Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411651 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 11:02:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusiness"Legitimacy" of Game Maker?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: "Legitimacy" of Game Maker?  (Read 19412 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »

oh, ya, bitmap fonts being removed was pretty crazy. i've no idea why they did that, a good portion of big GM games used them

i didn't even know about the chr() change, that's interesting

@teegee - my impression was that even if you tick that box, you still have to refer to arguments as argument[3] etc., rather than argument3? that'd still involve a ton of changes to the code

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:16 AM »

No, you don't have to do that. If you tick that box, everything works as it did before.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ajf
Level 0

JavaScript + HTML5 FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »

No, you don't have to do that. If you tick that box, everything works as it did before.
Yeah. It's still worth taking advantage of though imo.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »

oh? good. that scares me off less from porting SD to 8.0 one day. now i only have to deal with the complete change in how transparency works, and edit hundreds of image files to use the new system. still a big task, but less big of a task than if i *also* had to make hundreds of edits to the code for function overloading

namragog
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »

My one problem with Game Maker is that it can not (Maybe I just don't know how to) create an installation prompt. You just download a .zip file, unzip it, and double click the game's icon, which to me, feels very illegitimate. Even if it takes less than two seconds to an install, games with that seem much better to me than just a little executable in a .zip. If there is a way to do this, I would love to be told. If not, darn.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »

uh... usually people use third-party installers for that. it doesn't matter what engine you're using; i'm not familiar with any language or engine that makes installers for you (although i'm sure they exist, they aren't common enough that i've ever encountered one)

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:33 AM »

why would you upgrade your game to gm 8, that sounds completely pointless

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ajf
Level 0

JavaScript + HTML5 FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »

why would you upgrade your game to gm 8, that sounds completely pointless
It added a lot of stuff. Wasn't it v8 that had alpha transparency? Maybe it was 7.

It's 8.1 we had a problem with btw, not 8.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2012, 12:53:13 PM »

I meant paul specifically, SD has been in development for years. Why would you move it to a new thing? sounds dum

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »

because of the faster execution speed; they removed the overhead for function calls, so it'd run faster in gm8

and gm7 added alpha transparency, not gm8. gm8 forced you to use alpha transparency, whereas gm7 didn't (gm7 still let you use gm6's 'the bottom left corner is the transparent color' method)

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »

GM8 still lets you use binary transparency. Basically, GM8 is just a faster GM7, but with a different syntax for loading external sprites (no need to differentiate between sprite_add and sprite_add_alpha). GM8.1 is the same thing, but broken.

A good reason to still use GM7 is that it's compatible with GM4Mac. With Studio still being very unstable, it's the best bet for multiplatform games. Personally, I develop everything in GM4Mac, and then port to GM8 for the PC.

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2012, 03:04:17 PM »

can you still "buy" gm8? or do they only sell gm8.1? from the sounds of it, i'd like to port to gm8, not gm8.1

ajf
Level 0

JavaScript + HTML5 FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »

can you still "buy" gm8? or do they only sell gm8.1? from the sounds of it, i'd like to port to gm8, not gm8.1
[/quoute]I think you can use a GM8.1 key with GM8.0...

Was 8.1 a paid upgrade? I don't know, I never upgraded.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

I think you can't buy it. Which makes me really glad I kept all versions. Maybe you could download it somehow and use a GM8.1 key? GM8.1 is slowly getting better, but I still find it too risky to use for anything commercial.

Tom Grochowiak
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »

Gm8.0 is no longer sold, but yes, GM8.0 owners got (and I believe, still do get) a free upgrade to GM8.1.

The activation key is different from GM8, to 8.1, (in fact, I seem to recall that you use the GM8 key as a 'discount' code when purchasing 8.1.. but that was a while ago)

YYG's no longer supports older/depreciated versions of GM, so it no longer sells (or even hosts) GM8.0 and older.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic