Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:36:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Path
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Path  (Read 6785 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »

Anyone else buy it / play it yet?

Also this video (of the two developers of the game in bed) is great:

Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »

That video just convinced me to buy it. :D
How is the game?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »

It is fun, my own problem with it so far is the walking speed is rather slow (which others have mentioned). But for me it's worth the $10 for the visuals alone.

ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »

Yeah, the only thing holding me back right now is not knowing anything about it. I'll probably do some more research, like what the gameplay is like and all, and then decide if I want to buy it.

Looks rad based on the previews, though.

But for me it's worth the $10 for the visuals alone.
Sometimes that'll do it! I bought Odin Sphere just so I could gaze glossily at the beautiful artwork.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »

Yeah, I think their decision to launch without a demo is understandable, but I hope there is one eventually, because people can't be sure the game will even run on their machine without one.

Also it's apparently the 8th best-selling game on Steam today:

destroysound
Level 0

apparently this is possible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:38:15 PM »

In b4 pages of discussion about rape metaphors in video games.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:57:33 PM by destroysound » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

Haha, try to keep spoilers out of the thread, or at least label them. The game was just released, afterall.

destroysound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »

How is that a spoiler? A glance at the game's site can give you a good idea of what goes on in this game.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »

All the main site has about it is "Please note that while The Path does not contain any graphic violence or sexuality, it does allude to these themes. The overall melancholy mood of the game and the potentially unsettling course of events, make The Path unsuitable for children. Despite of its origins in fairy tales, The Path is decidedly a game for the mature mind."

destroysound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »

Spoiler: This game is about rape. Also Paul Eres has a minuscule penis. Trufax.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:57:04 PM by destroysound » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »

That's not much of a spoiler tag -- usually you use really small text or something so that people won't accidentally read it Smiley

ChevyRay
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 03:53:18 PM »

Yeah, destroysound. While I in particular don't mind spoilers at all, lots of people do. Just keep it low-profile.

@Paul: yeah, I didn't really mean a demo... I meant like... even an idea of what the gameplay is like. Like, do I walk around, is it point & click, is there fighting or not?
destroysound
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »

Fixed it for ya.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »

Okay, quick summary:

There are 6 characters, sisters. Each one is their own "chapter". A 7th one supposedly opens up when you finish all 6, but I didn't get there yet. It's modeled on the Red Riding Hood fairy tale, an early version of it. You are going to grandma's house. If you stay on the path and go to grandma's house, you make it there safely, but fail. To "finish" a girl's chapter, you need to go off the path and find their "wolf" -- the wolf varies in form for each character. You can also collect items and flowers, although they don't seem to do much except trigger cutscenes and stay in your inventory (although perhaps they do do stuff, since when one of my characters picked up the knife she said "this may be useful"). If you find a girl's "wolf", you complete her chapter and she disappears from the character select screen, you can no longer play as her after that. Each character has a unique personality, and says different things when finding the different items. There's also a mute girl who runs around the forest and can take you back to the path if you get lost. The main draw of the game is the visuals and all the different things in the forest, so it's an "exploration game" that focuses on atmosphere and finding interesting things in out of the way places, much like knytt or seiklus, but in 3D.

Devlin
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »

Don't think my machine can run it.
However, based on the reviews, I don't think i'd want to play it, although it does look nice.
ChevyRay
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »

Hmm, Knytt or Seiklus weren't really my kind of game. I'm more of the action game type. But it still looks interesting, and like you said, it's worth it for the visuals alone.

Also, I love to support games/media with disputable subject matter. >_>
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 04:12:18 PM »

Bought it, but it crashes immediately when I start it up.
I was really looking forward to playing it too!
 Panda
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 04:19:47 PM »

You could probably email them about the crash, maybe they know what to do. Does your computer meet the minimum specs on their site?

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »

I think this is the same problem that I encountered, so I think the developers know of it already.
ChevyRay
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »

we are aware that on some computers people are getting this error. We are trying to track down the problem. Michael will show up in this thread with some suggestions just as soon as he gets a chance. We solved it on one computer.... so don't give up, we'll try to get you up and running.

Saw that post on the topic. So hopefully they've tracked down what might be causing it.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic