Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 06:38:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: MDickie Publishes Book, Leaves Game Design  (Read 37659 times)
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2009, 11:30:25 PM »

Perhaps MDickie is like Ed Wood and you guys are like hipsters who like Ed Wood movies.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2009, 02:01:38 AM »

Perhaps MDickie is like Ed Wood and you guys are like hipsters who like Ed Wood movies.

OMG I love Ed Wood...

But I like the movie "Ed Wood" more than his films. :\

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2009, 03:17:29 AM »

The fact that he has a blatant disregard for the standing "rules" of game design (whether its intentional or not) are why MDIckie's games are sometimes more surprising and interesting than well-produced mainstream games.
Really? I didn't see much of a 'disregard for the rules of game desing' in Hard Time. Mostly it just seemed like he was trying to combine elements from GTA and The Sims. Whatever was unusual about the game came from its glitches and all-round shittiness, not from any effort on MDickie's part.

To me, this seems like watching a home movie off Youtube and praising its innovative use of long tracking shots.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2009, 05:08:25 AM »

The fact that he has a blatant disregard for the standing "rules" of game design (whether its intentional or not) are why MDIckie's games are sometimes more surprising and interesting than well-produced mainstream games.
Really? I didn't see much of a 'disregard for the rules of game desing' in Hard Time. Mostly it just seemed like he was trying to combine elements from GTA and The Sims. Whatever was unusual about the game came from its glitches and all-round shittiness, not from any effort on MDickie's part.

To me, this seems like watching a home movie off Youtube and praising its innovative use of long tracking shots.

That's kind of the same thing that I'm saying, actually. Its like his lack of ability to produce a polished game makes the games more interesting.

I don't really think he's doing it intentionally, but it still leads to interesting moments. But there are more interesting moments in MDickie games than in a lot of other poorly made games... so there's some kind of magic going on there.

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »

The magic of isolation and mental illness? I can relate to the sentiment.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: February 12, 2009, 12:15:40 PM »

When a game does something that makes absolutely no sense and the author didn't intend it to, it may be an "interesting moment" in the sense that it's interesting when a pigeon unexpectedly drops a turd onto someone you see walking around on the street. But I wouldn't credit the responsible party with having done something really great.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: February 12, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »

You would if he took a fly-by shit on Hitler.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: February 12, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »

Heh. Um, well, if I ever see Hitler walking around the street, I'll probably have bigger problems to worry about than deciding whether God deserves credit for letting a bird crap on him.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »

Kinda confused by the anger directed towards MDickie and anyone who likes his stuff, actually. I don't see anything particularly wrong with finding it interesting.

increpare
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »

I played hard times, and the main thing that bothered me about it were the unfastforwardable cutscenes. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29:26 PM »

Please don't get me wrong, my only animosity is directed towards MDickie himself, for his regrettably irritating megalomania.

I don't mind niche games, and I play an awful lot of them myself. But even allowing for that, MDickie was so far under the radar for me that I hardly even knew he existed before this thread was made. I had heard passing mentions of Hard Times, but it never looked interesting enough (to me) to warrant a play through. And I'm cool with that. Honest.

But he isn't cool with that. He seems to be obsessed with himself, to the point of totally tuning out every other person in his trade. I can agree that this, because it encourages originality in games. But MDickie seems to have this super-tunnel-vision power that allows him to only see himself when he's making the game, but then he starts touting it around in relation to everything else once he's done.

So he has the advantage of isolation from the potential of derivative gameplay, and that's cool. But he also has the resultant rampant ignorance that causes his "I am the best person ever" rants. When you develop so far outside the norm of even indie game design, you'll probably do some things right that nobody expected. But at the same time, you get more and more of an "apples and oranges" effect when you try to relate your games with any other games.

I'd say cactus is another developer who operates outside the norm of game design, but he doesn't swing the fact around like a chainsaw. Same thing with Edmund. Probably the same with Toady One of Dwarf Fortress. And I'd say Ultimortal is an even better example than MDickie, because he makes really good games that don't follow the restrictions of "standard" development. Iji had highly unusual but excellent graphics. Tower of Elite was a fun puzzle game that operated by fairly unique standards (I haven't ever seen a puzzle/platformer mix that can match the blend that ToE manages). And Garden Gnome Carnage is a deliciously bizarre game with an awesome gameplay design.

So I guess the bottom line is, I feel like MDickie just gets his attention because he's the underdog. There are people who who include even more design innovation in their games, but their games are more popular as a result. And that actually makes them less popular, because MDickie better represents the "indie spirit" with his underdog games.

That's probably an overly bitter analysis, but I can't stand megalomania, anywhere.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2009, 06:10:26 PM »

I can understand disliking megalomania, but his megalomania is either a psychological problem or something he uses as a style, and there's no reason to hate someone's games just because they have psychological problems or just because they promote their games in a certain way. It seems a bit like hating people who are paranoid, or hating people with schizophrenia. When I've talked to him one on one via email, he's a decent, nice person. He's never spewed as much hate toward other developers as people have toward him in this thread.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2009, 06:42:54 PM »

I can understand disliking megalomania, but his megalomania is either a psychological problem or something he uses as a style, and there's no reason to hate someone's games just because they have psychological problems or just because they promote their games in a certain way. It seems a bit like hating people who are paranoid, or hating people with schizophrenia. When I've talked to him one on one via email, he's a decent, nice person. He's never spewed as much hate toward other developers as people have toward him in this thread.

I find the whole megalomania thing pretty funny and almost... cute? Its definitely the style he's chosen to go with, and I find it actually makes his games more enjoyable.

One example is how the end credits are always just a list of his name over and over again.  Smiley

But the bottom line is I respect him as a creator, as I do many other creators. He makes stuff that I enjoy experiencing.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2009, 07:14:23 PM »

I enjoy his credits too. When I first saw them I thought: why doesn't he just list the roles and put his name under it, instead of repeating his name over and over for each role? But then I came to like the style of it.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »

I'm not angry. I just think it's silly to praise someone for producing games that are unintentionally funny because of how glitchy and poorly crafted they are. Unless I misunderstood your point?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »

[...]

The endless tide of retro platformers are a bit like the rain dance. Old platform games were awesome (sometimes), so people hope that if they make something with lo-fi graphics, they'll get something great too. Except that it wasn't the lo-fi graphics that made the games great (after all, those graphics were usually cutting edge at the time), it was gameplay and fun and the desire to make a well-crafted game.
[...]

we need more cutting-edge graphics retro-style gameplay games.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

New Super Mario Bros. is a great example. And, before it was released, Sonic Unleashed looked like a 2D sonic gone 3D. Then the werehog came...  Cry

But, yeah, more 3D games which feel like retro games should be released. Sadly, that has been reversed, as said in that quote.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »

I don't believe that the reason we are seeing a revewed surge in retro graphics platformers is because of peoples nostalgic attachment to them. I believe it's mostly because of three things:

1) Cave Story
2) so many people use game maker and multimedia function. for some reason people generally keep graphics in those at lower resolutions.
3) there is suddenly a renewed interest in pixel art.  Cave Story is perhaps responsible for this too.
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »

I think people around here routinely overestimate the influence of  Cave Story

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

I thought Pixel invented pixel art! Hence the name? Shows what I know.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic