Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 04:59:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95379 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »

yeah but must video cards automatically letterbox or scale if the resolution is weird. but like rinku said something like 500x500 would probably freeze some people's computers because of weird drivers. I had an older computer that would do that, but nowadays I think most cards/drivers are capable of either letter-boxing/scaling weird resolutions (like 500x500) using the lowest supported resolution (generally 640x580) but not all can do that. like-wise I can enter 2000x2000 and my computer would just set it to my monitor's highest supported resolution (1600x1200) and letter-box the aspect ratio.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2011, 12:11:36 PM »

Oh, I see. Maybe it's just my laptop that only supports very few resolutions then. It's only got a crappy integrated graphics chip, so that might be why.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »

hmm, that's interesting, i didn't know modern video cards acted that way, i'll have to try it. i'm more familiar with old videocards, which would just crash or show a black screen forever if you tried to change to an unsupported resolution

that's often why they have those countdown messages that say something like 'click here if you want to keep this resolution in the next 15 seconds or it'll return to the previous resolution' -- those messages exist to make sure the person can see the resolution and it isn't all black

i suppose i could add a countdown message like that, too

deathtotheweird
« Reply #283 on: October 10, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »

Oh, I see. Maybe it's just my laptop that only supports very few resolutions then. It's only got a crappy integrated graphics chip, so that might be why.

yeah I think integrated chips and older cards don't have the kind of weird resolution support modern cards and drivers do now.

even still-depending on the game (especially older ones)-my computer will freeze (or show black screen forever) because the driver can't figure out a way to force the application to run in the lowest/highest resolution. so even on modern cards it will still happen.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:11 PM »

sorta-weekly update:

resumed creature redesigns / creature worldmap tasks, editing the world to make more creature-focused puzzles. focusing on the emberfly and rakari egg for this week; i fixed a bug which was causing the emberfly to not move correctly, and gave the rakari egg a new action. i also worked a bit on 'bumper' map object coding. and submitted the game to igf thanks to donations from mr. podunkian and haowan

next week i'm going to continue creature redesigns / creature worldmap tasks

some new screenshots:

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2011, 03:56:11 AM »

whoa, every screen you released so far looks amazing!

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: October 27, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »

I think I'll be skimming around the water listening to the music for awhile, taking it in. Those underwater craters are a nice touch.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »

yes, as i mentioned already: that's just the way GM works. there's no way to detect what a player's videocard / monitor can support in GM.

Doesn't GM let you use C++ code if you wish?

You could also build a small loader program to start different GM exe's depending on the resolution.

I dunno if you've ever touched C/C++, Eres, but determining system resolution isn't too hard.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »

yes, as also mentioned there was once a dll that did detect possible video modes, but that dll no longer works with current versions of GM. theoretically a new one like that could be created, and i may do that eventually, but it's not a priority right now (finishing the main parts of the game is)

and i have used C, but not C++; i also haven't touched C since the 90s, when i used to code games using it on my 486, so i'd have to re-learn a lot

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »

Hi Paul, it's great to see this game getting so close to completion(even if that happens next year)! This game used to have a wiki or something right? I remember reading about its different creatures on it (or was I dreaming?). I really really love the idea of having this ecosystem and interacting with it to get what you want!
I'm dying to play this thing! Congrats on the great job! Beer!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2011, 01:39:07 AM »

thanks; there was a wiki, and still is, but i had to make the wiki private because it kept getting edited by spammers, even though i explicitly turned editing for non-admins off the spammers keep editing it somehow. so the easiest way to avoid that was to move it to a private location that only i and the dev team know about

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2011, 03:56:19 AM »

any chance for getting that link on private message?

i'd love to read more about the game Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2011, 06:01:34 AM »

any chance for getting that link on private message?

i'd love to read more about the game Smiley

sorry for the delay in reply; i think it's too out of date to be interesting, and it contains spoilers, so you're probably better off not reading it yet -- it'd be like reading the binding of isaac wiki before playing it. i do plan on making some videos which describe the game, though, which would be more up to date. i'll link to them here when they're done

anyway, (bi-)weekly progress report:

most of the last two weeks was spent continuing the 'creature redesigns' which aim to make the behavior of the less interesting creatures more interesting, and in editing the worldmap to make creature-type themed area puzzles; in the process fixing and balancing a lot of creatures

i also edited the worldmap quite a bit, making the local mammoths harder to access by focusing the challenges/puzzles around them; now you can't just walk up to the local mammoths without a few friending puzzles on the way, but at least you have the choice between different alternative puzzles in order to reach them

next week i'm going to finish up the creature redesigns and worldmap edits, and hopefully send out the playtesting version to playtesters (including some who volunteered in this thread), and then maybe test out hostile local mammoths near end-game conditions (i need to work on those some more)

here are some new screenshots; note that a lot of them have the "fraps" frame rate counter in the corner. that number is low in some pictures mainly because i haven't yet fully optimized the game as much as i'd like, and because it's taking screenshots every few seconds (which slows the game a bit), but also because my computer is a little old. but in most parts of the game it runs at a steady 60fps, even on my computer:

ink.inc
« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »

Tears of Joy
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »

looking sweet paul
onigi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2011, 06:19:27 AM »

whoa...there is a dreamy screenshots...
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: November 10, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »

Looking dreamy indeed. Would love to see it in motion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:25:20 AM by esc » Logged

Okkwogg
Level 0

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »

Wow it's looking seriously incredible! Really inspiring!  Hand Fork LeftKissHand Knife Right

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »

I was wondering reading all this, Is there GM game on Steam?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »

I was wondering reading all this, Is there GM game on Steam?

there's one: legend of fae (puzzle game)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/109200

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic