Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 05:30:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBig Big Trouble in Little Tokyo, an 8-bit style RPG about toxic waste.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo, an 8-bit style RPG about toxic waste.  (Read 2189 times)
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2023, 02:47:57 PM »

Hi! It's Neils4. I just made some updates to my game, Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo. First of all, some songs and sound effects were made by the musician I am working with:

Songs updated:

1. Toxic Puddle Battle Music

2. Ooze Battle Music

Sound effects updated:

1. Sound for winning a battle

2. Factory Buzzer sound

3. Funky Dog encounter sound

4. Game Over sound

5. Got Away Safely sound

6. Ooze encounter sound

7. Punch sound

Now the game has more of an 8-bit sound to it.
I also added a new monster, the Tex-Mex Snake, which the player encounters on Planet Xardiak.

In case you were wondering, here is the breakdown of the monsters in the game:

1. Funky Dog, encountered in the city, HP = 25, Yen = 250

2. Mutant Rat, encountered at the Toxic Waste Dump, HP = 50, Yen = 500

3. Toxic Puddle, encountered at the Toxic Waste Dump, HP = 75, Yen = 1000

4. Tex-Mex Snake, encountered on Planet Xardiak, HP = 100, Yen = 1250

5. Ooze, the alien boss, encountered in the Factory, HP = 150, Yen = 2500

The latest version of the game, version 46 is available on my itch.io site at:

https://neils4.itch.io/big-big-trouble-in-little-tokyo
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:42:20 AM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 07:41:42 PM »

Hello! It's Neils4. Some updates have been made to Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo. First of all, three new sound effects have been added:

1. The mutant rat claw sound

2. Sound when the mutant rat hisses

3. Sound played when you try to load a file but no file is found

Also, pyramids have been added to Planet Xardiak! Inside of them players will fight a new monster, the Protocol Droid! It has an HP of 120 and gives Nakamura 1250 Yen when defeated! I've been trying to fix little errors in the code here and there. My next plan is to completely renovate the battle system with a new graphical user interface similar to the ones seen in the games Phantasy Star III and Shining Force II with images for Attack, Run, Defend, and Item.

The latest version of the game, version 48 is available on my itch.io site at:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 07:46:47 PM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 07:45:33 PM »

Hey, It's Neils4. I have a pretty big update for BBTILT(Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo) for you. Here's what changed:

1. Graphical User Interface(GUI) added to battles. I will work on items and defending in battle later. Currently, attack and run work fine.

2. Fixed cave graphical error.

3. Added Nakamura speaking graphics and voice to cave scene and Ooze scene.

4. Fixed bug involving options automatically selected in battle, shooting in Bug Blaster, as well as to and from a battle.

5. Improved Protocol Droid colors.

6. Changed location of Sushi Pizza bar and other checkpoints.

7. Put trees in the City and Toxic Waste Dump world maps.

8. Raised Nakamura's starting HP from 50 to 75.

Also, one new music track, played when Nakamura is flying through space in Ooze's Spaceship, has been added!

You can download the latest version, version 50 on my itch.io site at:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 08:01:13 PM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 01:33:11 PM »

Hey! It's Neils4 again. This time some major updates have been done on Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo:

1. Changed font so it is smaller and fixed text.

2. Made it so Nakamura only has to defeat two Funky Dogs to get the Toxic Waste Dump Key.

3. Fixed toxic ooze sample pickup scene

4. Added five jokes to the Sushi Pizza Bar option 3: Embarrassing Joke.

5. Changed Pumpkin Kid Bug Blaster high score to 50.

6. Added Defend to battle GUI.

7. Added Inventory to battle GUI(Currently 2 cookies and 1 hamburger).

8. Added inventory to status menu.

9. Fixed cave scene speech with Pumpkin Kid.

10. Changed Funky Dog, Mutant Rat, and Toxic Puddle encounter rates so Nakamura encounters them more often.

11. Fixed error in the factory involving Nakamura returning to the Toxic Waste Dump for no reason.

Finally, two new music tracks have been added:

1. Planet Xardiak overworld music

2. Bug Blaster music
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 05:46:40 PM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 03:28:11 PM »

Hello, it's Neils4 again. In this update, my friend Mark, the musician I am working with, has gone all out to improve the sounds and music of the game! Here's a little secret: He is the same musician who composed music for the game Snake XT! This is what he has done:

Sounds:

1. Nakamura's voice

2. Geisha's voice

3. Pumpkin Kid's Voice

4. Sushi Chef's voice

5. Ooze the alien's voice and other alien encounter sounds

Music:

1. City Overworld music

2. Nakamura's House

3. Protocol Droid Battle Music

That's right...THREE new awesome songs...inspired by Phantasy Star and Earthbound! I also took a little extra time to modify the enemy encounter rate so it is not too much or too little...it's slowly getting more accurate.
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 01:03:28 PM »

Hi! Happy New Year! It's Neils4 again with another big sound update from Mark. Here are the new files that have been updated:

1. The door locked sound

2. The door unlocking sound

3. The Embarrassing joke reaction sound

4. The Funky Dog poop sound

5. The Ooze psychic attack sound

6. The Ooze telekinesis attack sound

7.  The Protocol Droid computing sound

8. The Protocol Droid encounter sound

9. The Protocol Droid zap sound

Please let me know what you would like to see in the game. It would be good to have recommendations for what monsters you would like to see. Maybe users could draw pictures of them and post them in the forum section. I'm always working on improving the game here and there so that it runs better. Currently I am working on Planet Xardiak. There is a pyramid that you encounter there. Outside of the pyramid you encounter the Tex-Mex snake enemy. Upon entering the pyramid you encounter the Protocol Droid enemy. Some suggestions for what happens next would be useful.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 07:29:40 AM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 03:48:50 PM »

Hi! It's Neils4 again. This time I have a small update: The final song making the Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo soundtrack completely original has been completed! It's the Tex-Mex Snake Battle Music. Now there are only some sound files to be made for the game. The music in the game was heavily influenced by Phantasy Star and Earthbound. The latest version of the game has been posted on itch.io for you to play!
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 05:43:49 AM »

Hello, it's Neils4 again. Mark, the musician I am working with has again made progress on the game's audio. He made six new sound files for the game. He is almost done making all of the sound effects for the game. This is what he has done:

1. Toxic puddle sound when it spews smoke.

2. Toxic puddle sound when it does pollution attack.

3. Sound played when you walk on the staircase in the Factory and the Cave.

3. Tex-Mex Snake encounter sound

4. Tex-Mex Snake bite sound

5. The sound when the Tex-Mex Snake shakes its rattle.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 07:29:18 AM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 02:34:58 PM »

Hi everyone! Neils4 here with some exciting news. Mark, the game's musician has finished all of the music and sound files currently used in the game. This means that there is no more filler material. It's a 100% original game designed by me and him! Unfortunately we have only had 2 people download the game so far, but it's not too late to start! Give the game a try and tell us what you think! Now that it's all original there's no reason not to.  

Here are the files he just finished:

1. Car horn sound when you return to the city

2. Sound when the Toxic Puddle slimes Nakamura

3. Geisha kiss sound

4. Bug Blaster bug hit sound

5. Bug Blaster new high score sound

6. Funky Dog pee sound
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 05:32:06 PM »

Hi everyone! Neils4 here. I made some updates to BBTILT! First of all I made it so that the number of in-battle hamburgers and cookies you have is saved when you go to Nakamura's House. Next, I fixed a mistake that caused the City Overworld Music to not loop properly. I also added a Robot Farm inside of the pyramid on Planet Xardiak. You must now obtain the Xardiak ID to fit in on Planet Xardiak. You get it from Pumpkin Kid after beating his high score in Bug Blaster and talking with him in the Cave in the Factory.
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 01:24:13 PM »

I just added a small Ferris wheel graphic to the City World Map. You can't interact with it but it makes the background more visually appealing. I remember a time when the background had nothing so it doesn't hurt. ^_^ I also added the Planet Xardiak ID Card graphic and updated the code so that it fits into the items menu as well as the dialogue that takes place on the Robot Farm. There are two new videos on my YouTube channel so you can see how nice the game sounds and looks now. As you can hear, all of the audio is original! Please let me know what you want to see in the game and leave some comments! I am especially interested in knowing what monsters you would like to see!
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 02:53:59 PM »

Hello everyone! I just added a little white cat named Shiro to Planet Xardiak. You encounter him after you make it past the Robot Farm. As you can see from the video, QB64 slows down when there are too many calculations to be made. It has to account for Nakamura walking, the cat walking, whether or not the status menu is selected, if the player exits the program, and whether or not Nakamura returns to the Pyramids. That's a lot even for QB64. Another skill I have not mastered is masking my graphics so they can move on top of one another. This would especially help when moving graphics over backgrounds. I ordered some books on moving from QBASIC to C and I hope to learn a lot from them. I think it would be funny if Shiro referred to Planet Xardiak as "The biggest litter box he has ever seen" due to all of the sand and dust on the planet. ^_^ 
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 12:04:08 PM »

Just a small update. I made a title screen for Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo. The latest version of the game, version 66 is now available for play!
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 07:16:44 PM »

Hello. I've been working on Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo a lot recently. Here's the big list of all the updates:

1. I added Jizo statues to the City and the Toxic Waste Dump and updated Shiro the cat's walking animation so it looks more realistic.

2. I added new garbage cans to the Toxic Waste Dump and to the Factory. I also added graphics to the Cave so it looks like a real cave now. The enemy encounter rate is also much better now in my opinion.

3. Now, Nakamura can enter the Amusement Park, depicted by the Ferris Wheel in the City, and fight against Creepy Clowns! To get an Amusement Park pass, he has to give catnip to Shiro the Cat on Planet Xardiak after making it past the Robot Farm. The catnip can be found in a secret compartment in the Cave. I've also been fixing up little bugs here and there in the game. I have been using the Discord server called "Game Dev League." My username there is neils4123

You can access it at this link and add me as a friend if you want. I have been streaming my programming of the game there recently:

https://discord.com/invite/gamedev

4. Graphics were added for pyramids on Planet Xardiak, the Catnip, and the Amusement Park Pass.

My Youtube Channel is at:

https://www.youtube.com/@Neils4123/videos

and my itch.io site is at:

Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 02:55:44 PM »

Hi! It's Neils4 with some exciting news! I added a new enemy to the game. It's called the Rowdy Roach and Nakamura encounters it at the Toxic Waste Dump if he stays there long enough. This enemy was requested by an itch.io user named DarkBloodbane! Thank you very much DarkBloodbane! I hope to add more of the enemies you requested soon! These are videos of the Rowdy Roach battle as well as DarkBloodbane's name in the credits!

Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 12:00:32 PM »

Hi! It's Neils4 with some really cool news! I put another one of DarkBloodbane's enemies; the Bad Biker Cool, into Big Big Trouble in Little Tokyo! This enemy is a little different because he can heal himself. He does so by smoking cigarettes because he's so "bad" that doing so would heal someone like him. ^_^ He peels out on his motorcycle to attack Nakamura and says, "I'm bad!" I also made the attack system a little more interesting. Now Nakamura has a one in five chance of landing a critical hit! This means he takes away 10 HP from monsters instead of just 5 HP by punching! I also modified the enemy encounter rate a little because it was too high and may still be a bit high. I also modified the amount of YEN and HP Nakamura starts with as well as the amount of HP and YEN monsters have. The game appears to be a bit more balanced now. I plan on putting a Baseball Stadium in the Amusement Park area next.   
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:41:34 AM by Neils4 » Logged
Neils4
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 10:40:38 AM »

I just finished implementing the character Bat Man in the game! I also put a Baseball Stadium in the Amusement Park area. Nakamura encounters Bat Man there and fights against him. Bat Man drops a baseball bat after Nakamura defeats him. Also, Mark, the game's musician, has created a new music track for the game! It's original Creepy Clown battle music and it's really cool! When Nakamura uses the Baseball Bat in battle, it is much stronger than his fist and takes away more HP from monsters! Now Nakamura can purchase cookies and hamburgers at the Sushi Pizza bar for use in battle scenes! Nakamura also gains more HP from eating food at the bar!  Noir
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:50:11 AM by Neils4 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic