Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:54:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSteam Greenlight announced
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Steam Greenlight announced  (Read 58003 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504314

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »

thanks-thanks. back when i was having a pay what you want sale for ID a thread on something awful was really nice towards the game (i think like 30% of the sales came from that one thread alone)

Bambino2012
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »

Somehow I don't imagine people browsing around greelight to discover games, it gets really boring to browse around after a while.
What I imagine is developers directing fans to the greenlight page and gaming journalists "choosing" what games people should be voting on.
In the end, probably nothing will change, the games that should go on Steam, will continue to go on Steam, but this will create a problem that games that can be a jewel that don't have a fan base, will never get their feet in there Sad

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2012, 09:53:52 PM »

Somehow I don't imagine people browsing around greelight to discover games, it gets really boring to browse around after a while.
What I imagine is developers directing fans to the greenlight page and gaming journalists "choosing" what games people should be voting on.
In the end, probably nothing will change, the games that should go on Steam, will continue to go on Steam, but this will create a problem that games that can be a jewel that don't have a fan base, will never get their feet in there Sad

Maybe Steam will read some of the comments in some games' pages and use that for picking more niche or unpopular things that would still do well? Some are pretty thoughtful and very positive.

...or not...

play hydlide 2
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2012, 09:59:35 PM »

i find it unlikely that they'd be able to pay a guy a wage just to read comments random greenlight games. they are rich but not *that* rich

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »

I think you're not seeing the real potential. If you're working on a game, and keep a devlog, you can always link to your Greenlight page to encourage people who like what they see to upvote you. If you have a demo of some sort, chances are you can drive at least a few folks over there to vote for you.

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2012, 10:23:50 PM »

i find it unlikely that they'd be able to pay a guy a wage just to read comments random greenlight games. they are rich but not *that* rich

yeah Tongue i mean, whatever. I think greenlight is a step forward at least. will be fun to see how it goes.

play hydlide 2
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »

There goes nothing, Cardinal Quest 2 is on too:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92846471

Would have been nice to know what's considered doing well and what's not.

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »

They must have to some extent, since I certainly didn't bring 20K people to the Science Girls page myself!
randomnine
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »

I am curious if the huge difference in unique visitors between the two games I have listed is actually the result of some weird algorithm shuffling causing one to appear way more often than the other. Not entirely, I'm sure, but I don't know if there is any effect.

I'd hazard it's due to lots of people finding the "Science Girls" image interesting but the "Date Warp" image less so. Hardly anyone's going to look at every single game, so the branding image can make a huge difference to traffic - just like on FGL etc.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »

I like how Greenlight was supposed to be more transparent yet nobody has a clue how it works. At the moment all it's doing differently from the old system is driving extra traffic to Steam from games that aren't actually on Steam. It's a genius move by Valve, free Steam marketing from games that aren't even on the service.

randomnine
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »

You say that, but I've had 10,000 people look at my game overnight. They may not have left Steam, but even if the game doesn't clear Greenlight the exposure's good (and the feedback's helpful, too).

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2012, 11:39:03 PM »

My comment had nothing to do with the games getting exposure. I'm referring to the lack of transparency in the system of getting accepted. I'm sure extra exposure is a real positive for devs, but the new system was supposed to address the complaints about the lack of transparency. I'm sure it will become clearer in the future but all it's doing at the moment is taking some of the workload off Valve, and bringing them more press column inches. I'm not complaining, as it's all really new, I just found it amusing.

randomnine
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »

haha, that's true.

I'm sure things will get a bit clearer when the leaders emerge. Currently it looks like Project Zomboid and Slender: Source are way out in front.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »

haha, that's true.

I'm sure things will get a bit clearer when the leaders emerge. Currently it looks like Project Zomboid and Slender: Source are way out in front.

Yeah, in terms of overall popularity. Zomboid has a gigantic following and I think Slender is related to the steam community in some way. I'm interested to see how Valve handles the rest of the games.

play hydlide 2
bolosaur
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2012, 12:58:52 AM »

Jumping into this thread a bit late, but I found Greenlight a bit discouraging. Partly because of the contradictory communication where on one hand developers are encouraged to submit concepts and on the other the service itself is advertised without any notion of being indie, and partly because users are forced to downvote games they're not interested in just to get it off their mainpage view, which means that they may not actually dislike them.

I think Greenlight would do much better without downvoting as it's both demotivating for developers as well as being misleading, considering that one person's downvote may be based on mere disinterest in the genre itself, yet effectively negates the upvote of someone who would really like to see the game on Steam.

Here's to hoping they'll fix it. Coffee

We're making a game called Buck & Miles. Please take a look and see if you'd like it. :-)

[
Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:15 AM »

Didn't know downvoting had that effect. The only things I've downvoted (and reported) are illegal entries / trolling like Battlefield 3, Half Life 3, etc. Been reporting way too many things, too many idiots on the internet.

I don't want to crush anyone's dreams, as such I upvote what I like, and ignore the rest of "normal" entries.

bolosaur
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »

It seems that the only metric by which games are ranked is the up- vs. downvoting ratio.

Our game - for instance - appears to be fluctuating between 50-60% upvotes:

To me downvoting is too much of an uncertain factor, and in addition seems to be the equivalent of negating a sale from Company A just because you are buying from Company B. Like I said in my previous post, it appears that gamers subscribing to one genre are forced to take votes away from gamers subscribing to another. Sad

EDIT:

Okay so I guess this explains a lot.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:02:11 AM by bolosaur » Logged

We're making a game called Buck & Miles. Please take a look and see if you'd like it. :-)

[
randomnine
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:52 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure downvoting doesn't actually count against a game's approval - though if I was Valve I'd have set it up so that games which are heavily downvoted disappear off the front page.

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »

And the fake / troll / illegal postings just keep coming.

If it keeps up like this, Valve should do like Origin does to some exploiters and cheaters - you get your account banned, thus losing your games as well. That would get most people to stop the idiocy.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic