Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:44:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIGF Winners announced
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: IGF Winners announced  (Read 12081 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 07:21:13 AM »

it was horrible to sit through. i don't think i ever want to go through that again. erik is the fucking master though, i'm so glad he won it. awesome. man i'm hung over Smiley

mirosurabu
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:15 AM »

What can I say when many aren't released yet?

Pity for Dyson, but perhaps the Garden game is indeed mind-blowing as some claim to be.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »

Everything is mind blowing now in these days. Toss in a bit of esoterical music and some computer generated artwork and BAM you got a bunch of people saying a geni... Am I sayng this out loud? Ah ha ha I'm sorry, this is not aimed at anyone around here, it's just that, sometimes, I feel like bitchin' about games that are so called "mind blowing" by the masses.

Seriously, I don't recall playing Blueberry Garden so I have no idea. I remember vaguely a thread about it somewhere on TIGS but I dunno. Is there a demo anywhere? Out of curisotiy, does anyone knows how many IGF awards Cortex Command won since this was not their first participation?

jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »

This is the first time they won, isn't it? If they had won before, they wouldn't have been allowed to participate again.

Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »

They've submitted many times, this was the first time they've been nominated.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »

Everything is mind blowing now in these days. Toss in a bit of esoterical music and some computer generated artwork and BAM you got a bunch of people saying a geni... Am I sayng this out loud? Ah ha ha I'm sorry, this is not aimed at anyone around here, it's just that, sometimes, I feel like bitchin' about games that are so called "mind blowing" by the masses.

Oh, don't worry. You're Guert. You're allowed to say stuff like that.

Also, I agree.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 11:20:36 AM »

Yay, I voted for Cortex Command. Awesome game and in this case everybody can see for themselves. Smiley
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »

Well then big congrats to Cortex Command then! Smiley I'm happy they got some recognition Smiley

Don:  Gentleman

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:49 AM »

Congratulations to Erik and Blueberry Garden, that game really deserves it Grin

How do you know? (I'm not asking to be a jerk, by the way--I genuinely want to know how you know it deserves to win, given that the game hasn't been released yet.)

I've played it at No More Sweden, and I have a beta build on my computer. Tongue

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »

Congratulations to MORTON

tweet tweet @j_younger
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 09:18:20 AM »

Wow, what a surprise, a Digipen game won the student showcase

Roll Eyes

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »

How do you know? (I'm not asking to be a jerk, by the way--I genuinely want to know how you know it deserves to win, given that the game hasn't been released yet.)

I also wonder that. This makes like the third time in a row (?) that the grand prize winner was a game that didn't even have a demo available to the public.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »

Yeah I dont get that. Is it really fair to enter games that arent released/completed? I mean, the public and other indie developers can't share opinions on the winning entries until they are released, gameplay wise.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »

I personaly don't see any issues with that. Of course, I'd personaly rather have a demo to play the actual game to see what the fuss is all about. But I can understand why there wouldn't be one since most games that win the IGF are in-dev, as opposed to other awards where the games that claim the honors are usualy released. Its weird cuz a lot of the developers who win the IGF prizes uses the money to actualy finish the game.

I am looking forward to see demo released, like Fez or Blueberry garden since they received a lot of attention.

Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

Blueberry Garden better be unbelievably awesome.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »

I don't see a problem with the game not being public.  It's in the rules that it only has to have one "level" and doesnt have to be completely finished.  As long as it's available to the judges I don't see the issue.  Of course, good luck winning an audience award without a public demo or a shit-ton of hype.

PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »

I also wonder that. This makes like the third time in a row (?) that the grand prize winner was a game that didn't even have a demo available to the public.
Well all those winners turned out to be quite awesome so I see nothing wrong with it so far. Smiley
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »

I don't see that as an issue either as the competition judges are the only ones who decide the nominees and they do play the games (some of you might say they should let the public vote on everything, though). And as said they allow for just concept-games rather than truly finished and polished ones.
Levin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »

Congrats to Erik Smiley can't wait to play Blueberry Garden   Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:
Zaphos
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »

It seems like the award has the most potential impact when the game hasn't been released yet, so it's actually pretty important to allow unfinished games to win.

Also, anyone who attends GDC can play the games on the show floor and know what the fuss is about, so from the conference's perspective it's just more incentive for people to come to the show!

Also also, Blueberry Garden is pretty cool.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic