Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 02:17:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIs the IGDA worth joining?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is the IGDA worth joining?  (Read 2272 times)
archagon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »

I'd never heard of the IGDA before going to GDC, but they seemed to be everywhere. Is it an organization that's worth joining? Are there many independent developers in the IGDA, or is it more for developers in the mainstream industry? Thanks!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

tim langdell was on the board of directors of the igda. when he started suing indie game developers frivolously over the use of the term "edge" in their games (even though he had not released a game in 20 years and just made money through suing anyone who uses the word edge in their games) the igda defended him (just search this forum for igda or tim langdell for the full story). that's reason enough for me not to join

i have heard some good things about them too regarding local meetups etc. but you can get the same things without them

gameyeti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »

I didn't know that, but the first thing I thought of was the fact that Edge Online is doing a contest right now for indie games with the theme of "Edge" for a chance to win Unity3d Pro licenses.. http://www.edge-online.com/features/enter-edge-create-challenge-2012

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

yeah there was also an "edge" contest here on tigsource as well

b.rad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »

no

Pit 0 free steampunk quarry escape shooter
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »

A lot of the local IGDA chapters do not require any dues to go to a local meetup.  If that is the case in your area, it's worth going to them, but paying to join isn't high on my priority list.

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »

tim langdell was on the board of directors of the igda. when he started suing indie game developers frivolously over the use of the term "edge" in their games (even though he had not released a game in 20 years and just made money through suing anyone who uses the word edge in their games) the igda defended him (just search this forum for igda or tim langdell for the full story). that's reason enough for me not to join

i have heard some good things about them too regarding local meetups etc. but you can get the same things without them

But what i know is that Tim Langdell was removed from the IGDA board in 2009 and his membership was terminated in 2010...and he now doesn't owns the "edge" word.

Google it and you will see.

And in my case...well...i'm too far from all the meetups and exists a plan to create a IGDA chapter here in Peru. So maybe i will join them, when the chapter becomes a reality.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »

i know that -- but the board defended him for a long time until they were finally forced to hold a special vote to see if he should be removed; he retired rather than waiting for the outcome of that vote. he also kept suing people about the word edge even after he left the igda, until EA finally won a case against him

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »

i know that -- but the board defended him for a long time until they were finally forced to hold a special vote to see if he should be removed; he retired rather than waiting for the outcome of that vote. he also kept suing people about the word edge even after he left the igda, until EA finally won a case against him

Yeah, They were forced by the same members of IGDA (for what i read) and Langdell left because he already knew the outcome. And finally they stop him to do something really unethical. Clever, but unethical. Well deserved.

Anyway, i expect the creation of the IGDA chapter. That way we can create more meetups where i live, because here...i can count it with only 5 fingers or less.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »

What I've found from attending IGDA meetings in both Ottawa (where I live) and Montreal (which is s short drive from here) is that it really depends on what chapter you are attending.

The last two I went to in Montreal were massive events with hundreds of people including plenty of indies, whereas with the Ottawa meetings I've stopped attending because they were pretty anemic.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »

The local chapter we have out here in Phoenix, AZ is pretty cool. They don't charge anything for joining, and the meetings are usually pretty fun and informative. Plus, its a great way to network with the local talent, and also a good place to look for teams to join or to recruit for your own team.

From my experience so far, the IGDA has been relatively informal, doesn't seem to have any stiff requirements, and has been inoffensive at worst, and both pleasant and useful. I'd recommend joining to anyone interested.
Hijinkz
Level 0

Ask about the Moon Bananas!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »

If you are curious, it's worth attending one or two meetings to see if you like it or not. I've been to some meetings at the Chicago chapter and met a whole bunch of awesome people.

PR/Social Media for Mobile and Indie Games
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:42 AM »

It really depends on the chapter I suppose.  IGDA has worldwide chapters whose situation is far removed from the major US chapters. 

I used to head the Manila, Philippines chapter a couple of years back and it was fun because we were starting from scratch and building a community together. We never charged anything and people always seemed happy and pleased to find out there was a community of game developers here.  It can be a good opportunity to meet people who are passionate about game development in the flesh, something that can be a rarity if you live out of the major game development regions.

Your local IGDA may also hold gamejams, like we have for the past 3 years.  In fact we held the first Manila gamejam here, and the idea is starting to catch on.

So basically I agree that it really depends in the chapter you're looking to join.

Shackhal: Not sure if I understand correctly but you're saying someone's looking to set up an IGDA chapter in Peru?  Sounds like a great idea, maybe you can join them in setting it up.  Speaking from experience it's a lot of work bringing a chapter together but really worth it in the end.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic