Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:47:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall2 FREE RogueLike Dungeon Crawls!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2 FREE RogueLike Dungeon Crawls!  (Read 1005 times)
Enker
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »

Two free games created using the same engine - one as a tie-in to Cascade Studios' radio drama 'Golden Age' and the other part of the recent 7DRL2012 competition. Both are RogueLike dungeon crawls featuring original coding by WombatRPGs.com and graphics, story and scenario by Cascade (mainly me). I'm posting them together because they both share an engine and the same gameboy-era graphical feel in a deliberate homage to the styles of the system if not its colour palette. Everything is 100% original in these games and both were created in just 7 day periods for 7DRL2012 over the past two years, so they may seem a little rough around the edges but the fun factor is still there.

1. GOLDEN AGE: ENDLESS DUNGEON

Beneath the town of Kainford lies a maze of traps and Furies known as the Catacombs. Somewhere deep inside, an ancient relic has become active, poisoning the earth and water of the town above. Your grandfather agrees to guide a troop of CORE soldiers into the Catacombs in an attempt to destroy the relic, but they haven't been heard from in a week, and people are still dying above ground. There is only one choice: seek out the relic and destory it!

Features:
- Randomly generated dungeons: a new game every time.
- Over 50 items, 20 enemies, and of course, infinite levels.
- A high score board with daily high scores and a Facebook connection to play against friends.
 - High difficulty and a need for tactics.
- Great Gameboy Colour retro-era feel.

LINK http://rpgmaker.net/games/3043/

2. STEEL KNIGHTS

You wake from the peaceful slumber of cryo and stumble out onto the cold metal floor of the Staging Point. Outside the reinforced windows the darkness of deep space can be seen highlighted against the deep red colour of a barren world. Your S.K. suit insulates you against the chill as the ships systems begin to come to life around you, bringing up the lights and activating the myriad of consoles and computer screens around you.

The pair of you have a simple brief, split across three locations. Discover what has happened onboard the Thunderchild. Locate the whereabouts of the crew and deal with whatever the source of the issue could be. This is what you do, and you’re well trained for it. All that remains is to pick where the best place is to begin your mission . . .

The Game

Steel Knights is a RogueLike dungeon crawler. This means that once you die, you are dead, and there is no saving or coming back. However! This also means that every time you play, the game is a different experience. Levels are randomly generated, enemies are randomly generated, and treasure is random and abundant. Explore three seperate worlds, fight four bosses and almost thirty enemies, and try to unravel the mystery of the Thunderchild.

Mechanically, this game has an emphasis on projectiles and healing items. Make sure you heal regularly and use your guns. Ammo is easy to come by and you start with all basic firearms.

This game was made in 7 days for the 7DRL2012 competition by Enker of Cascade Studios on graphics, concept, writing, psy_wombats on programming and design. Some code reused from Golden Age: Endless Dungeon.

Features

- 100% original graphics and sprites.
- 60+ monsters to encounter.
- 3 unique randomly generated dungeons to explore.
- 30+ items to discover.
- Customizable player character.
- Cool retro Gameboy Colour era theme.

LINK http://rpgmaker.net/games/3885/

Both games are fun little plays but designed to be tough in the vein of the RogueLike. Steel Knights is the more ambitious second game, utilizing a hub world and three seperate dungeons to explore rather than the one massive one of Golden Age: Endless Dungeon. I hope that you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed making them Smiley
alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:05:03 AM »

wow, these are pretty awesome!  I did find a fairly major bug with steel knights though - pressing i twice gives a NullPointerException.
Enker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:33:24 AM »

I'm passing that right across to our coder to update and fix! Thanks so much for finding it Smiley I'm glad you've enjoyed them so far.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic