Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:46:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Detail - A crime noir adventure in a modern American city
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Detail - A crime noir adventure in a modern American city  (Read 6151 times)
Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »

The Detail

A crime noir adventure in a modern American city.

We are combining the emotional impact of Telltale Games' The Walking Dead crossed with the themes of a realistic crime drama like HBO's The Wire, delivered with our own unique visual style inspired heavily by graphic novels. This is city where cases matter, clearance rates matter, and on a good day even justice matters.

The gameplay focuses on storytelling through point n’ click gameplay mixed with interactive comics, and completed by a gripping audio track.

Features

• Multiple branching storylines driven by the player’s choices
  • Interrogate or be interrogated
  • Multiple playable characters
  • Run homicide investigations or run from homicide investigations
  • Balance between politics, justice and the law

Links

The first episode in the planned series can already be played from start to finish, but is still in need of some iteration, spit and polish. I'll chart our team's progress here as we work to get it into release condition.

Update

You can now get a feel for how The Detail will play first hand through our new
Interactive Trailer.

Update 2

And we have been greenlit! Thank you everyone who voted Smiley
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:46:38 AM by Timo Naskali » Logged

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »

Here's a gif showing the progression of one of The Detail's ealier scenes, illustrating just how far the game has come since it's first steps...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:02:48 AM by Timo Naskali » Logged

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »

Very nice! I'm getting an L.A Noire/ Indigo Prophecy vibe. Can't wait to see it in action.

I'm very interested to find out how well the writing is for this type of game.

nhkni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »

This is very professional looking. Really nice art style.
netravelr
Level 0

@jodoran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:39 PM »

Looking pretty sweet! I loved The Walking Dead, so the more games like that coming out the better. Wink Any chance we can see some gifs of how the game looks in motion?

Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++, Unity, Unreal, Flash and Python
Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments Smiley

Last week we gave the old main menu a makeover.

We also added a lot of new animated comic frames to the game. Here's one example:

Also made some fish move around. Hey, it's important stuff!

(you can open the image in a new tab if you want to get a better look at the script)

And, as always, we squashed dozens of bugs and did lots of little tweaks here and there.

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:39:59 PM »

Looking pretty sweet! I loved The Walking Dead, so the more games like that coming out the better. Wink Any chance we can see some gifs of how the game looks in motion?

Great to hear that there are others out there besides us who love these sorts of games! You can catch a few glimpses of our game in motion from

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:17:52 AM »

This looks really amazing!

Will the player be able to make his own deductions, as to whodunnit?
I loved the part in LA Noir where you had to pick who to throw in jail, except the times where you knew it was none of the available suspects.

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:08:53 AM »

Love the main menu! And it looks like you're good at keeping your Unity scenes nice and organized Wink

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:52 AM »

This looks really amazing!

Will the player be able to make his own deductions, as to whodunnit?
I loved the part in LA Noir where you had to pick who to throw in jail, except the times where you knew it was none of the available suspects.

Glad to hear you like what we've shown so far!

As to your question, short answer - without going into spoiler territory here - you will be asked to make some deductions related to whodunnit. Noir

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 03:30:28 AM »

This week we learned that creating an interactive trailer is pretty friggin' hard work!

(the timeline above shows maybe one fifth of the total jump point complexity Hand Point Right Shocked )

So, without further ado, you can now get a feel for how The Detail will play first hand here!

We also added rolling end credits, improved more comic frames with new graphics and animations and fixed some minor bugs (like the whole screen turning black during every dialog bug).

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 05:39:28 AM »

That was neat. I especially liked the black and white storyline.
I wish i could vote more than once on greenlight.  Well, hello there!

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »

That was neat. I especially liked the black and white storyline.
I wish i could vote more than once on greenlight.  Well, hello there!

Thanks, that's great to hear! Grin

The black and white section in the trailer is one of the earlier scenes we did, and I think we've since gotten better at animating our comic frames. In later scenes we do more animation of individual joints, mixed with some stop-motion style animations.
So if you enjoyed what the trailer had, you'll more than likely enjoy the rest of the game too  Wink

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:27:42 AM »

This week we started smashing bugs mercilessly, shrinking our bug list's number of entries from 80 to 40. We will get it to zero one day! One day... Tears of Joy

We also honed our user-interface quite a bit, since that aspect of our game has been a source of some criticism.

The walk-cursor can now also be seen through foreground objects, but at 50% opacity. Now I think it both gives a cool illusion of depth, while still actually being easy-to-use with precision when you're moving behind pillars and such.

We created a unique look for our tap-and-hold hotspots that we use during a few minigames, which we thought was important so you can intuitively distinguish them whenever you see them.
Also the minigame interface now flashes red when you make a succesful move and red when you're doing it wrong, providing clear and immediate feedback to the player. The goal is that the minigame won't need a separate tutorial, but it's so intuitive to play that you'll learn it through a process of trial and error in seconds.

Since our game will be quite dialog-heavy, we also added an auto-forward feature for our conversations to help prevent unnecessary strain on your left mouse buttons. The time we display a line in this mode is based on the length of the text shown on screen, but the user can also change the multiplier for this (currently with the mouse scroll wheel) so it fits their personal reading speed.

The tutorials in the beginning portions of the game also got an overhaul.
We tried to make the tutorial non-obtrusive, so it doesn't stop gameplay at any point, and also make them very dynamic, so the instructions will disappear as soon as the game thinks the player doesn't need them any more.
And we made them be context-specific, so they don't only give the players the information that they need, but also when they need it, and we spread it out along multiple scenes to give a pleasant learning curve, avoiding heavy information dumps.

One of my inspirations when designing the tutorial was Fallout: New Vegas, which I thought was very smart in popping up the short tutorials prompts gradually only when you need them.
E.g. in it you might have played the game for several hours already when you first kill someone belonging to a faction, and then the game pops up information about faction alignments. And you pay attention to that information because it's relevant to you right now.

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 05:38:08 AM »

In the last episode of The Detail detail...

Tweaks to user interface on both PC and tables. Made icons and texts even smaller on pc where you'll usually have a larger screen size and the accuracy of the mouse, and larger on the table where you're tapping an swiping a seven or ten inch screen with your chubby fingers.
We actually had to redo the mobile action menu system from scratch using Unity sprites since our DF-GUI version just wouldn't register taps correctly any longer after an update to Unity.

(Current PC UI. Mouseover pops open hotspot indicator, name of target and a vertical list of action icons. Mouse scroll-wheel selects action, left mouse button activates it. On PC this system felt smoother than clicking once to open a menu and again to make a choice.)

(Mobile UI. Tapping a target pops open the hotspot indicator, name of target and a radial menu of action icons. Tapping an icon activates that action, tapping anywhere else closes the menu. Ignore the cursor - it's just there for testing purposes)

Dialog choices can now be selected with arrow keys and mousewheel and activated with return, space and left mouse button.

Got resolution based font resizing to work again. It's been broken a long time after (you guessed it!) an update to Unity.

(An examine frame that got a face lift)

(Frank "Double-chin" Ray starring in the most ridiculous bug of the week)

There are now confirmation prompts where it makes sense, like when exiting the game or renaming a profile.

And do I even need to say it?
We killed bugs. Many, many bugs.

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 06:17:59 AM »

Some changes since the last post:

• Created first prototype of a character information database.
  • Hotspot inspection state logic now fully implemented for about 70% of game's scenes (we have a system where our hotspot indicators become greyed out once the item in question has been examined thoroughly).
  • Two new comic frame sequences have been added to make transitions between some scenes easier to follow.
  • Added a visual indicator for when the game auto-saves. We went with a "bookmark" that slides into view for a few seconds at the upper corner of the screen.
  • Added a Rival Games splash screen
  • Lots of little tweaks to dialogs, improving reactivity, fixing logical inconsistencies and adding more subtle guiding where appropriate - among other things.
  • On UNITY_METRO platform touch UI is now used only if device has touch capabilities
  • Added some more things to examine / NPC chatter to a couple of scenes that felt too desolate
  • The game now actually gets paused when the pause menu is opened
  • Redid the WalkMesh in a couple of scenes where it wasn't perfect
  • Improved our articy:draft to Unity dialog importing pipeline, fixing an issue that could cause infinite loops in rare situations
  • Gave new examine frames to four characters
  • Fixed bug with characters in some cases doing talk animations with lines containing no text
  • Added cancel button to options screen
  • Options menu items now get restored correctly on game start
  • Fixed bug where OnLevelLoad was being called twice after every transition
  • Gave the reporter Nadia Roberts some new animations

(The new save indicator. Might make the final version less obtrusive, but I think the bookmark aesthetic fits our comic book theme well)

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 12:44:32 AM »

And we have been greenlit! Thank you everyone who voted Smiley

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 04:36:51 AM »

Changed since last update:

• Steamworks.NET integration
  • Added steam achievements for central choices
  • Added support for steam cloud saves
  • Added (just about full) gamepad support
  • Navigation keys can now be used to navigate menus
  • Added many new settings screen options for customizing game experience
  • Visited London Smiley
  • Created prototype of the last missing scene of our game
  • Prevented cursor from leaving monitor boundaries when in fullscreen mode and there are multiple monitors (Windows only unfortunately)
  • Expanded the beginning sequence to our game with new comic frames
  • Character Board entries added for all characters, plus logic for unlocking them implemented for all
  • Performance improvements

Timo Naskali
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 04:15:50 AM »

We made it! The Detail - Episode 1 – Where the Dead Lie will be launching on Steam later today.

Thank you to everyone who has been with us or supported us on the way there! I hope you will enjoy the game. Beer!

And stay tuned for more episodes...

Playaction
Level 0

Junkyard Robots

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:53 AM »

Congratulations! Can't wait to check it out  Cool

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic