Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411665 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 06:53:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNom Nom Marathon.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nom Nom Marathon.  (Read 2888 times)
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »

Nom Nom Marathon [prototype]

A bunch of monsters are racing in their yearly marathon and you decide who eats who during the race.
There are 6 species of monsters in the race and 60 in total. Each specie has different prey, and monsters can eat other monsters one place to the right or three places to the right.

The game is designed for tablets but here's a web-player version for you to try out:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/521836/NomNom/NomNomMarathon.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:02:09 PM by perky » Logged
mgatland
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »

I enjoyed the cheerful music and graphics. Visually, I liked it a lot.

A couple of issues:

1. It was hard for me to work out how to play - the rules about what monster can move where, and even realising that my goal was to get all the monsters eaten took me a little while to figure out.

(It might've been easier for me if the levels started out very simple - e.g. a level that can be won in only one move.)

2. Not sure I'm OK with the black afro monster, seems like a bit too much of a stereotype? (Note, I'm not black and not from the US so I don't really know)
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 05:29:04 AM »

A couple of issues:

1. It was hard for me to work out how to play - the rules about what monster can move where, and even realising that my goal was to get all the monsters eaten took me a little while to figure out.

(It might've been easier for me if the levels started out very simple - e.g. a level that can be won in only one move.)

2. Not sure I'm OK with the black afro monster, seems like a bit too much of a stereotype? (Note, I'm not black and not from the US so I don't really know)

Thanks for the feedback mgatland. All the art assets are stub assets from stock sites at the moment, I've contacted an illustrator i'm really keen to bring on board. I've created more of a tutorial now, the link in the OP will take you to the newest build. Think your right about the first level only needing one move though.
DaMastaGama
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »

I enjoyed the cheerful presentation. I agree with mgatland on the first level. The first level as it is now is a bit difficult since you don't really know what to do. Furthermore i think you should add some kind of monster encyclopedia where you describe each monsters abilities and possible a funny story about their possibility or so.

Funny game, on which platforms will you release it?
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

I enjoyed the cheerful presentation. I agree with mgatland on the first level. The first level as it is now is a bit difficult since you don't really know what to do. Furthermore i think you should add some kind of monster encyclopedia where you describe each monsters abilities and possible a funny story about their possibility or so.

Funny game, on which platforms will you release it?

I'm currently focusing on just iPad at the moment but i'm building it in unity so I can do all the major platforms, its just whether I have to time and resources. Encyclopedia is a nice idea, gives me fond memories of the encyclopedia in ratchet and clank games.
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:52:22 AM »

I've created a tutorial and really lowered the learning curve, let me know your thoughts. Also started on the menus, it's still all stub assets just working on layout and flow.

RedOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »

This is a really funny and a cute concept. And I can see it becoming a really addicting game. A few of my thoughts/initial reactions for you:

- I can go through the tutorial without actually following the instructions (without dragging monsters), but it continues on and even says "well done!" when I haven't done anything - I'd make it so players actually have to do what the tutorial asks before they can continue...it may sound restrictive, but it's actually a lot more effective in my opinion.

- When you get to a point where the level becomes unbeatable, the game should say so/restart the level. With bigger levels this is pretty much necessary, with smaller levels it's simply a courtesy, but a nice one.

- When you win it should say "tap to go to the next level" or something like that.

- The game is a little difficult even at level 1 - I'd suggest introducing the different monsters more slowly so players gradually learn each one's abilities.

Glad to see you're hoping for new graphics - the current graphics are fine but pretty generic.
Good luck with further deveopment!
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:02 AM »

This is a really funny and a cute concept. And I can see it becoming a really addicting game. A few of my thoughts/initial reactions for you:

- I can go through the tutorial without actually following the instructions (without dragging monsters), but it continues on and even says "well done!" when I haven't done anything - I'd make it so players actually have to do what the tutorial asks before they can continue...it may sound restrictive, but it's actually a lot more effective in my opinion.

- When you get to a point where the level becomes unbeatable, the game should say so/restart the level. With bigger levels this is pretty much necessary, with smaller levels it's simply a courtesy, but a nice one.

- When you win it should say "tap to go to the next level" or something like that.

- The game is a little difficult even at level 1 - I'd suggest introducing the different monsters more slowly so players gradually learn each one's abilities.

Glad to see you're hoping for new graphics - the current graphics are fine but pretty generic.
Good luck with further deveopment!

Good points RedOwl.
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:04 AM »

Thinking of ways to vary the core mechanics, how does a multiplayer mode sound? It'll be 1v1 and you get a bunch of monsters in your 'hand' and each turn you can either add a monster from your hand to the end of the line or have one of your monsters in the line take an action.

Also might add an endless mode, which gives you a random stream of monsters and you just see how far you can get. I could make it random each time or just use the same seed and then have leaderboards for the endless mode, or maybe you can pick the seed and challenge your friends via gamecenter. Just throwing ideas out, you reckon I should just stick with the core puzzles or does it becomes more of the same after a while and needs new modes to spice things up?
FGL_Aaron
Level 0

Happy to help!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »

Howdy perky!

I'm new to the forums and just thought I'd pop in and offer up a bit of feedback, starting with you! Smiley

Here's a 5 minute review of myself playing your game, with audio commentary (frustration included): https://fgl.viewscreencasts.com/31e358a743934ad78332fc5c024b4175

Overall I found the game idea to be interesting, potentially fun, and has fairly cute graphics to boot. There are still some glaring things missing from the current version (like a title screen), but I think the biggest challenge you face right now is making that tutorial top notch and easy/fun to play.

Tutorial - The tutorial levels should be very simple, with lots of rewards to make the player feel good about beating them.

Text Overkill! - The current tutorials contain WAAAAAY too much text. You can teach the players how to play this game in under 5 levels, using no more than 3 creatures and image tooltips. This will be extremely important if you hope to sell licenses to your Web and mobile versions.

Game Agent/Engineer at FGL.com
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:49:28 AM »

A couple of issues:

Yea I agree with this. Nice cute visuals and smooth gameplay.

I thought the game could be more fun though. I mean its nice for a logical puzzle game but initially i felt like most of the time in the game i was trying to "figure stuff out". Instead of a game it felt more like work

Plus I think the afro monster was a nice touch and not offensive at all.

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
perky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »

I'v redesigned the the first set of levels, there is now zero tutorial text and it's explained with animated symbols which I hope are intuitive.

Nom Nom WebPlayer:

Let me know what you think, did you understand the mechanics within the first 2 levels? Did you ever feel frustrated? Did you want to play more levels when you got to planet 2?

All feedback appreciated chaps!  Gentleman

P.S. Thanks for that video feedback FGL_Aaron it's really cool to get something like that, I hope you do more of those for other games.
FGL_Aaron
Level 0

Happy to help!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »

P.S. Thanks for that video feedback FGL_Aaron it's really cool to get something like that, I hope you do more of those for other games.

Thanks! I'm glad you found the feedback useful.  Smiley

I actually was planning on providing similar video feedback for other web and mobile games (the platforms that I know best) as the need arises and time allows. This is actually one of the things I do for FGL.  Gentleman

Game Agent/Engineer at FGL.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic