Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:30:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449382 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: September 24, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »

now just imagine a pack of them running through the dark  Hand Metal Right

"They come in pints packs?"

Oh joy... Sounds intense...

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4721 on: September 24, 2015, 04:11:34 PM »

now just imagine a pack of them running through the dark  Hand Metal Right

"They come in pints packs?"

Oh joy... Sounds intense...
Right? Two pack hunters in the game?

I imagine that while the yellows are like velociraptors - intelligent, cunning, working together - these bird things are probably like gallimimus - just a mindless stampeding mass of angry birds

Or I could be totally wrong...

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
troyduguid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4722 on: September 25, 2015, 01:24:34 AM »

Posting to follow.
Man... I just can't deal with how awesome this world you are building is.

FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: September 25, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »

This game looks way cool.

-FawfulBeans, professor of original compliments, Harvard university
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: September 25, 2015, 12:53:28 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you all!

That's one freaky bird... Amazing work as always.

...Do you get tired of hearing us say the same compliments over and over again?
Actually it's very nice to know that there are still people out there who are excited... Been at it for a loooong time now  Shocked

Is it supposed to be a bio-mechanical thing? That's the vibe I'm getting from the legs and the almost rhythmic/mechanical snapping of the beak. The light trail on the eyes looks great

Edit: Slowed down that GIF a bit
http://i.imgur.com/LKz0mAi.gif
You can see the leg pistons adjusting as it clambers up ledges and jumps around. I love details like that

Thanks! Yeah, this one has some pretty obvious machine parts on it!
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4725 on: September 25, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »

Update 481

Some cosmetic individualization and a bit more work on the behavior. Just because you're a pack doesn't mean you're friends...

Also I implemented a blinding effect from the flare fruit. It should theoretically work on all creatures, though not all of them have custom animation to convey it as clearly as this one - yet, at least.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4726 on: September 25, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »

god, does it look amazeballs

bitserum
« Reply #4727 on: September 25, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »

These birds are things of nightmares, I'm really mesmerized by their movement, I find them the most interesting creatures so far, and I thought the spider-thing would take the cake Shocked
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: September 25, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

god, does it look amazeballs

Bro Fist Left Shocked

Saijin_Naib
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: September 25, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »

These SnappingBirds are some of your coolest work yet.

I love the flashbang effect of the Flare Fruit.

Will you make Slugcat slightly vulnerable to its effects as well?

I'm thinking CS 1.6 style, where it effects enemies more than yourself/friendlies, but you SHOULD still try to look away when you chuck it.

Would perhaps a screenspace effect be something possible for a Slugcat self-flash?
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: September 25, 2015, 02:10:36 PM »

Actually it's very nice to know that there are still people out there who are excited... Been at it for a loooong time now

For the avoidance of doubt, I am also SUPER HYPED for this game. Might be my most anticipated game right now actually.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4731 on: September 25, 2015, 03:21:40 PM »

I've loved all your creature designs so far but this most recent one doesn't seem as creative to me.

Really, it just looks like a rip off of Sweet Dee from Always Sunny.

Kidding! It's been fascinating watching the game become what it is now. Everything about it is so fucking astounding!  Grin
Flatgub
Level 0

My existence is questionable at best

View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: September 25, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »

Holy hell this looks absolutely beautiful!  Shocked
I've been following this for a little while but now I just HAVE to say how stunning it is.
I have so much hype for this!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4733 on: September 26, 2015, 04:09:20 AM »

So are those fireflies there to make you nervous because you can't in a split second tell them from a bird's eye? Because that's pretty brilliant

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: September 26, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »

Some cosmetic individualization and a bit more work on the behavior. Just because you're a pack doesn't mean you're friends...
I'm curious about how their pack behavior will be different from the yellow lizard pack. They have no antennas, so I expect less coordination. They probably just charge and pile up on you instead of carefully flanking.

I'm also curious about how they interact with lizards. Do they eat them like a prey, or just scare away like a competitor?
Lucs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: September 27, 2015, 02:23:09 AM »

Looks awesome as usual, now I'd be curious to hear what these birds will sound like.

flashysquirrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: September 27, 2015, 02:35:32 AM »

you seem so experienced now programming AI on ragdolls like these bio mechanic things. I'm so curious about how you programmed it, i guess there is A* for pathfinding ? but how does the ragdoll find its balance and learn how to walk, some genetic algorythm ?
i would just say they look a bit sloppy when they climb a high platform, the limbs get a little mixed together, but it's still extremeley cool!

charliecarlo
Level 1

The Duke of Dementia

View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: September 27, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

I believe this qualifies as "sicknasty".  Beer!

tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: September 27, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »

Gorgeous!

Reminds me of sligs from the Oddworld games. I played the hell out of those as a kid.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: September 28, 2015, 02:35:04 AM »

Thank you thank you thank you  Grin

Will you make Slugcat slightly vulnerable to its effects as well?
Maybe? A complete blindness might be a bit too much, but something is not out of the question.

Really, it just looks like a rip off of Sweet Dee from Always Sunny.
Well, at least we wear our inspirations on the sleeve! You could tell straight away!

So are those fireflies there to make you nervous because you can't in a split second tell them from a bird's eye? Because that's pretty brilliant
That is art by accident - the flies were made before we started thinking about the birds, but when was working with the birds I noticed it as well and did play along with it a bit. Pretty representative for the process we have actually - as we're both designers and devs we can freely pick up stuff like that when we come across it.

I'm curious about how their pack behavior will be different from the yellow lizard pack. They have no antennas, so I expect less coordination. They probably just charge and pile up on you instead of carefully flanking.

I'm also curious about how they interact with lizards. Do they eat them like a prey, or just scare away like a competitor?
Yeah, they basically don't coordinate. These guys are no geniuses, they rely more on snapping constantly and hope that somthing will end up between their jaws. Their interaction with any other creature is just snapping at them a lot, haha!

you seem so experienced now programming AI on ragdolls like these bio mechanic things. I'm so curious about how you programmed it, i guess there is A* for pathfinding ? but how does the ragdoll find its balance and learn how to walk, some genetic algorythm ?
i would just say they look a bit sloppy when they climb a high platform, the limbs get a little mixed together, but it's still extremeley cool!
Yep, A*! The trick is actually that it's not a ragdoll, so it doesn't need to find balance etc. To clarify - if I was using the "animate a ragdoll" method, I would start out with a thing that was limp on the ground, but behaving correctly in terms of physics. Then I'd have to make forces pull at this thing, and I'd have to worry about a million things such as balance.

Instead I work backwards - I start out with a pretty typical "game" movement, a thing that just swishes through the air following the A*. Then I put legs on it, then I make the legs seek contact with the ground. Then I make it so that when the legs are not in contact with the ground, the body is affected by a bit of gravity. Basically I start out with a movement that has nothing to do with physical correctness but which works, and then I add cosmetic details that makes it appear more physically correct. But it's all fake - the legs of these birds for example doesn't consist of the same "matter" as their bodies but are just 2D vectors with no weight etc.

A lot of the behaviors look really sloppy! That's why it's cool to be in this fantasy world with these fantasy creatures. If I were to animate a human looking figure like this I wouldn't get away with it for 2 seconds, but as no-one knows what these creatures are supposed to move like their sloppy scrambling might pass for correct.

Reminds me of sligs from the Oddworld games. I played the hell out of those as a kid.
Oh yeah I love oddworld! Never owned one myself but I played them at a friend's. Good stuff!
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic