Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 07:16:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI know a new game that is out..
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: I know a new game that is out..  (Read 37588 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »

People only talk about things you could add/change to a game that they care about in some way (which may be because people really like or dislike it, but if someone really hates your game it's doubtful any changes would change their mind anyway). We really, really like Iji, and obviously as many of us are game designers ourselves we like to give a few ideas of our own. We wouldn't if we didn't care about the game as much as we do.

Also, it'd be foolish to expect you to actually implement all that people ask at this point, and don't take this wrong and think we dislike Iji for what it is. We do, and that's why we talk so much about it. It's actually a very inspiring game for me and gives me a little more motivation to do my own stuff.

Besides, no matter what kind of game you make you can't please everyone, ever. There are people out there who dislike Portal, for crap's sake!

The reason I'm talking about my 'suggestions', like I mentioned, was more in the sense of inspiring you in future games to do even better things (though they don't have to be as huge and epic if you don't wanna. Tongue) and keeping you aware of the things that you could 'maybe' improve (in your design of those future projects).

So yeah, keep up the good work and don't take criticism so seriously. It'll always be like that when you get to the spotlight. Filter the constructive criticism, cherish the praise and ignore the flames. Grin
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:41:08 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »

Filter the constructive criticism, cherish the praise and ignore the flames. Grin
Heh, that's pretty much what I'm doing. I realize now you were suggesting for future games, too. I already know that the flight speed in Hero 2, however the game will look or play in the end, will be higher than that of Hero because it was quite sluggish in retrospect. And I'm never doing a game the size of Iji again. Tongue
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2008, 01:27:38 PM »

And I'm never doing a game the size of Iji again. Tongue

That's an awful thing to know. Please change your mind one day. Sad
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »

I'm never doing a game the size of Iji again. Tongue
... Of course you won't the next one will be bigger.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »

*I don't see any possibilities for any other way the story could end, myself, unless you count a Komato Alpha Strike to be an ending you'd like to obtain  Evil
That's eerily true. My first thought was to have the Tasen survive, but really, that's quite impossible. I love the feeling of inevitability you put into the storyline.

Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »

Well I may make another game this size, but like Iji it would only happen by fluke - working on a small concept that eventually grew way too big before it was too late to turn back. :p

Fun(?) with the Scrambler:

DAN: Don't rainbow it. Now, to find the orbital and Krotera, swanky hyvy to get to another building in this complex - Sector 3 is split up between this building and the nixt one. Down Head to boogie could and stare the fyrst pointless you see.
subject of bunch of caviar - terminating
"Pretty" determines how prancing your Nanoweapons are.
one word from me will put an end to your meatballs!

Try Scrambling the pre-final boss chat and reading it aloud in a serious, angry voice. Optional: tape it.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2008, 06:22:20 PM »

You must learn from your experience!
Think about all the work you've done for Iji and find what was the most difficult and find ways to make it easier and/or streamline it.
If necessary program tools that will make you get faster at creating/importing,etc....
Examine all your actions and think about way to have them automated or rationalized.
See if you can't turn the code into a reusable engine.
etc...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »

Oh, one more thing! Grin

I, like many people, enjoyed playing with the Tasen Shredders. It would have been great to have a whole or around half or more of a sector be dedicated completely to them. But this is just another one of those "it would be cool if"s, so don't mind me. Tongue

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2008, 02:15:59 AM »

I'd say the problem with that is that shredders blow up way easy, and the komato beserkers can knock you off easily. Maybe if there were some light komato vehicle, that would be really fun.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2008, 03:24:45 AM »

Well, Ultimortal, since you seem to be pretty active here, it seems like a good place to ask: Will you give us permission to use Iji as a character in Indie Brawl? I know pretty much everyone is in agreement that she would make a great addition to the roster.

Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2008, 04:54:38 AM »

Indie Brawl?
Sure, why not. Smiley

I, like many people, enjoyed playing with the Tasen Shredders. It would have been great to have a whole or around half or more of a sector be dedicated completely to them.
I tried to make Sector 4 like that, since you can take one with you all the way to the end. They require a lot of flat architecture and slopes though, and make Iji overpowered since you can fire weapons from them. :p
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2008, 05:58:01 AM »

Oh, one more thing! Grin

I, like many people, enjoyed playing with the Tasen Shredders. It would have been great to have a whole or around half or more of a sector be dedicated completely to them. But this is just another one of those "it would be cool if"s, so don't mind me. Tongue

Idea: spinoff game Tasen Shredder Races Kiss
pnx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2008, 03:15:58 PM »

You know there's a lot of room for little spin-offs from this game, I imagine hyper turret game might play a lot like Blood Bowl. Shredder races would also be fun. You could even have a game about all these little games together.
Ultimortal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 12, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »

Um, Iji spinoffs doesn't sound very fun to me, there's only so much I can do with the setting. I want to move on from the game for now (yes, even if I end up actually making Hero 2 in which case you're free to call me a hypocrite). Smiley
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 12, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »

Maybe someone else will do it for you. Beer!

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2008, 10:57:51 PM »

The next compo should be an Iji Spinoffs Competition.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2008, 05:33:37 PM »

Hey Dan, if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to make Iji?
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2008, 05:48:37 PM »

NOTE: Spinoffs are not always a good idea.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2008, 05:53:39 PM »

I think he meant Rip-offs, as in, Cave Story rip-off, only it's Iji!  Kiss

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »

I actually thought Special Missions (the european release of VR Missions) was pretty good and fit within the style of the game. I spent ages trying to perfect my times.

But avoid the likes of Iji Spinball, Iji Is Missing, Iji Teaches Typing, Iji and Quote at the Olympic Games, Iji Racing, Iji's Mysterious Dungeon, etc.

Anyone for Lego Iji? Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic