Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 03:11:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 536053 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »

that sounds extremely unlikely
iffi
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »

I don't think that's the case, since the game itself doesn't slow down in laggy areas such as Blighttown. That, and framerate-dependent code would wreak havoc on the online gameplay.

I remember there being rumors that the keyboard controls aren't remappable, but the RockPaperShotgun article on this said that they are customizable, so that's nice, though I can't imagine any keyboard setup working better than a gamepad for this anyway.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »

i don't know a whole lot about the engine they're using (sony's phyreengine), but wouldn't that have a feature to make the game framerate independent built in?

also like iffi said, i never noticed the game itself slowing down in blighttown or any other other area with framerate drops.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2012, 07:16:12 AM »

Locking fps is the best thing to go for a game based on combat-mechanics. It is uneducated to demand fps based on the pc-specs.

what the fuck? how does that make sense?
To keep consistency in game-mechanics, you technical noob. I want a game that produces the exact same output to the same repeated input-sequence and not incompetent glitch-fests. A game should have solid rules.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »

Maybe its more common to build games that are frame rate-dependant when working on consoles? Since the developer can presume everyone plays with the same machine specs? I cant really imagine why they wouldn't do it otherwise, its not like it is a huge technical feat do make your game speed based on the time elapsed since the previous frame. I can do that in goddam game maker. Its just multiplying a little ratio everywhere. Maybe it has something to do with the multiplayer?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »

ok J-Snake obviously has no clue what he's talking about so I'm just going to stop responding to him.

also like iffi said, i never noticed the game itself slowing down in blighttown or any other other area with framerate drops.

because the game is obviously framerate independent. no developer in their right mind would make a game that isn't framerate independent. especially if they know their game has peformance issues already.

if the game is framerate independent (which dark souls is) then framerate shouldn't matter if it's 30 or 60 or whatever. the game will play exactly the same at 60 that it will at 30, it will just be smoother and better to look at.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »

Framerate dependance makes some sense in high-precision games like most of the arcade fighters with serious tournaments, but that's it.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2012, 12:51:59 AM »

otoh, if the port's "only" problems are the fixed resolution and the 30fps limit and it runs well otherwise, the game will still be just as enjoyable as the console version. it'll be like playing on an emulator, not the "optimal" experience for the platform, but still fun.

also it's worth noting that even if the port was perfect it'd probably still feel like a console game. there seems to be a lot of talk about how dark souls is a "pc game on consoles" which is simply not true.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »

Funny vid, only contains spoilers who aren't through with the first half of the game. If you already had a bonfire go out on you, nothing here will spoil you.

^^ DkS *CAN BE* a high-precision game at times.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2012, 07:01:17 AM »

the game will play exactly the same at 60 that it will at 30, it will just be smoother and better to look at.
Potentially yes (except for ballistic actions or stuff with non-linear movement), but only if it is fixed at 60, and only 60. It would mean they have to redo all the animations to double the animation-states-amount.

On a related note it is pathetic to see how many people are working on games and have a naive understanding/feeling for computer-representation of game-mechanics. It is the reason why there is so much crap out there, regarding game-mechanics.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »

i feel like you don't get told how much of an idiot you are enough, j-snake, so

you're an idiot

sincerely,

bobo

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
namragog
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:04 AM »

i feel like you don't get told how much of a dummy you are enough, j-snake, so

you're a dummy

sincerely,

nammies
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »

I just pointed out that the assumption is not correct that you can get the exact same game with an increased frame-rate in general, even when it is exactly doubled. Pretty likely you know nothing about numerics and its repercussions for play-mechanics.

I am making a perfect game. I have to know.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:00:31 AM by J-Snake » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2012, 11:11:15 AM »

If the game is properly coded, changing the framerate should only change how many frames are rendered, not change the game speed or animation speed.  This is ridiculously basic stuff.
What you likely mean is called variable time-step (I doubt you are talking about interpolated fixed timesteps) and if you don't see the problems with that then you are lacking the eye for technical details. With that attitude TrapThem would be a glitchy game.

TrapThem behaves exactly like I want it to behave, in every game-frame, on every system.
So its game-mechanics are perfect. I am making games with fixed update-rate by principle. I want to provide the exact same mechanics to every player, just like a board-game, only with dynamic dependencies.

The Dark Soul's devs are not changing the frame-rate because of all the mentioned problems. They want to keep it safe and consistent. It is a sportive combat-game and not a simulation. What they can add is eventual visual interpolation to give it a smoother look and better visuals since that won't affect the mechanics.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:53:33 AM by J-Snake » Logged

namragog
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »

J-snake, your game looks like someone squished a grape tomato into an anaconda's eye.
In short, It doesn't look fun, it's far from perfect, and it smells like tomato-snake.
Nothing makes sense. I could go into depth if you want me to, but basically, nothing you have said about framerates makes any sense.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »

don't talk about his game, that's what he wants.

he's wrong and ignoring everything anyone says, so just stop interacting with him. he's either trolling or seriously stupid. at this point I don't care which.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »

(TrapThem looks like squished tomatoes because the visuals are just more or less abstract placeholders)

I could go into depth if you want me to
Yes, I seriously want you to. I want to know the sort of confusion I cause or you already have.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »

can you just start a trapthem thread somewhere instead of derailing every fucking thread with your bs

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »

We are currently talking about the porting problems of Dark Souls. I gave reasonable arguments why to keep the game at 30fps if you don't want to mess it up and rework a lot of stuff.

I want him to elaborate what he thinks is wrong with that. So I think it is on topic.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »

just don't use the words "trap" or "them" in any of your arguments and maybe that will be true

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic