue there. The word hiring may be out of place, but i am in fact looking for people to join the IndieSafe Staff.

bonus question: How many are you working on this?

The staff has six members at this point.

edit question: So, how long will your site be down?

Hopefully not to much longer, most of the code and site structure is done. Now we just need to clean up some of the bugs, and get some content.

Hope that helped.

Zach  Gentleman

mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 01:44:07 AM »

Finally someone who can take critique, I applaud you.

I think that if you want people to be exited about your projects you should really have previous work or the community should know and like you.

Good luck with the site.

Viper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 05:02:59 AM »

Hah,

Thank You.

Although i am not the biggest poster on here, i spend plenty of time on forums to know how to handle such situations.

As for some of my previous work.... definitely the biggest project that i am part of is here: Z-Day The Game

TheDustin
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:54:04 AM »

I'm just wondering, but what niche are you going to fill? What is your site going to provide that the other indie game sites don't? At any rate best of luck with this.
Viper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »

I'm just wondering, but what niche are you going to fill? What is your site going to provide that the other indie game sites don't? At any rate best of luck with this.

I can understand that. However i feel that most indie communities (this is in no way specifically meant to talk about Tig, just an observation ive made) fail to target both the developer the player. Most of the communities ive come across usually are geared toward's game development, and even fewer specifically for the games. I would like IndieSafe to be a community that connects the players with the devs.

mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

I find that TIG is really directed towards players in the front end (the frontpage) and developers/interested players, in  the back end (forums)...we fill that niche thank you.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »

Why would an aspiring indie game article writer want to help start up your blog as opposed to just starting his own?

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »

Without pay, I personally can't really get behind a weekly committal. This will probably be true for most of the professional writers around here, although one can never be sure. It's easy to say "we'll pay you once we get ad revenue!" but that's a very, very thin promise, and ad revenue rarely pulls in the kind of money you need to pay writers unless you are getting millions of unique visitors a month.

As for amateur writers, there's probably better avenues for their writing. Personal blogs will get their thoughts across better than a weekly column, especially because they won't have editors breathing down their necks. If they want some bigger recognition, some blogs (like TIGsource) accept well-written guest articles. Right now, the two main "indie niches" to me are filled: TIGS for features and commentary, IndieGames for news and discovery.

I hope your site takes off, but it's too similar to existing sites in my humble opinion. A smart businessman takes or builds a niche. He only competes with market leaders if he has something distinctive to offer to the market which (from your description) you don't. You need to find another way to make IndieSafe appealing rather than saying it's a "community to connect developers and players." That's pretty generic, and there's already plenty of communities like that. This one, for example.
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »

Without pay, I personally can't really get behind a weekly committal. This will probably be true for most of the professional writers around here, although one can never be sure.

True but As a contractor you're never really sure if or when you're actually going to get paid anyway. The money is never guaranteed until it's in your bank.

But Viper. Pitch your niche. What will make this site totally different from others like this one? I only joined this one after years of following indie, then a couple of years working indie and some peer pressure to be more active in the community.

I'm not saying I'll never join another site I'm just saying that you need to pitch what makes your site special. Just like everyone who posts a game needs to pitch what makes their game special and fun.

Pitch it GO GO GO!

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 02:50:59 PM »

Doesn't have to fill a niche.. just has to have good content really. Good sites co-exist all the time. Maybe it's more about creating your own identity and not seeming like a TIGS / Indie Games / Play This Thing clone in the way things are written.

I see sites try and justify their existence all the time in their 'about' pages by explaining why they are different and it just seems pointless to me.

Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 03:26:51 PM »

I think there are some areas that could do with more coverage

Mods
Mobile games - iPod/iPhone , Android, and possibly the upcoming Windows Mobile 7 platform
XBLIG

But then again maybe I'm just not aware of any sites that cover these areas.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »

Without pay, I personally can't really get behind a weekly committal. This will probably be true for most of the professional writers around here, although one can never be sure.

True but As a contractor you're never really sure if or when you're actually going to get paid anyway. The money is never guaranteed until it's in your bank.

Not true. I know I will get paid because it's laid out in very clear language in my contract. If they don't pay me for my work, the contract says nothing about me being unable to take them to court for money owed.
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »

Not true. I know I will get paid because it's laid out in very clear language in my contract. If they don't pay me for my work, the contract says nothing about me being unable to take them to court for money owed.

If you get paid on time every time you are a very lucky man. If you talk to most contractors they will tell you that they have to put a lot of effort into chasing up payments. You usually get it eventually but you can often be waiting for your money a long time after it says in the contract and a long time after the supposed standard legal term of 30 days. Some companies are good payers it's true but most like to sit on the money as long as possible.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic