Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 04:56:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsOpen GL Tutorial Recommendations (Not Nehe)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Open GL Tutorial Recommendations (Not Nehe)  (Read 3308 times)
Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »

I am making the move from C# and Xna to C++ and Open GL. My issue is however, the lack of good tutorials I can find regarding Open GL. I've been following Nehe's Open GL tutorials, and am up to tutorial 10. I have managed to use SFML for windowing. However, I can't help but feel like I am doing something wrong. What ever happened to Vertex Buffer's DirectX equivalent in Open GL? Is there such a thing, Nehe's tutorials feel *so* outdated. Are they? I am assuming as much from the fact that he is using stuff like GLUT.

Are there any tutorials that are better then his? Any recommendations would be awesome, thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:11:01 AM by darestium » Logged

Previously known as "darestium"...
zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:10:02 AM »

Do you want to learn new opengl (3/4) or old opengl (2)? Nehes tutorials mostly cover gl1 and then transition into gl2. If you've got the basics from nehe you may be ready to try gl3/4. Search for arc synthesis or swift less opengl tutorials, they're the best known modern opengl guides.

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:14:07 AM »

Oh, cool, thanks Smiley What would be the best out of the two tutorials? I'm tempted to go with swiftless - it seems to go into further depth than arc synthesis...

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:16:25 AM »

I used the arc synthesis tutorials myself. They seemed to take a more basic approach (explaining lighting in theory first before implementing it, for example). I may be biased a bit because the swiftless Site didn't render correctly in my browser though Wink

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »

ahah, well seems to be the same problem with me (browser)... But in depth explanations on lighting sounds good Smiley And as you recomend that I'll give it a shot! (is it just me or does the code for gl 1 and gl 3/4 look very similar to each other?... Oh, and the arc synthesis tutorials appear to have been made more recently, so that's another reason to go with it I guess)

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:29:39 AM »

Ehm. There was already such thread (made by me!). You can find lots of links there (including nehe  Cheesy), for both OpenGL core profile (3.x) and quite modern OpenGL (~2.1 [which doesn't differ THAT much - is a bit easier I think]).

Link to the thread:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24700.0

@EDIT

is it just me or does the code for gl 1 and gl 3/4 look very similar to each other?

They're all similar.  Cool
Though, the higher version of OpenGL, the harder it seems to be. Myself, I've settled down with 2.1 since it works on many older computers, aswell as on new ones Wink

JakobProgsch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 07:55:59 AM »

New OpenGL is imho even simpler than "old style". But it requires that you actually understand the basic math etc behind it. The big plus of pure 3+ OGL is that its a lot more transparent... Way less hidden states to screw up etc. You don't have to ask stuff like "is the view position transformed to view space?" since you wrote the friggin shader yourself... :D

Also i'd like to once more shamelessly plug this: https://github.com/progschj/OpenGL-Examples Wink

Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »

Okay, I'm up to chapter one on arc synthesis' tutorial. I'm finding it really interesting how he goes into how things are actually produced Smiley. I think I'll stick with his. Also, I really don't want to use premake, I hope I can just compile everything straight from code::blocks...

Also, I can run Opengl 3/4 code on my laptop? It has a intel GPU, the book suggests otherwise.  Crazy And I think I'll use SFML for windowing... FreeGLUT... ew...

Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »

Mmm, I think I'll *have* to use FreeGLUT, it seems like these tutorials rely on it...

Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:26:17 PM »

Um... Okay, well when I setup the project with premake for codeblocks I get the following error in my output:

Code:

||=== Tut 01 Main, Debug ===|
..\glsdk\freeglut\include\GL\freeglut_std.h|60|warning: "NOMINMAX" redefined|
c:\program files (x86)\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\include\c++\mingw32\bits\os_defines.h|46|warning: this is the location of the previous definition|
ld.exe||cannot find -lframeworkD|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 2 warnings ===|

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:49:56 PM by darestium » Logged

Hedgehodg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:57:46 AM »

Ehm. There was already such thread (made by me!). You can find lots of links there (including nehe  Cheesy), for both OpenGL core profile (3.x) and quite modern OpenGL (~2.1 [which doesn't differ THAT much - is a bit easier I think]).

Link to the thread:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24700.0

@EDIT

is it just me or does the code for gl 1 and gl 3/4 look very similar to each other?

They're all similar.  Cool
Though, the higher version of OpenGL, the harder it seems to be. Myself, I've settled down with 2.1 since it works on many older computers, aswell as on new ones Wink
Which tutorial on Open GL 2.1 did you go for? Since, one of my main reasons for learning C++/Open GL is to be able to run my stuff on my laptop which has an Intel GPU Smiley But if I have to go for Open GL 3/4 and I am able to resolve my issue that would be just as good Smiley

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 05:04:43 AM »

Also, I can run Opengl 3/4 code on my laptop?

You could use a tool like GPU Caps Viewer to check which OpenGL version is supported by your system.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic