Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 03:39:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFaster Blaster = Metroid + Blaster Master Mash-up
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Faster Blaster = Metroid + Blaster Master Mash-up  (Read 13103 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »

Really cool lighting effects and style. Posting to follow. Keep up the good work!

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »

Ooooh! The Frank Engine is in C++!  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »

Linkshot: Ok, I'll think about that. I also want to try that idea of using the laser as a tractor beam to get pickups.

SolarLune: Thanks! This game is kind of a test to see how much good lighting can add to simple graphics.

Oskuro: Yeah man, let me know if you give it a shot, it should build really easy out of the box.
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 12:19:45 PM »

WHOA. This game has some awesome aesthetic and great gameplay. I love the lighting. This has to be the coolest thing I've seen in the devlogs since I started browsing.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »

I'm nearing the end of the game again.

I've played a little with the editor, so I don't know how that effected some of my experiences on this playthrough. Some bats have exploded on the ceiling when I was trying to jump and shoot them in midair (the stronger, second phase ones). I still see question blocks for info.

The few times I tried to use the editor, the vehicle often got stuck moving around in terrain, and I've been able to fall outside of the map more than once.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »

Raycast: Thanks!

ithamore: A couple notes on the editor. The editor is mainly intended for my own ease of use and rapid prototyping style. It automatically saves any changes whenever you switch back to gameplay. You can just delete the terrain.2dt file if you want to reset to what it should be. Deleting that will not hurt your save game which is the blast.sav file. Also whenever you switch back to gameplay the player is automatically positioned where the mouse was. It is a little weird at first but works really well once you get used to it!

I will take a look at the exploding bats, could be due to my recent change to make them resist lasers, thanks!
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »

10/10

Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »

Ok, this sound epic.

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 06:45:04 PM »

thanks guys!

version 0.87406
  • fixed bug with bats exploding in the ceiling
  • laser opens blue doors again
  • some level design tweaks

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »

One problem with having a level editor that is so fun to use is I can't stop myself from making tweaks. New version is up with many level design improvements.

• It used to be possible to skip a huge portion on the way to the jump boost which is now mandatory. I decided the gameplay there is too important to allow the player to skip. There is still a large optional section in upper left that can accessed any time after the laser upgrade, but it no longer is possible to use it as a shortcut to the jump boost ruins.
  • Better design for rooms in the upper left where you need the jump boost to get the energy tank.
  • Got rid of the missile door just after the last save before final boss.
  • Added a laser wall around the final door switch.
  • Many other small tweaks/beautification.
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 06:56:12 PM »

I was messing around and playing with only the final lighting channel being shown. Decided it looked cool enough to make video...

http://youtu.be/LDYXCOX0rg0
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »

Oh, shiny! Hand Thumbs Up Left Unplayable, but sure looking cool!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:04 AM »

Schrompf: Yes sir, very difficult to play, but I do wonder if I could make a game that looks like this on purpose and is playable.

New build up with fixes for few issues that were really bugging me.
  • Better art for balance beams. This was the last piece of art that was totally placeholder.
  • Fix pause screen not being visible during the fade in/out overlay on start/death.
  • Fix explosion sounds not playing loud enough during final escape.
  • Give crates an emissive glow in the center.
  • Fix crash that would sometimes happen after death if your wheels went too far.
  • More level design tweaks.
Cloudiest Nights
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »

Schrompf: Yes sir, very difficult to play, but I do wonder if I could make a game that looks like this on purpose and is playable.

As I was watching the video, I thought these graphics could be made into an interestisng game of its own.

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »

As I was watching the video, I thought these graphics could be made into an interestisng game of its own.

I'll second that.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:51 AM »

The theme for Ludum Dare 26 this weekend was Minimalism so I decided to explore my technique of using the lighting accumulator as the final render as some suggested. One of the little touches you might notice is how doors slide open rather then just fading off, I will be bringing that over to Faster Blaster soon.

More info, video, and download on my website.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:08:49 PM by FrankForce » Logged
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:57 AM »

I just made an animated gif...

Having some problems with color banding artifacts in the gif, not sure what is causing it.
DAISHI
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »

This looks super duper. Master Blaster was one of my favorite games.

The Golden Anvil - A Handdrawn Adventure Game

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32975.0
Daz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:04 AM »

Awesome Smiley I've tested it some minutes and I like it. Blaster Master is one of my all-time favorite games, so this is my kind of game. One thing that bugged me is the mix between pixelled graphics and that light engine. Are the graphics placeholders?

EDIT: Woops! Looks like I've tested an old version!

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »

Awesome Smiley I've tested it some minutes and I like it. Blaster Master is one of my all-time favorite games, so this is my kind of game. One thing that bugged me is the mix between pixelled graphics and that light engine. Are the graphics placeholders?

EDIT: Woops! Looks like I've tested an old version!

The mix of pixelated graphics and dynamic lighting is what I'm going for. The graphics are mostly final though I will add more stuff eventually. Where did you get ahold of an old version?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic