Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 06:00:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallYou Have No Legs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: You Have No Legs  (Read 1296 times)
Nagnazul
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2010, 05:58:33 AM »

You Have No Legs is a 2D platformer made in Flash in one month for the SA Gamedev Challenge. The game's title comes from the fact that you'll be controlling a legless amputee. This means you cannot walk, run, jump or do most of the things you would want to do in a platformer. Instead, you'll be crawling and climbing your way around. This is done by moving the character's arms with the mouse, clicking and dragging to move. 

The game draws inspiration from Super Metroid: The game revolves around exploring the world, collecting powerups and finding secrets. The game world is non-linear and has a number of hidden rooms that house optional powerups. There's also a couple secret, secret rooms for the really dedicated.

Play it here: You Have No Legs
Jayisgames review

PS: This game has been out for a while now, but I recently received news that it was featured in a game magazine, so I figured I'd announce it here too.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »

The mechanic is interesting, but a bit of a pain to deal with. And by pain, I mean real physical pain in addition to the inconvenience. My hands were cramping up trying to play this thing. While on one hand, this might be cool because you are feeling the inconvenience of the handicapped character you play as, on the other, it makes the game not very fun to play. It was super frustrating.

I kind of feel like this mechanic would work much better with short puzzle like levels to blaze through. Making it a metroid-vania is pretty brutal, because even just moving around to explore is so difficult. My resolve sank when I came to the first fork in the path, as I realized I was not going to have the patience to back-track or explore every inch of the game when the movement itself was so tedious and unpredictable.

This kind of movement worked with Envirobear because the game was so fast paced and manic. Even if you couldn't steer very well, once place was just as likely as good as another, and cool things were everywhere. Crashing into trees was part of the fun. But tumbling from a rock face you are trying to climb for the sixth time does not have the same appeal.

KingSlizzard
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »

I agree with astrospoon. I found myself staying in the world due to interest rather than having fun. But that is definitely not a bad thing. A few breaks from the click and drag around mechanic would be nice. But the art is really good. Its a pretty good flash game and deserved my time. Nice job!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic