Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 02:49:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534501 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: April 21, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »

i'm playing a pyro build and using a darkwraith sword with fire buff most of the time. i'm not really feeling a drop in damage to be honest. the enemies in the garden that are really giving me trouble are the giant black lizard creatures(?) and not so much the knights.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6461 on: April 21, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »

My build might be less than optimal or I'm just bad Tongue Though I don't use buffs usually. Have to experiment a bit and try to return to katana to see if it will provide better dps.

JWK5
« Reply #6462 on: April 21, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »

It seems like damage types (piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, etc.) play a much more significant role this time around. In previous Souls games it never seemed to matter much, a hammer worked just as effectively as a sword so long as their damage was similar.

I've been farming titanite and leveling up a bunch of weapons (because I like to try them all out and find one that's interesting and effective) and I've found that the damage output can vary greatly depending on the enemy and the damage type of the weapon I am using.

Have you tried switching up your gear a bit? I like to keep a collection of different damage types with me at all times so I can switch when I need to.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: April 21, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »

btw i think the dancer is probably the coolest looking boss in the entire game. her second phase moves in particular are really well animated and she just looks stylish af, not something you can say about souls bosses often.

It seems like damage types (piercing, slashing, bludgeoning, etc.) play a much more significant role this time around. In previous Souls games it never seemed to matter much, a hammer worked just as effectively as a sword so long as their damage was similar.

actually, they matter quite a bit in all souls games. not to the point where things become unbeatable with the wrong damage type and trivial with the right one ofc, but they can make certain levels and bosses harder or easier for you. there are also better and worse damage types in each game because enemies aren't balanced in their resistances. for example blunt ("strike") weapons are really OP in dark souls 2 because there are so many armored enemies. you can play through the entire game easily with just a humble mace. in bborne and dks3, fire damage seems to be really good.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:02:06 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6464 on: April 21, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »

Yeah, I have been playing mostly with Claymore and katana. Maybe I'll try to figure out alternative weapons even though I can't afford to use chunks atm. I should have options since I have decent str and dex stats.

I didn't bother with dmg types in DkS but in DeS it seemed a quite big deal with some enemies really weak against piercing etc.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6465 on: April 21, 2016, 01:59:52 PM »

Yeah, I have been playing mostly with Claymore and katana. Maybe I'll try to figure out alternative weapons even though I can't afford to use chunks atm. I should have options since I have decent str and dex stats.

I didn't bother with dmg types in DkS but in DeS it seemed a quite big deal with some enemies really weak against piercing etc.

Do you use raw weapons? I read somewhere that raw was better than scale until the curve hit B or better. I've been using a +2 Raw Estoc, just added Fire to it. Able to 1 hit and 2 hit kill things that were taking 2 or 3 before.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6466 on: April 21, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »

Haven't really infused anything other than fire estoc and used regular upgrades. Would probably make sense to create a refined weapon since I have str/dex build. Could check out the raw.

btw, I got biggest club I have (great club) and upgraded it to +6. With it and knight slayer ring I could break the shields of Lothric knights with two hits. There might be a difference in actual damage compared to my claymore even though the dmg-type should be blunt  Huh? I could try to parry those bastards but they hit like truck so that is a bit too risky.

I found castle bonfire though after killing knights. Took far too much estus since my stamina management was bad with the club Tongue

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: April 21, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »

Blunt weapons are good against armored enemies. This is actually realistic btw
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6468 on: April 21, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »

I really want to make a big armor dude with a hugeweapon but i think that might not be viable in this game. like, the vitality you'd need to even roll properly would be ridiculous, and the armor wouldnt even necessarily save you from death it seems (haven't tested it myself, but I've heard mixed things about armor).
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: April 21, 2016, 05:32:09 PM »

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6470 on: April 21, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »

I love Dunkey. I love the description of the video claiming it was his brother playing the whole time.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: April 22, 2016, 01:21:07 AM »

I really want to make a big armor dude with a hugeweapon but i think that might not be viable in this game. like, the vitality you'd need to even roll properly would be ridiculous, and the armor wouldnt even necessarily save you from death it seems (haven't tested it myself, but I've heard mixed things about armor).

I think it should be possible with havel's ring. I mean in this game you can roll well as long as you stay under 70% load (rather than the 50 from previous games) and personally I've had no problem wearing a full knight set with the starting knight class on my PS4 copy of the game.
JWK5
« Reply #6472 on: April 22, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »

Most of what you can roll away from you can also just circle-strafe away from, especially where bosses are concerned. If you go heavy just keep your shield up, time your strafing, and remember that kicking (forward + R1 on PS4) is your friend.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: April 22, 2016, 04:35:20 AM »

Can you actually do the kick consistently? Because I can't.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6474 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:52 AM »

Blunt weapons

420 blaze it

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6475 on: April 22, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »

I can't either. That and jump attacks seem more finicky in this game. Of course, jump attacks you can now do just by running and R2.

420 blaze it

420PRAISEIT

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6476 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »

I think it should be possible with havel's ring. I mean in this game you can roll well as long as you stay under 70% load (rather than the 50 from previous games) and personally I've had no problem wearing a full knight set with the starting knight class on my PS4 copy of the game.

im doing a heavy build with heavy everything and kicking tons of ass JUST AN FYI

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: April 22, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »

someday im gonna get two bonewheel shields and set them on fire, and name the character HOT WHEELS
JWK5
« Reply #6478 on: April 22, 2016, 01:28:31 PM »

It is a pain in the ass to time at first, but basically you have to tap forward plus right weak attack together quickly at the same time (being locked on helps). The beauty of the kick is the animation time is brief, you can use it to cancel a lot of enemy attacks (especially when dealing with mages, which will be a tanks' bane, you can rush in and quickly interrupt their casting even more effectively than with a light attack in a lot of cases).

Kicking also has the added benefit of pushing the enemy back, so you can use it to escape an encircling group or to force an enemy into a position that is advantageous for you. In areas with cliffs you can end battles quickly and even areas that just have short ledges can be utilized with a kick to give you breathing room and time to regroup.

In PvP you can use it to upset assholes who have long reach weapons by running in and kicking them off-balance.

The kick is a pretty valuable tool, I highly recommend practicing it.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6479 on: April 22, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

im doing a heavy build with heavy everything and kicking tons of ass JUST AN FYI

this is good to hear! what's your vit at?

on my second playthrough, doing a int/dex build wearing leonhard's like from the network test. this gam continues to rule.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic