Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:13:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIndie Marketing on a $0 budget
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Marketing on a $0 budget  (Read 4648 times)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »

Thank you Dewitters for a fact-based and well-researched response!    Hand Clap

Thanks! That's the great thing about internet, you can go back in time and see what actually happened at the beginning.

I also have a theory about the 'word of mouth' that everybody talks about. Unfortunately this one isn't well-researched, so take it with a grain of salt.

In my opinion, people didn't say "Hey, take a look at this awesome game called Minecraft!". They said "Hey, look at this awesome thing I made (in Minecraft)". People tend to say "look at me" more than they say "look at him" (when it's any good).

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »

Great comments in this thread, lots of stuff to be learned!

Just wanted to commment on Zach Barth.  While he probably did pass up a goldmine on Infiniminer, there's no way of knowing if the timing was right for Infiniminer itself.  Zach went on to have some success with Spacechem (full disclosure, I did the art for that game) , enough to quit his job at Microsoft and start a small indie studio.

Zach's history of game making might also be of interest.  He made a series of free games (including Infinimer) and built up a small but loyal fanbase while at the same time honing his game making skills.  By the time he released Spacechem, he already had a core group that would buy it and help spread the word.  Luckily that word spread to Valve, and the the rest is history.

joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 12:48:56 AM »

Oh I didn't realise he did Space Chem too!  I remember that was featured for a while on Steam some time ago.

Re: word of mouth yeah that's an interesting one - it would be cool to look into virality, social media etc.. and be able to use that somehow  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic