Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 06:45:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFat Wizard
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fat Wizard  (Read 4179 times)
ChevyRay
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »

A new game by Matt Thorson and myself!

Play it now in your browser: http://games.adultswim.com/fat-wizard-puzzle-online-game.html

Fat Wizard has landed himself a very rare (and delicious!) giant dragon egg! But he's not the only one who wants a piece of this eggcellent breakfast, so he must use his fat magical skills to protect the egg for as long as possible!

Complete with over 2 dozen enemy types, boss monsters, and a huge armory of hilarious magical artifacts to be unlocked.

Enjoy! Smiley

Credits:

Matt Thorson - Gameplay programmer, level design, & music.
Chevy Ray Johnston - Engine programmer, graphics, & animation
Evan Balster - Voice of Fat Wizard

For people with Macs: use Command-click for warping, not Control-click.

EDIT: Audio clip of me talking about the game (VERY enthusiastically): http://chevyray.com/art/Chevy_on_FatWizard_Death.mp3
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:30:44 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »

Also for those with Macs, Command-Click seems to work just fine without causing the popup (yay!)

Going to play this more after work.
Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »

He is fat, and also a wizard. A+++++++++ would play again.

ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:48:17 PM »

Also for those with Macs, Command-Click seems to work just fine without causing the popup (yay!)

Going to play this more after work.

Okay cool, that's what I thought. Does the in-game text specify this, though? If not, I should probably fix it so it clarifies this!
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »

The in-game text says: 'To move the wizard, hold CTRL and click your destination!'

Not sure exactly how you'd phrase it, but yeah, letting Mac users know Command/CMD/Apple key works would be ideal.
ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:48:41 PM »

Already mentioned this at the bottom of my post. I'm pretty sure I made it say "Command" in the pause screen, but we forgot to update the text in the tutorial.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:36:49 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
rekcah
Level 1

PulseBoy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »

Yo, I'm in love with this game haha. I'm like super excited when I get a new equipment in a treasure chest haha...... Good stuff man.. good stuff.

ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

Hah, glad you like it! On the menu screen, if you check out the Bestiary or Artifacts pages, you can see everything you've discovered so far with crazy stories/descriptions for all of them.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »

Just saw a commercial for the game on Adult Swim, congrats!
ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »

Aw wish I could see it.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 12:11:22 AM »

Oh man I need to see that!

leonelc29
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:07:06 AM »

my egg! nice game  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right now playing it
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »

Played it some last night, loving it!  Hand Any Key Hand Joystick

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »

Very fun man  Smiley. When I got a game over, I opened a new tab in chrome to google something. Ten minutes later, I think "Where is that music coming from?". It was the game over music. It was so relaxing it just faded into the background of my mind while I was browsing somewhere else haha. Keep up the good work!

Come to think of it, it's still playing.  Undecided

Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 05:03:07 PM »

Heh glad you like the music! It's my first time doing "acoustic"-style electronic music (and my first time using Reason) so that's nice to hear Smiley

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »

Nice job Chevy^^  I played for a while the other day, it was fun!  I like how you had to experiment in order to find out which spells were more effective against all the different enemies.  At first I had a tough time controlling the wizard, but I just stayed in the tutorial level for a while and practiced until I got the hang of it.

I had a couple questions... what were the castles for?  Were those just to block you, or did they have another function that I missed?  Also, when you kill those green monsters and they left green goo on the floor, did this goo heal the enemies?  I was never quite sure what was going on with that. 

Anyways, that was a cute and fun game!

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
ChevyRay
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:54 PM »

Thanks shigster.

You are correct about the green goo. One of the "tips" that pops up between levels explains it, otherwise the +s that pop up are supposed to hint you, but yeah, the goo heals enemies that walk on it.

For that reason, you often want to handle the green blog guys before they get too close to the egg, because if they die beside the egg, they'll leave their goo there, making enemies who have reached the egg stand still on it and continue healing!

The towers are just walls, and nothing else. They're created via randomly selected/rotated patterns to mix up the gameplay and mess around with the paths the enemies take (sometimes they'll even cause a group of enemies to split up). Also, you are unable to warp through them or create lightning gates over them, so they also are obstacles that you have to work around.

They're just a minor obstacle to mix up the gameplay and keep the arena changing up visually, nothing more.

EDIT: just 'cause matt did the music for this game doesn't mean you're off the hook, you're still on my list of musicians to collaborate with, so you'd better keep your guard up.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 02:25:52 PM »

Quote from: Chevy
EDIT: just 'cause matt did the music for this game doesn't mean you're off the hook, you're still on my list of musicians to collaborate with, so you'd better keep your guard up.
Hehe, of course!  That would be fun  Wink

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic