Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 06:01:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsBeginner's Guide on Using git and Github for Game Development
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Beginner's Guide on Using git and Github for Game Development  (Read 2405 times)
brettchalupa
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »

A year ago I started working with git and Github, and it completely changed the process I used for programming and collaborating with other developers. Six months ago I started working with a small team of four programmers, and no one had used version control before. In order for that project to progress, I needed to teach everyone version control. I initially wrote up a guide that explained the commands and walked through the process of coding a new feature.

I recently took that guide and expanded it a bit. It has good amount of commands, explanations, and few nuggets on how to use Github to help supplement your development.

Here is the guide. I think it's worth bookmarking if you're looking to get better with git. I reference it daily (really bad memory  Embarrassed).

I think it's really important to expose people to version control. Whether you work alone or with others, it'll help make you a better developer. If you end up wanting to program games for a larger company or with a sizeable team, version control is absolutely necessary. Dropbox is a good tool for backups, but it is not version control. Smiley

Let me know if you have any questions, or if there is anything I can do to help you get going with version control. I'd be happy to discuss why I choose to use git instead of SVN or Mercurial and why I use Github instead of Bitbucket.

If there is something more you want to learn about git, then let me know and I will expand the guide.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:36:51 AM by brettchalupa » Logged
Alberto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »

Great writeup, definitely recommend the guide for getting started with git and Github. I'm using it as well although using Tower (Mac client) which sort of abstracts a lot of the command line detail away with the graphical UI. Still nice to know how stuff works under the hood tho, just find this a more convenient setup for our team being relatively new to git.

brettchalupa
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »

Thanks! It's definitely not a bad thing to use a GUI for git, but there's something nice about being able to use the terminal and understand it. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic