Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 01:28:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsFun With Explosions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fun With Explosions  (Read 16207 times)
JWK5
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »

This was in response to this post here, but I figured it be better suited to the tutorials forum.

Not the prettiest example but it should give you a general idea of what you are seeing when you look at an explosion. Generally there is a rupture (or ruptures) caused by building pressure where, for example, burning gasses escape very rapidly which violently widen the space they are escaping through creating an even bigger rupture that even more burning gasses can escape through and this pretty much continues until it rips the object apart ejecting all the pressure at once (an explosion).

If you look at the image here you can get a pretty good idea of where the source of the explosions are occurring just by following the trails their rupturing is leaving. All that smoke you see is flames exhausting, dust being forced up into the air from the ground, etc. Here is a quick breakdown of the explosion's flow:

When you've got an object colliding against another or two objects colliding into each other it is going to be like so (essentially a thrown tomato):

There is a lot more to it than just that, but that should be enough to get you going in the right direction. In any case, I hope that helps.

EDIT:
Here is a quick example of how you can go about coloring them. Like anything else explosions are unique, you should choose colors and H/S/V ranges that suit your game.
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

JWK, take me hard and ravish my body as no man has done before.

Also, nice tutorial.
Kramlack
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »

JWK, take me hard and ravish my body as no man has done before.

Sign me up for one of these too. It's gonna be a long night, JWK5.
JWK5
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 01:59:59 PM »

This is going to be a lesson in explosions you'll never forget...

ericsocialadr
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

wow hehe awesome tutorial, coloring explosions, thanksss Smiley))

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 01:30:33 PM »

The aftermath of the tutorial was as good as the tutorial itself! Smiley Beer!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
ChevyRay
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

Hah, great tutorial. That image at the end is worth it in itself Smiley
namragog
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 05:42:48 AM »

Nice  Beer!
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:57:56 AM »

This is one sexy tutorial, as witnessed by the general reactions of the public. Thanks for this one as well, JWK5 Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »

Wow that's looks very nice Smiley andy why you think steam store won't accept the game Smiley it looks fun and neat and contain bunch of stuffs Smiley

b.rad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »

cool tut im gonna use this for pit 0

Pit 0 free steampunk quarry escape shooter
Flipmeister
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 11:31:03 PM »

Thanks so much for this tutorial! Really helped a lot when making explosions for my current project.

ajf
Level 0

JavaScript + HTML5 FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »

Awesome tutorial, thank you!

Now I actually understand explosions a lot better. Heck, maybe with my programmer art skills I might manage to make something resembling an explosion :D
Erinock
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »

This is really nice, well done  Hand Thumbs Up Left Waaagh!
mwheelhouse
Level 0

I like Juice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »

This is my attempt at a 10 minute animation. I only optimized it once (no fixes), so I noticed that my smoke is getting sucked into the center, and doesn't last long enough. Science doesn't approve of this gif, but it was a fun exercise with colors. I really need to work on changing the hue with the shade, instead of just a flat ramp up.

Thanks for these little lessons you post everywhere around the forums. You sir, are kind.
 Beer!

Edit: Also, my stylus broke this last year, and I have been lazy. Just ordered a new one, so I am excited to see what I can create!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic